Author Topic: MELO to BOS trade idea  (Read 9419 times)

Re: MELO to BOS trade idea
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2014, 03:20:31 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Rondo and Melo would match up really well.  I would trade Green, Wallace and the two Brooklyn picks for him.  But I'm not convinced NY wants to move him and rebuild from scratch.  That doesn't seem like Phil or Dolan's M.O.

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2014, 03:31:59 PM »

Online feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Why??

So we can be as bad as the knicks?
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2014, 03:42:14 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Why??

Do you think replacing Green with Melo would make the Celtics worse?

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2014, 03:46:43 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Why??

Yes, Danny traded for KG so we could be as bad as the 30 win TWolves.

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2014, 04:05:32 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I like a Mello NOT to Boston much  much better.

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2014, 04:20:17 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I have no desire to give up what is likely to be a lottery pick plus other prime assets for a declining 30 year old chucker who doesn't play defense. I'm laughing at some of these trades. Sully, Smart and the 2016 Brooklyn pick (lottery-likely) for 'Melo? That's far, far too much for this guy.

Anthony would make the Celtics better because he's a better player than Jeff Green, but ultimately he doesn't make the Cs a contender. With 'Melo, the Cs are probably a 4th, 5th or 6th seed team in the weak East. They might not even make the playoffs in the West. It's a trade into mediocrity and nothing more. Then when you add in his injury status, it may not be even that.

Nor do I think 'Melo will age all that well. He appears to be soft, thicker in the waist and his vertical lift is declining. His physical gifts are leaving him and he's not a guy like Pierce who can out-think his opposition because he's had to do it all his career (Pierce was always 'too slow" and yet he's one of the greats in Celtics history). Melo might have only a couple of good years left and then what? That's throwing good assets away in search of mediocrity. That's how the Celtics end up rebuilding again 3 years from now with nothing to show for it.

If we get Melo for a song then I have no problem with him being here. As I said, he makes the team better. But as structured, this team doesn't peak for 3 to 4 more years when Sully, Olynyk, Smart, Bradley and even guys like Zeller are in their primes. That's the future. That's when you trade for a stud who can come in and be that #1 piece. Danny will still have the firepower to do that (2018 Brooklyn pick plus a host of other young talent). To do it now is premature and to strip out some of the best assets the team has in order to become merely mediocre isn't a recipe for success.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2014, 05:16:56 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
IF....and that is a big if....NY is really willing to discuss trading Melo...AND...Melo is willing to waive his NTC for Boston, I still think it is going to take a pretty substantial offer to get the Knicks to bite this early. The fact is, NY could have considerable cap space over the next two off-seasons and are a top destination. There is still a strong chance Melo's time in NY is salvageable.

But...if they are going to move Melo, I suspect the Knicks would set the bar on a return somewhere around an offer that includes Smart, Sullinger, and multiple potential lottery picks (probably our own 2015 1st and at least one of the Brooklyn picks). This of course makes it unlikely Melo is moved until the off-season, I am just not sure there is enough value to be had from the picks by doing this move in-season. The Celtics need this year's pick to be in the lottery for it to have enough value to get a guy like Melo.
I think that KGs Knee has the proper perspective on this issue. Assuming that the salary information on Sham Sports is reasonably accurate, The Knicks should be at least $30+ million under the cap at the end of this season. They can probably make two high quality free agent signings to add to Melo. Since they didn't have a first round pick this last draft, they must have their own pick for  the next draft which should be a top ten pick. Why would they mess up this favorable situation?

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2014, 05:19:47 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
**Devil's Advocate. Not sure I agree with these arguments but I think they should be considered**

A lot of people in this thread have written off the idea of Melo in general but wouldn't the benefit to Rondo alone would be worth the contract. The amount of attention Melo would draw would open up the lanes for Rondo. Like Melo or hate him players will always keep track of him on the court, Rondo would most likely welcome taking a step out of the spotlight.

Melo was also a college Champion that fits the culture of this team. He thrived at Syracuse in a motion offense dedicated to ball movement. Carmelo Anthony is also one of Team USA's best performers as a 6th man. We have the assets to get the deal done. We have a roster that cover's many of his weaknesses. 

Carmelo Anthony also goes at Lebron...
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=anthoca01&p2=jamesle01
Back in their early career he used to torch Lebron, always felt like it showed a greater clutch gene from Melo than LBJ. We could use someone who can hang with Lebron like Pierce used to.

If we could add him and one more piece(Horford, Gasol, Aldridge, Farried?) that is instant contention. Maybe old school Phil Jackson wouldn't mind seeing the Celtics return to glory (read: stick it to The Lakers) while getting an instant rebuild with replacement talent, draft picks and cap relief.

Bonus Question
Everyone here is mentioning Jeff Green, but would you give up Marcus Smart in a deal for Melo?

« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2014, 05:22:01 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
IF....and that is a big if....NY is really willing to discuss trading Melo...AND...Melo is willing to waive his NTC for Boston, I still think it is going to take a pretty substantial offer to get the Knicks to bite this early. The fact is, NY could have considerable cap space over the next two off-seasons and are a top destination. There is still a strong chance Melo's time in NY is salvageable.

But...if they are going to move Melo, I suspect the Knicks would set the bar on a return somewhere around an offer that includes Smart, Sullinger, and multiple potential lottery picks (probably our own 2015 1st and at least one of the Brooklyn picks). This of course makes it unlikely Melo is moved until the off-season, I am just not sure there is enough value to be had from the picks by doing this move in-season. The Celtics need this year's pick to be in the lottery for it to have enough value to get a guy like Melo.
I think that KGs Knee has the proper perspective on this issue. Assuming that the salary information on Sham Sports is reasonably accurate, The Knicks should be at least $30+ million under the cap at the end of this season. They can probably make two high quality free agent signings to add to Melo. Since they didn't have a first round pick this last draft, they must have their own pick for  the next draft which should be a top ten pick. Why would they mess up this favorable situation?

Who are they signing?

Gasol leaves Memphis? Why? Don't see it. Aldridge is staying put. He said so.

Who? They had space in 2010 and look how that worked. It's not like jackson is coaching. No one goes to a new team bc of the team president.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2014, 05:23:59 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Bonus Question
Everyone here is mentioning Jeff Green, but would you give up Marcus Smart in a deal for Melo?

Yes.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2014, 05:44:49 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
I just don't see us getting much better by adding Melo. Yes he gives a #1 scoring option and a go to guy but he's defense is suspect and NY going to want our picks as they'll be in a total rebuild. We're stuck with a guy who got a massive contract and not exactly young either. C's offense isn't our problem we need a center. I much rather see us get Hibbert, thou I don't see Indiana trading him.

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2014, 06:04:07 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56

Who are they signing?

Gasol leaves Memphis? Why? Don't see it. Aldridge is staying put. He said so.

Who? They had space in 2010 and look how that worked. It's not like jackson is coaching. No one goes to a new team bc of the team president.
I just took a very quick look at the free agent list for next year and Hibbert and Rondo or Dragic would drastically increase the Knicks win total. I can't totally rule out Marco Gasol's willingness to move to a big market. Because the Knicks struck out in one particular year does not doom them to eternal irrelevancy. LA, NY, and warm weather franchises will continue to be attractive landing spots for NBA players.

« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2014, 06:36:36 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I have no desire to give up what is likely to be a lottery pick plus other prime assets for a declining 30 year old chucker who doesn't play defense. I'm laughing at some of these trades. Sully, Smart and the 2016 Brooklyn pick (lottery-likely) for 'Melo? That's far, far too much for this guy.

Anthony would make the Celtics better because he's a better player than Jeff Green, but ultimately he doesn't make the Cs a contender. With 'Melo, the Cs are probably a 4th, 5th or 6th seed team in the weak East. They might not even make the playoffs in the West. It's a trade into mediocrity and nothing more. Then when you add in his injury status, it may not be even that.

Nor do I think 'Melo will age all that well. He appears to be soft, thicker in the waist and his vertical lift is declining. His physical gifts are leaving him and he's not a guy like Pierce who can out-think his opposition because he's had to do it all his career (Pierce was always 'too slow" and yet he's one of the greats in Celtics history). Melo might have only a couple of good years left and then what? That's throwing good assets away in search of mediocrity. That's how the Celtics end up rebuilding again 3 years from now with nothing to show for it.

If we get Melo for a song then I have no problem with him being here. As I said, he makes the team better. But as structured, this team doesn't peak for 3 to 4 more years when Sully, Olynyk, Smart, Bradley and even guys like Zeller are in their primes. That's the future. That's when you trade for a stud who can come in and be that #1 piece. Danny will still have the firepower to do that (2018 Brooklyn pick plus a host of other young talent). To do it now is premature and to strip out some of the best assets the team has in order to become merely mediocre isn't a recipe for success.

This X 100. TP to you, what a brilliant post.