37 (62.7%)
No need to trade for him now when we could sign him for free this offseason
11 (18.6%)
I don't want another non rim protecting big on the C's
3 (5.1%)
This is agent posturing and it will take more than a first to trade for him
4 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: Monroe only costs a 1st rounder? (according to Sporting News)  (Read 14632 times)

Re: Monroe only costs a 1st rounder? (according to Sporting News)
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2014, 04:32:21 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2014-12-15/nba-trade-rumor-greg-monroe-detroit-pistons-celtics-suns

Does Bass plus the Clippers pick get it done?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=odpag4a

Even if he ends up not signing here in the off-season, would it be worth the risk?

I don't think the risk is worth the reward, adding Monroe to this team doesn't make the Cs anything more then a boarder line playoff team. Its not worth a 1st round pick to add a few wins this season.

Not even a late first rounder like the Clips or Cavs picks?

Not even for the clippers pick.Trading for Monroe is trading for a player that the Cs have no bird rights to next season who plays the same position as two of our current young players. I like Monroe and think he is going to end up excelling on his next team. The spurs seem like a great fit as a PF in their system. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2014, 04:32:57 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
The only scenario I do something like this is if I also have a trade for Sully that nets more than a first rounder in value

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2014, 04:33:33 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
I don't think giving up a pick for a rental that comes with no bird rights is worth it for the C's.

This.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2014, 04:36:32 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I believe that a team signing Monroe loses his Bird rights, meaning that the most we can give him is 120% of his current salary.  His salary is around $5.5 million, so if we traded for him, we could sign him to a contract starting around $6.6 million next year.

That's not going to get it done.
Depending on how big of a contract Rondo got couldn't we conceivably deal or stretch Wallace in order to get the cap space to give him at least a $10 MM contract?
Yes.

Of course given that Jeff Green is likely to opt out such a move might not be necessary, though there are lot moving parts to the entire idea.

Re: Would You trade a First for Greg Monroe
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2014, 04:39:32 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
mods, we already have another thread on this. could you combine the two?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2014, 04:41:34 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
This has been said before, and it should be said every single time this idea comes up.  Monroe's Bird rights do not transfer with him.  Accordingly, to sign him in the off-season would require we have the cap space to do so.  Unless the Pistons are willing to take on Wallace's contract in return, we are unlikely to have the requisite cap space to offer him a max deal.  Even if the Pistons take on Wallace, are likely faced with a choice of 2 of Rondo, Monroe, and Green.

So here are the questions: Is it worth a 1st rounder having Monroe for 2/3 of a season and risking that you lose him to a team with enough cap room willing to outbid you?  And if you think no team will outbid you, is it really worth a 1st round pick to get a guy for 2/3 of a season when you could just sign him next summer anyway if you really want?

Again, this isn't "he walks at the end of the season because he doesn't like it in Boston".  This is "he walks at the end of the season because another team can and wants to offer him millions more per year."  To me, it's not worth the risk, because it's likely Monroe will go to whomever offers him the most money, and it's unlikely the Celtics can be that team.

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2014, 04:55:15 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Probably , but not a 1-8 pick tho

I'd trade contracts and player .....with a draft pick

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2014, 04:56:59 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Would you trade Brandon Bass and a second-round pick for Monroe?  I'd probably do it, even if I would prefer to let Monroe walk rather than clear the cap space to sign him for max money.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2014, 04:57:10 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I believe that a team signing Monroe loses his Bird rights, meaning that the most we can give him is 120% of his current salary.  His salary is around $5.5 million, so if we traded for him, we could sign him to a contract starting around $6.6 million next year.

That's not going to get it done.
Depending on how big of a contract Rondo got couldn't we conceivably deal or stretch Wallace in order to get the cap space to give him at least a $10 MM contract?
Yes.

Of course given that Jeff Green is likely to opt out such a move might not be necessary, though there are lot moving parts to the entire idea.

And if Jeff Green opts out, he takes up all of the cap space until he either re-signs, signs elsewhere, or is renounced.  Also, I find the idea of Monroe agreeing to a contract of only $10 mil in year 1 pretty laughable.

Also, Monroe has no-trade power.  If he sees himself as a power forward, why would he agree to be traded here?  Finally, his agent is the same as Green's and Sully's (as wel as Tuner's).  While the agent should act in each player's best interest, David Falk has a lot of insider knowledge as to whether or not the C's will be able to pony up for Monroe in the summer (based on Green's decision), and how well Monroe would fit into the Celtics lineup (based on Sullinger).  If either of those are less-than-ideal, Monroe would be well-advised to not agree to come to Boston.

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2014, 05:14:24 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
No.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2014, 05:16:01 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
If we already had a player like Love or an impact wing as we push towards the playoffs then I'd consider it.
Problem is he's just not good enough for me as a long term solution at center for us.
If we give up a pick for him now we only get him for the rest of this season and then he's a free agent. I don't wanna spend the money on him that he'll probably command ie 14/15 million per year. Would rather give that money to Hibbert.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2014, 05:34:17 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
If we already had a player like Love or an impact wing as we push towards the playoffs then I'd consider it.
Problem is he's just not good enough for me as a long term solution at center for us.
If we give up a pick for him now we only get him for the rest of this season and then he's a free agent. I don't wanna spend the money on him that he'll probably command ie 14/15 million per year. Would rather give that money to Hibbert.

TP. Cs wouldn't have his Bird Rights. It's likely we'd have to overpay him to keep him this summer.

The only reason to do that is if we believed a foundation of Rondo-Green-Sully-Monroe was good enough to at least make the second round, at which point we'd have to re-sign Rondo to a near-max deal (overpay) and Green to Chandler Parsons-esque dough (another overpay). After all that, our cap flexibility would be shot, and it's far from a guarantee that we'd be able to find a way to add another star to that group that would make it championship caliber.

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2014, 05:40:04 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Clippers first rounder or Rondo.

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2014, 05:42:10 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
Clippers first rounder or Rondo.

You would be foolish to trade Rondo for a player whose Bird Rights we wouldn't own and who we would likely have to overpay in order to convince him to stay past this offseason.

Rondo's value isn't nearly as high as it once was, but he's still worth a late lotto first.

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2014, 05:42:29 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I'm not sure he's a center defensively. It would be disappointing to sign him and find out he can't protect the rim any better than Zeller.
I think we may have better options out there.