Author Topic: win-now trade idea  (Read 3858 times)

win-now trade idea
« on: December 11, 2014, 06:55:34 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Here is an idea to get Melo on the cheap by routing Lance to NYK in a three team deal. 

Knicks receive:  Lance, MKG, Bass, Bos 2015 1st
This deal gets them two quality young players, Bass' expiring, and a 2015 lotto pick.  Not a bad return if they decide to move on from the Melo era, rebuild on the fly.

Charlotte receives:  Olynyk, AB, Wallace, LAC 2015 1st
Not dealing from a position of strength, this deal however might stand out to Cho as it returns a 7' prospect & a 1st for a couple guards.  Any misgivings about parting with MKG should be mitigated by bringing back AB. 

Celts receive Melo. 
If you can put Melo alongside Rondo & Smart, it has to be done.  I like this move because while we'd part with both 2015 picks, we'd keep all the BKL picks to restock the cupboards down the road around two max deals.  Parting with Olynyk shouldn't be a problem, especially if we end up with this starting 5:  Rondo/Smart/Green/Melo/Sully 

who says no?

Re: win-now trade idea
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 07:00:00 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
If you can put Melo alongside Rondo & Smart, it has to be done.

Why? Seems a poor fit to me. Neither Rondo nor Smart are ideal off-ball guards to place next to a high usage player like Carmelo.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 07:07:24 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

Why? Seems a poor fit to me. Neither Rondo nor Smart are ideal off-ball guards to place next to a high usage player like Carmelo.

I think Rondo would be great for Melo, get him tons of easy looks. 
Starting Smart alongside gives them another scoring threat and a ball-hawk defender to keep Rondo off the ball on D. 

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 08:09:11 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Hornets get hosed. 

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 08:23:23 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
I think they both say no, but it's an interesting "format" and Danny can offer more than what you have listed with all our assets.  e.g. You could use Green rather than Wallace and keep piling on draft picks.  NY obviously thinks of Melo as their cornerstone, so I wonder what their threshold would be.

Charlotte seems to care about defense, so surrendering MKG and adding Olynyk probably doesn't sound great to them.

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 09:13:11 PM »

Offline P stoff

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
The idea is not that bad..but the idea that Rondo is going to "set up" Melo is one that deserves some thought. Melo does not need Rondo to set him up...he is a one on one scorer that can set himself up. I don't think he even likes to catch and shoot...he likes to break down a guy and pull up in his face. As was said above, having Rondo off the ball is not ideal... but if we were to push pace, green and Melo could have some openings early to attack the hoop.

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 01:34:38 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
The idea is not that bad..but the idea that Rondo is going to "set up" Melo is one that deserves some thought. Melo does not need Rondo to set him up...he is a one on one scorer that can set himself up. I don't think he even likes to catch and shoot...he likes to break down a guy and pull up in his face. As was said above, having Rondo off the ball is not ideal... but if we were to push pace, green and Melo could have some openings early to attack the hoop.
I think you're right about Melo's style.  He's the opposite of Ray Allen.  It's probably his biggest strength -- he requires no setup.  Just give him the ball and watch it go through the net.  We could've used that in a few fourth quarters this year.

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 01:54:46 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Clearly you two don't watch Olympic basketball.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 01:56:41 PM »

Offline puskas54_10

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 13
Can we stop with trade ideas, that include Gerald Wallace? Nobody wants him with that contract!

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 02:00:12 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Agreed. Rondo and Anthony are not a sensible fit at all, not to mention entirely unlikely to play together in Celtics green (much more likely in a Knicks uniform).

These constant Melo trade ideas are getting old. Instead, send Rondo to New York with Wallace for Amare, Hardaway, Wear and the right to swap the 2015 Knicks 1st for the Clips 1st. Just get it over with already....
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 02:04:43 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Ummmm..... Melo is a great catch and shoot type of guy..

Carmelo Anthony is 8th in the entire NBA this season in catch and shoot points per game (6.8 ppg) and in the top 75 in catch and shoot field goal percentage and just barely outside the top 50 in catch and shoot three-point percentage.  What does that tell us?  Carmelo Anthony can really be effective in catch and shoot situations.  Not only can he create, but when D-Rose or Joakim Noah have the ball and are orchestrating the offense, they will have the option to kick it out to Carmelo and it will be effective.  Could make for a very dangerous offense.

Next, I looked at shooting efficiency.  Carmelo’s effective field goal percentage was ranked 226th in the NBA this season. (Effective field goal percentage assumes that three-pointers are 1.5 times more valuable than two-point shots.)  Carmelo’s effective field goal percentage was 50.3%.  In comparison, Durant was at 56% (top 100 in the league) and Lebron was at 61% (22nd in the league).

http://stats.nba.com/tracking/#!/player/catchshoot/

Carmelo was ranked 6th 4 weeks ago, and has always been money from 3pt catch and shoot situations.

A new system is going to be tough to adjust.

Quote above is from a respected user who did analytical studies on how well or badly Melo would fit in the Bulls system.

Five months after swearing his allegiance to New York and signing a five-year, $124 million contract, sources told The Post the All-Star forward would be open to dropping his no-trade clause if team president Phil Jackson strikes a deal with a team Anthony would like to play for. ...

For now, Anthony has no desire to be traded, but his willingness to consider giving up the no-trade clause shows how frustrated he has become with the Knicks’ historically bad start to the season

A team of Rondo/ AB or Smart/Melo and a rim protector like Hibbert is a contender in my eyes.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 02:06:42 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Clearly you two don't watch Olympic basketball.

^

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 02:08:22 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
that team is good offensively but will struggle defensively. There is no rim protector again. Contending team with good centers/pf and a balanced team can easily destroy us. If Melo comes, you have to trade Green and other pieces to net you a starting/rim protector center

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2014, 02:09:12 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
that team is good offensively but will struggle defensively. There is no rim protector again. Contending team with good centers/pf and a balanced team can easily destroy us. If Melo comes, you have to trade Green and other pieces to net you a starting/rim protector center

Hibbert comes to mind.

Agreed. Rondo and Anthony are not a sensible fit at all, not to mention entirely unlikely to play together in Celtics green (much more likely in a Knicks uniform).

These constant Melo trade ideas are getting old. Instead, send Rondo to New York with Wallace for Amare, Hardaway, Wear and the right to swap the 2015 Knicks 1st for the Clips 1st. Just get it over with already....

No one thought KG would come to BOS either..
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2014, 02:40:46 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932

I, for one, think Rondo and Anthony would be a pretty good fit together, but if we could get the trade you suggested in January (to not allow them to pile on too many more wins) I pull the trigger every time. I think they want something more like Rondo and Green for Amare, Hardaway, right to swap 2015 Knicks 1st with Clips 1st, and unprotected 2019 1st. That'd give them Rondo, Shumpert, Green, Melo, and Dalembert as a pretty dang good starting five, and they'd be able to dangle Calderon as a trade chip for other players.