37 (62.7%)
No need to trade for him now when we could sign him for free this offseason
11 (18.6%)
I don't want another non rim protecting big on the C's
3 (5.1%)
This is agent posturing and it will take more than a first to trade for him
4 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: Monroe only costs a 1st rounder? (according to Sporting News)  (Read 14578 times)

Monroe only costs a 1st rounder? (according to Sporting News)
« on: December 15, 2014, 03:53:23 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2014-12-15/nba-trade-rumor-greg-monroe-detroit-pistons-celtics-suns

Does Bass plus the Clippers pick get it done?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=odpag4a

Even if he ends up not signing here in the offseason, would it be worth the risk?

Would You trade a First for Greg Monroe
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 03:56:13 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
According to NBA rules, Pistons forward Greg Monroe is now eligible to be traded. And, sources told Sporting News, he wants that, badly. But teams seeking Monroe will need to cough up a first-round pick, and that’s a sticking point.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2014-12-15/nba-trade-rumor-greg-monroe-detroit-pistons-celtics-suns

Would you give up a 2015 first for Monroe? Answer in the poll.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Re: Would You trade a First for Greg Monroe
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 03:58:21 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
According to NBA rules, Pistons forward Greg Monroe is now eligible to be traded. And, sources told Sporting News, he wants that, badly. But teams seeking Monroe will need to cough up a first-round pick, and that’s a sticking point.

Would you give up a first for Monroe? Answer in the poll.

KO, Bass, (Or switch between anyone consisting of Turner, Bradley, Thorton, Wallace) 1st rounder for Greg Monroe?

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 04:00:47 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

KO, Bass, (Or switch between anyone consisting of Turner, Bradley, Thorton, Wallace) 1st rounder for Greg Monroe?
From the tone of the article, I think the Pistons are asking for a first not a first plus additional talent. I would not give up KO in a deal for Monroe.

Someone just started another thread about this, can one of the mods merge.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 04:19:13 PM by Evantime34 »

Re: Monroe only costs a 1st rounder? (according to Sporting News)
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 04:10:36 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Like trading for any player who is going to be an unrestricted free agent, you have to make sure that you're already willing to sign that player to a long-term deal. This means you need to have an accurate gauge of what Monroe's expectations are and also what other competing teams would be willing to offer. If you give up a first rounder, basically he better be somebody you've communicated and negotiated with through back channels and feel confident that he's going to stick around. After all, this would be a long-term play for the Celtics since they are not really competing this year. This deal would be ensuring they have a leg up in Monroe's pending free agency.

I don't think a first rounder is worth that risk. Monroe didn't take the qualifying offer and risk injury just so he could take a team-friendly deal. This is his first big deal and he's going to the highest bidder. If you deal for him, you have to already have made up your mind that he's worth X amount of dollars.

1st rounders are like gold these days. Look at the deadline deals last year as evidence.

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 04:13:38 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

Even if he ends up not signing here in the off-season, would it be worth the risk?

I don't think the risk is worth the reward, adding Monroe to this team doesn't make the Cs anything more then a boarder line playoff team. Its not worth a 1st round pick to add a few wins this season.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 04:17:14 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

Even if he ends up not signing here in the off-season, would it be worth the risk?

I don't think the risk is worth the reward, adding Monroe to this team doesn't make the Cs anything more then a boarder line playoff team. Its not worth a 1st round pick to add a few wins this season.

Not even a late first rounder like the Clips or Cavs picks?

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 04:19:58 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

From the tone of the article, I think the Pistons are asking for a first not a first plus additional talent. I would not give up KO in a deal for Monroe.

fair enough...I was just trying to say "Hey Pistons, besides Rondo, Green, Sully and Smart, pick and choose your package for Monroe"

Say we do get Monroe

Rondo/SG/Green/Sully/Monroe

is KO and Zeller going to be our bigs off the bench?

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 04:21:10 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I mean, if Bass and the Clips or Cavs pick gets it done and we're fairly confident he'd sign with us in the offseason for under the max, I think you have to do it under those conditions.

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 04:21:30 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Not even a late first rounder like the Clips or Cavs picks?
the obvious question to your question is, why? why do the celtics want an additional 4-5 wins this season? unless you can resign monroe he provides a boost for this year alone. i would rather have ainge draft with a poor first round pick.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 04:28:34 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I believe that a team signing Monroe loses his Bird rights, meaning that the most we can give him is 120% of his current salary.  His salary is around $5.5 million, so if we traded for him, we could sign him to a contract starting around $6.6 million next year.

That's not going to get it done.  Now, if we clear significant cap room, we don't have to rely upon an exception to sign him, and can just use cap space.  However, that's a possibility with or without a trade.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 04:28:35 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Yes, I would give up a late first.

I wouldn't give up more than that because of the risk involved in Monroe possibly leaving this summer. I think it would be worth giving up a pick and bringing him here to try and sell him on the Celtics as the right place for him. Give Boston a leg up on other suitors when free agency happens. Also, getting Monroe in now and improving team performance will help make Boston more attractive both to Monroe and to other FAs. 

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 04:28:40 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't think giving up a pick for a rental that comes with no bird rights is worth it for the C's.

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 04:29:12 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I believe that a team signing Monroe loses his Bird rights, meaning that the most we can give him is 120% of his current salary.  His salary is around $5.5 million, so if we traded for him, we could sign him to a contract starting around $6.6 million next year.

That's not going to get it done.
Yup, we'll need to use salary cap space, so why give up a pick for him?

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 04:30:09 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

That's not going to get it done.
Depending on how big of a contract Rondo got couldn't we conceivably deal or stretch Wallace in order to get the cap space to give him at least a $10 MM contract?