Author Topic: MELO to BOS trade idea  (Read 9421 times)

MELO to BOS trade idea
« on: December 12, 2014, 05:06:12 AM »

Offline zimbo

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 34
Boston sends: Top Picks, Green, Wallace, whatever else (fillers)
Boston receives:  Carmelo Anthony

Knicks sends: Melo
Knicks receive: Package above

::)

Dont like it either guys....but it is a start.

Melo is willing to waive his NTC....

Cap space expert Cs fans?

Will we have enough money to acquire a quality defensive big? After this trade?

ETA: Thanks wdleehi for the title edit. Don't want to cause emotional reactions.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 08:05:40 AM by zimbo »

Re: MELO to BOS
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 06:36:03 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
a misleading thread on celticsblog forums? impossible...

Re: MELO to BOS trade idea
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 07:19:31 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
My heart jumped a bit. In a split of a sec I though - "Instant contention, but he is injured, but he is a star, but instant contention, but what do we give up"

Then came the click and the slow page loading.

I am not sure how healthy Melo is. He has so many nagging injuries and might need a surgery this year.

For a healthy Melo, I'd certainly do it.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 07:25:01 AM by krumeto »
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

Re: MELO to BOS
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 07:55:28 AM »

Offline zimbo

• Derrick White
a misleading thread on celticsblog forums? impossible...

Im sorry bout that :)

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 07:56:51 AM »

Offline zimbo

• Derrick White
My heart jumped a bit. In a split of a sec I though - "Instant contention, but he is injured, but he is a star, but instant contention, but what do we give up"

Then came the click and the slow page loading.

I am not sure how healthy Melo is. He has so many nagging injuries and might need a surgery this year.

For a healthy Melo, I'd certainly do it.

Yeah key word is healthy here.

Stranger things have happened. So why not?  ;)

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 08:03:56 AM »

Offline zimbo

• Derrick White
Main problem is the wife. She likes Hollywood and shiny things.

Could we convice her that the clam chowder in Boston is worth the move?

Maybe the Wahlbergs could help (mainly Mark)? Land her some spots in some films.

I mean whatever we need to do. Just not be too desperate.

I mean it's just Melo, not LeBron.  8)

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 08:10:32 AM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
7am EST and the first thing I hear on the radio is the possibility of Melo being available.
He'd be the first legit star this season to hit the rumor mill since KLove.

Your trade idea was exactly my first thought. That would leave us with Thornton(exp), Olynyk, Bradley and Smart as trade bait to get a legit big and reliable true SG.

Joe Johnson? Kevin Martin?
Monroe? Hibbert?
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 08:14:03 AM »

Offline zimbo

• Derrick White
7am EST and the first thing I hear on the radio is the possibility of Melo being available.
He'd be the first legit star this season to hit the rumor mill since KLove.

Your trade idea was exactly my first thought. That would leave us with Thornton(exp), Olynyk, Bradley and Smart as trade bait to get a legit big and reliable true SG.

Joe Johnson? Kevin Martin?
Monroe? Hibbert?

I didn't think about the possibility of upgrading the SG spot.

Martin would be real good for us.

If we could land Hibbert, then that changes everything  :o .

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 08:25:34 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
IF....and that is a big if....NY is really willing to discuss trading Melo...AND...Melo is willing to waive his NTC for Boston, I still think it is going to take a pretty substantial offer to get the Knicks to bite this early. The fact is, NY could have considerable cap space over the next two off-seasons and are a top destination. There is still a strong chance Melo's time in NY is salvageable.

But...if they are going to move Melo, I suspect the Knicks would set the bar on a return somewhere around an offer that includes Smart, Sullinger, and multiple potential lottery picks (probably our own 2015 1st and at least one of the Brooklyn picks). This of course makes it unlikely Melo is moved until the off-season, I am just not sure there is enough value to be had from the picks by doing this move in-season. The Celtics need this year's pick to be in the lottery for it to have enough value to get a guy like Melo.

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 09:18:30 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Rondo and Melo are two of my least favorite players in the league, with that being said.  Are there two guys that would fit better than these two?  especially on the offensive end?  I wouldn't love it but I would be OK with it.  They would need a rim protector to do any damage in the playoffs though because neither Melo or Rondo like that end of the floor. 

on a side note, would Mike Gorman retire if the C's got Melo?? :)

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 09:24:59 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
as the season goes on, two good players that I used to want on the Celtics are now considered hot heads in my opinion

Melo and Lance Stephenson

Rondo/Stephenson and Melo looks good on paper but are they really?

With the meltdown in NY with Melo and Hardaway, who is the real cancer in the lockerroom

Lance Stephenson...boy where do I begin...Indiana days did he get along with his fellow teammates? He was a clown!

Also in that case, who is the locker room cancer? Lance or Evan Turner?

Turner seems fine so far in our lockerroom and I have not heard anything yet, but it seems the Hornets are already ready to trade Lance

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 09:32:13 AM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
Rondo and Melo are two of my least favorite players in the league, with that being said.  Are there two guys that would fit better than these two?  especially on the offensive end?  I wouldn't love it but I would be OK with it.  They would need a rim protector to do any damage in the playoffs though because neither Melo or Rondo like that end of the floor. 

on a side note, would Mike Gorman retire if the C's got Melo?? :)

You and I are of the same mind re: Melo (I like Rondo though). The two of them were made to play together.

If we could somehow also acquire Hibbert - it would be worth it. The problem is that we would have to fork over so much in salary to match Melo's $22M, that we wouldn't have anything left to trade for Hibbert with - even if we were willing to sacrifice a lot of draft picks to get them both.

There's simply no scenario where we can trade for Melo, keep Bass and Rondo, and get Hibbert.

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 09:36:07 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I'd want to keep Green if we were to get Melo. We need a second scorer, and I think Green would do really well working off of Melo. Melo would open up the driving lanes, and would get Green open out side shots.

I'd put Melo at the PF spot Run Green at the SF.

I think if NY is trading Melo, it's to get young and grab some picks. Which we have. I think we'd have to give up AB and Sully and a pick or two.

I really don't think NY would give up Melo for just Green and Wallace, it's a bit of a hose job. I'd also give up a little more to bring in Hardaway Jr. as well.

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2014, 09:53:45 AM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983
I'd also give up a little more to bring in Hardaway Jr. as well.

Isnt he one of the reasons why Melo would want to leave NYK? No way he agrees to waive his no trade clasue if hardaway is coming too ...imo

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2014, 10:04:32 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
IF....and that is a big if....NY is really willing to discuss trading Melo...AND...Melo is willing to waive his NTC for Boston, I still think it is going to take a pretty substantial offer to get the Knicks to bite this early. The fact is, NY could have considerable cap space over the next two off-seasons and are a top destination. There is still a strong chance Melo's time in NY is salvageable.

But...if they are going to move Melo, I suspect the Knicks would set the bar on a return somewhere around an offer that includes Smart, Sullinger, and multiple potential lottery picks (probably our own 2015 1st and at least one of the Brooklyn picks). This of course makes it unlikely Melo is moved until the off-season, I am just not sure there is enough value to be had from the picks by doing this move in-season. The Celtics need this year's pick to be in the lottery for it to have enough value to get a guy like Melo.

Yep. Solid points all around.
Melo might be on the block, but that doesn't mean he's available for bargain basement prices.
It will take at least one of Smart/Sully, and it will be multiple first round picks. In other words, the bidding would *begin* with an offer of Green, Sully and both Brooklyn 1st rounders.
Celtics fan for life.