Author Topic: 3 team melo to boston idea  (Read 2225 times)

3 team melo to boston idea
« on: December 13, 2014, 05:00:30 PM »

Offline Deezzyy

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
Boston Out: Wallace Bass thornton Sullinger Brooklyn 16 and 18 picks clips 15
Boston in: Shumpert Dalembert Melo

NYK out: Melo Dalembert shumpert Amare
NYK in: David Lee, iguodala, thornton, bass, sullinger brooklyn 16+18

GS out: Iguodala, Lee
GS in: Amare, Wallace, clips 15

Boston lineup:
Rondo
Shumpert/Bradley whichever one is not traded
Green or melo
Green or melo
Dalembert

Re: 3 team melo to boston idea
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 05:20:57 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
We don't need a 3-teamer to get Melo.  Melo can't be traded until Monday.  So on Monday you offer:

Jeff Green (9 mil), Wallace (10 mil), Marcus Smart (3 mil) for Melo (22 mil).  If you need to include 1st rounders to do it, you do it.

Why for Boston:  Everyone is going to have a collective panic attack, because I included Marcus Smart in the deal.  Whatever... we already have 1 crafty guard who can't shoot worth crap.  Smart is the price you pay to land an all-star like Melo.  Jeff Green's stock is at an all-time high.  SELL SELL SELL**.  Even at his best, he doesn't really help win games.  Don't buy into the fools gold of his hot performances so far.     

Seriously... Why for Boston:  Our guard rotation is a mess.  Smart is expendable if you're getting a borderline superstar.  Bradley is paid too well to move.  Turner and thornton can both provide punch off the bench.  James young projects to be a SG and I like what I see from him.   Rondo is our PG... embrace it. 

But really... WHY???? Despite the myths, Melo is a born winner.  He won a NCAA Title as a freshman and lead a bunch of average Denver teams consistently to the playoffs.  Up until last year, he had never missed the playoffs.  You add him, retain Melo, and you still have enough cap space this summer to lure in a big like Gasol.  You keep Sully.  You keep Oly.  You keep most of the draft picks.   This is the kind of "no-brainer" 3-for-1 upgrade the Celtics need to balance out their roster and set them up for a quicker turn-around.  Melo would absolutely improve this team and put them in a better position to make moves this summer.   Frankly, if you could get Melo for the low low price of Jeff Green, Marcus Smart, Wallace's horrid contract and picks, you HAVE to do it.

Why for the Knicks:  They shouldn't.  It would be a stupid move for them.  Just keep Melo and sign Rondo in the offseason.  Unless they are really REALLY high on SMart's ceiling or Melo is demanding a trade behind doors, it would be foolish for them to make this move.  They have buttloads of cap space next summer... they will sign Rondo and add Gasol themselves.

** - My backup plan is offering Green to the Hornets for a package of MKG and Biyombo... do it before both of those young guys break out and Green comes back down to Earth.   Probably just as implausible as going after Melo, though.  Most Hornets fans identify MKG as the 1st or second best player on the team... and I think we're about to see why pretty soon if he starts consistently getting 30+ minutes. 

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 05:24:44 PM »

Offline bmac934

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 7
What in your right mind makes you think Golden State would want to trade any of their starters right now, let alone for amare stoudemire and gerald wallace?  Awful.

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 06:01:23 PM »

Offline Deezzyy

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
What in your right mind makes you think Golden State would want to trade any of their starters right now, let alone for amare stoudemire and gerald wallace?  Awful.

Well Andre iguodala is averaging 6.5 pts 3.6 rebounds and 2 assist in 27 minutes. He is being payed 12+ million and does not really fit or play well in this new system. Also David Lee does not start 1. Because he is currently injured and 2. Draymond Green is playing much better than David Lee was when he was starting.  So basically they are paying 30+ million for a bad fit guy and a player who will be moving to the bench. I admit no one wants wallace but this move gives them a massimassive expiring contract in amare and cap space to resign Draymond green who is a free agent this offseason and even add another solid player to their team. So my question is why wouldn't they do this, they even get a first round pick out of it for taking wallace.

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 11:24:11 AM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17

Well Andre iguodala is averaging 6.5 pts 3.6 rebounds and 2 assist in 27 minutes. He is being payed 12+ million and does not really fit or play well in this new system. Also David Lee does not start 1. Because he is currently injured and 2. Draymond Green is playing much better than David Lee was when he was starting.  So basically they are paying 30+ million for a bad fit guy and a player who will be moving to the bench. I admit no one wants wallace but this move gives them a massimassive expiring contract in amare and cap space to resign Draymond green who is a free agent this offseason and even add another solid player to their team. So my question is why wouldn't they do this, they even get a first round pick out of it for taking wallace.

1. Teams that are leading the NBA at the time of deals usually make them with an eye on winning it all right now and tend to shy away from deals that make them weaker now even IF they feel they are getting long term positives.

2. It is 27M they are sending out, not 30. It is a huge difference and you have them taking back 33.

3. If Iguodala is such a horrible fit, then why are they giving him 27 minutes a night and who is going to take those 27 minutes a night? Wallace? You quote offense numbers for AI but his value is on the defensive side of the ball. He is an elite defender.

4. Money coming off the cap doesn't equal cap space. They are over the cap currently, so much of that 23M expiring is going to go to getting under the cap. They don't get to respend the entire 23M. Figuring in Green's cap hold, this trade would leave them with less than the mid-level exception, so they have no advantage of bringing in another solid player in free agency like you suggest.

5. They can use Bird rights to go over the cap to resign Green. No cap space is needed for that. However, I do think they will be hesitant to go over the luxury tax threshold to resign him and that might be what you were trying to say. However, if that is a consideration, then this deal would definitely be a no go since it would put Golden State over the tax threshold this season. If they are unwilling to go over the tax threshold for Draymond Green, then they certainly are not going over it for Gerald Wallace. More likely, they try to move Lee or Iguodala in the offseason to resign Green and stay under the threshold.

6. The Clippers pick is a sweetener to any deal but not a major consideration. The deal needs to make sense without it since it is most likely to be an extremely low value pick in the 24-28 range. Odds are stacked against you getting more than an end-of the bench type player with these picks. There are exceptions, but they are just that -- exceptions.

IMHO, there is no way Golden State goes near such a deal.

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 11:47:44 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
It would have to be THE steal of the century for DA to go after Melo on Purpose.   

Not seeing NY giving up their star either.   NYC needs glamor and star players .....because they are the big media market .

They ll keep him long as they can ...for same reasons LA kept KOBE ......fans expect STARs I those two huge cities ......scrubs won't do

The backlash of trading Melo for non stars would incite a riot.

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 04:24:28 AM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
News, verified or not, that Melo wants to be traded makes me uneasy.

Phil Jackson holds the key in this situation. With the trading season getting closer, why do I have this "funny" feeling that LAL would acquire Melo? The past 2 decades, LAL got Shaq and later Gasol. Superstars in their own right who undoubtedly helped bring championships. The Clippers or the Warriors should seriously consider trading for him. They got legit shot at the championship if either acquires him this season. Similarly, LAL would be in the mix once they get him - Kobe-Melo duo is absolutely lethal.

Phil, a Trojan horse?

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 06:25:59 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
So to improve our team we add Carmelo Anthony?
A big help in Stevens ball movement offense. :-[
A bigger help in the Celtics poor defense.  And we'd be giving up a very good defender in green and a great defender in smart

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 07:25:26 AM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
So to improve our team we add Carmelo Anthony?
A big help in Stevens ball movement offense. :-[
A bigger help in the Celtics poor defense.  And we'd be giving up a very good defender in green and a great defender in smart

My post has nothing to do with us acquiring Melo. I just posted my thoughts of him being acquired possibly by LAL in this topic since this is the most recent discussion where Melo is mentioned. The thought that he could be dealt with to our rival seems to be a game-changer for LAL. Even Lebron and his "new" teammates would have a hard time matching up with 2 legitimate very creative and skilled/talented scorers. Golden State, what with all their recent success in the early going, and Memphis, too, would find it very difficult to stop either one of them every time they meet.

I thought some other legitimately title contending team should snatch him from NY, i.e. GSW, LAC, Memphis to name a few.