37 (62.7%)
No need to trade for him now when we could sign him for free this offseason
11 (18.6%)
I don't want another non rim protecting big on the C's
3 (5.1%)
This is agent posturing and it will take more than a first to trade for him
4 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: Monroe only costs a 1st rounder? (according to Sporting News)  (Read 14576 times)

Re: Would You trade a First for Greg Monroe
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2014, 05:45:15 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I'd give up a late first for him even without having Bird rights because there is almost no way a player drafted with that late first is anywhere near as good as Monroe.  If it really was just Bass and the Clippers pick for Monroe, I would do that in a heartbeat.  Monroe as starting center is a clear upgrade.  I also don't think we would get any one better in the cap space this summer than Monroe, so see no issue with signing him to a 4 year, 50-60 million dollar contract.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2014, 05:46:11 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I'm not sure he's a center defensively. It would be disappointing to sign him and find out he can't protect the rim any better than Zeller.
I think we may have better options out there.
He may not be able to protect the rim better, but he has been a 15+/9+ player every single year for the last 4 years.  There aren't a lot of those players out there, especially ones that are 6'11" with a big frame.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Monroe only costs a 1st rounder? (according to Sporting News)
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2014, 05:52:21 PM »

Offline Hawkeye199

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 131
Then okc should try and get him. they trade their 2015 first rounder for him. make him the starting center. ibaka is the rim protecter and okc gets even better
zach lavine-jeremy lin-tyus jones
jeremy lamb-tyshen prince-Andre miller
will barton- beljina-
Kevin love-kevin garnet-payne
Karl anthoney Towns-JJ hickson

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2014, 05:56:00 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If he agreed to an extension, I 'd think hard about it.

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2014, 06:06:30 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I also don't think we would get any one better in the cap space this summer than Monroe, so see no issue with signing him to a 4 year, 50-60 million dollar contract.

I think Monroe is probably going to be seeking something closer to 4 years and 65-70 million.  If people think that some teams might throw the max at Rondo, I don't see why there won't be teams willing to give Monroe the maximum allowed.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2014, 06:12:02 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
If he agreed to an extension, I 'd think hard about it.

He can't.  He can't even negotiate a nod-and-wink deal with the Celtics, since they will not know how much they can offer him until July.

« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2014, 06:12:22 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I find it remarkable that G Monroe averages only .18 blks per game. In 30.3 minutes per game. He has played in 22 games. He has 45 fouls and 4 blks on the year. He's tied with two other guys for 181rst in the league. For his career he's a .6 blk per game guy.

That is really bad. I don't see how we become a great defensive team again like that.

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2014, 06:13:04 PM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
my main concern re: monroe is the contract he'll demand (and get). he's not a max player (though he's close), but i can't imagine he won't get that. if we could resign him for less than the max, then yeah, i'd be so down w/ trading for him.

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2014, 06:17:54 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
If we already had a player like Love or an impact wing as we push towards the playoffs then I'd consider it.
Problem is he's just not good enough for me as a long term solution at center for us.
If we give up a pick for him now we only get him for the rest of this season and then he's a free agent. I don't wanna spend the money on him that he'll probably command ie 14/15 million per year. Would rather give that money to Hibbert.

TP. Cs wouldn't have his Bird Rights. It's likely we'd have to overpay him to keep him this summer.

Lacking Bird rights is what prevents the C's from overpaying him, as their dollars to spend will be much more limited.  Of course, it's why such a trade would be stupid, because why give a first for someone who migbt get you to .500 on the season before leaving?

For the Monroe fans out there, the time to realistically talk about him is next July, when offering a first and Wallace's expiring contract to match salaries will make a lot more sense than offering a first now while being unable to re-sign him.

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2014, 06:19:05 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I also don't think we would get any one better in the cap space this summer than Monroe, so see no issue with signing him to a 4 year, 50-60 million dollar contract.

I think Monroe is probably going to be seeking something closer to 4 years and 65-70 million.  If people think that some teams might throw the max at Rondo, I don't see why there won't be teams willing to give Monroe the maximum allowed.

I don't think either player gets the max. Monroe's value has fallen a bit since two years ago when he was on the Cousins / Drummond projectory. Monroe has plateaued as a player, and while he is a nice center, he gets almost no blocks and his scoring / rebounding is only above average. He will get a nice deal, but more in like with what Josh Smith got - if that (everybody talked about Smith getting 'the max', too, and that didn't happen). I also feel the same about Rondo's next contract - love love love him as a player, but if he can't break 10 PPG, no way does a team sign him for a max contract.

Feel free to reference this post next summer. I really think the term, 'max contract' gets overused around here. Wasn't Lance Stephenson also supposed to be a max player?

« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2014, 06:22:28 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
If we already had a player like Love or an impact wing as we push towards the playoffs then I'd consider it.
Problem is he's just not good enough for me as a long term solution at center for us.
If we give up a pick for him now we only get him for the rest of this season and then he's a free agent. I don't wanna spend the money on him that he'll probably command ie 14/15 million per year. Would rather give that money to Hibbert.

TP. Cs wouldn't have his Bird Rights. It's likely we'd have to overpay him to keep him this summer.

Lacking Bird rights is what prevents the C's from overpaying him, as their dollars to spend will be much more limited.  Of course, it's why such a trade would be stupid, because why give a first for someone who migbt get you to .500 on the season before leaving?

For the Monroe fans out there, the time to realistically talk about him is next July, when offering a first and Wallace's expiring contract to match salaries will make a lot more sense than offering a first now while being unable to re-sign him.

Yes, I was un-clearly referring to that. We don't have his Bird Rights, and there's no reason he'd want to stay unless we threw money at him. We'd have to use the stretch provision on Wallace to even do so, as I saw in another thread.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2014, 06:23:27 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I'd give up a late first for him even without having Bird rights because there is almost no way a player drafted with that late first is anywhere near as good as Monroe.  If it really was just Bass and the Clippers pick for Monroe, I would do that in a heartbeat.  Monroe as starting center is a clear upgrade.  I also don't think we would get any one better in the cap space this summer than Monroe, so see no issue with signing him to a 4 year, 50-60 million dollar contract.

And, TP - I agree with this post. Giving up a late first isn't going to kill us and, as you said, that player will be lucky if he is even a rotation player. If we really like Monroe, we can find a way to clear Wallace's contract - somehow. Also, maybe we can convince Green to opt in (we were nice to him, maybe he will repay the favor). It benefits him to wait a year anyway when contracts are supposedly ready to explode.

« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2014, 06:26:49 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I believe that a team signing Monroe loses his Bird rights, meaning that the most we can give him is 120% of his current salary.  His salary is around $5.5 million, so if we traded for him, we could sign him to a contract starting around $6.6 million next year.

That's not going to get it done.  Now, if we clear significant cap room, we don't have to rely upon an exception to sign him, and can just use cap space.  However, that's a possibility with or without a trade.

Okay, so does that mean in the event he gets traded the most he could start off making the first year FROM ANY TEAM is 120% of his current salary since he loses his bird rights?  If that is the case, I would GLADLY give a late first for him. If this is how it works, he's not really a flight risk if no other team can offer a higher salary for him.  The only issue would be opening the cap space to fit him in, which I think we could easily do.

This doesn't seem right, so could someone explain this in a little more detail?

« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2014, 06:32:40 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I believe that a team signing Monroe loses his Bird rights, meaning that the most we can give him is 120% of his current salary.  His salary is around $5.5 million, so if we traded for him, we could sign him to a contract starting around $6.6 million next year.

That's not going to get it done.  Now, if we clear significant cap room, we don't have to rely upon an exception to sign him, and can just use cap space.  However, that's a possibility with or without a trade.

Okay, so does that mean in the event he gets traded the most he could start off making the first year FROM ANY TEAM is 120% of his current salary since he loses his bird rights?  If that is the case, I would GLADLY give a late first for him. If this is how it works, he's not really a flight risk if no other team can offer a higher salary for him.  The only issue would be opening the cap space to fit him in, which I think we could easily do.

This doesn't seem right, so could someone explain this in a little more detail?

Teams with sufficient cap space could offer him up to a max contract.  For Monroe, that would start at roughly $15 million (or a bit more) with annual raises.

The reason Bird rights are important is that they allow a team to exceed the salary cap to sign one of their own free agents. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2014, 06:36:52 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I don't think giving up a pick for a rental that comes with no bird rights is worth it for the C's.
agree
I'd like him on team if he would agree to sign or sign and trade but partial year rental when he can head to highest bidder AND improve team enough that it affects our draft pick no
i voted to go after him (if we truly want him) when he becomes free agent
would like his offense on block but at same time I want to see how zeller develops playing with rondo
we still DO NOT need to rush into any trades, ainge is sitting with a good loaded hand, we can hold out for wallace, bass expiring deals to playoff bound teams, really look hard at quality sg players with assets and of course the center position