Author Topic: [IDEA] Rondo for Luol Deng?  (Read 4500 times)

[IDEA] Rondo for Luol Deng?
« on: December 09, 2014, 09:08:18 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
It is I!

Jaketwice, forum poster since 2007, back with another GRRRREEAT trade idea! Don't get me wrong, I love Rondo - but the national media has said we need to trade him. :'( So here's my idea:

Rajon Rondo for Luol "the true professional" Deng. Ideally, the trade would work like this (can't make it happen on trade machine due to free agent issue).

Rondo - > Miami Heat
Deng - > Celtics
Norris Cole - > Milwaukee Buck
John Henson - > Celtics

I think it makes sense for all involved. I DEFY you to disagree!

Re: [IDEA] Rondo for Luol Deng?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 09:09:19 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
o hellllllllllllllllllllll no

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 09:14:40 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Would rather see if we can send Deng to a team like Houston for the Pels' pick or something like that. Pels pick and Henson would be a sweet return for Rondo. Nice idea.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 09:17:51 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
o hellllllllllllllllllllll no

Great commentary!!!! Sounds so smart!

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 09:18:25 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
How does this suggestion make us better?

We're trading our starting point guard for a second small forward, which doesn't seem to help our roster balance any.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 09:25:02 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
It is I!

Jaketwice, forum poster since 2007, back with another GRRRREEAT trade idea! Don't get me wrong, I love Rondo - but the national media has said we need to trade him. :'( So here's my idea:

Rajon Rondo for Luol "the true professional" Deng. Ideally, the trade would work like this (can't make it happen on trade machine due to free agent issue).

Rondo - > Miami Heat
Deng - > Celtics
John Henson - > Celtics

??? ??? ??? ???
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 09:26:14 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Deng isn't the player he once was. Thibs put too many miles on those legs. So while he's a class act, he's a 29 year old player, who has the explosiveness of a much older player, has trouble creating his own shot, and can't hit the 3.

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 09:26:28 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
It is I!

Rondo - > Miami Heat
Deng - > Celtics
John Henson - > Celtics

umm I disagree...(holds hand up)

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 09:33:15 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton

We're trading our starting point guard for a second small forward, which doesn't seem to help our roster balance any.

So when I come up with a trade idea, I always think: what would get us closest to title contention fastest. The recipe for title contention seems to be: three great players, and at least two of the following: (a) great defense; (b) an amazing rookie; (c) a terrific bench.

Rondo is not a part of that calculus, for us - because he will depart in free agency anyway. We have too many players, and will soon have to consolidate: many so-so players and draft picks for one much better player. Deng and Henson help us with (c) insofar as they provide a better bench.

We can't field a team with Olynyk, Sullinger, Zeller, Smart, Bradley, Green and Young and really do anything. Of those, only Smart and Young really have potential to be great players. And they won't do that unless they are surrounded by some smart veterans. It's no accident that players without role models early in their careers don't end up being successful players: Pervis Ellison never really played with anyone good; Derrick Coleman learned at the heels of Mookie Blaylock, and the "technician" Jed Bueschler.

None of our guys will develop without leadership (which Walter McCarty is not going to provide). And Jeff Green is not going to develop. He is the player he is: wildly inconsistent.

Deng is more than just an "asset" he's a guy who knows how to play. And - he's a guy other guys want to play with. If you want to Joakim Noah - you've got a way better shot with Deng on the team. A long range plan requires guidance for the youngsters.

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 09:38:34 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Deng isn't the player he once was. Thibs put too many miles on those legs. So while he's a class act, he's a 29 year old player, who has the explosiveness of a much older player, has trouble creating his own shot, and can't hit the 3.

I agree that Deng has a lot of wear on his legs, but I disagree with the popular conception that he's lost a step.  He's putting up the highest eFG% of his career this year.

That doesn't mean I think he makes sense for the Celtics, or that he's in Rondo's class.  He's still a very good player, though.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 09:42:51 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

So when I come up with a trade idea, I always think: what would get us closest to title contention fastest. The recipe for title contention seems to be: three great players, and at least two of the following: (a) great defense; (b) an amazing rookie; (c) a terrific bench.

1.Rondo is not a part of that calculus, for us - because he will depart in free agency anyway. We have too many players, and will soon have to consolidate: many so-so players and draft picks for one much better player. 2. Deng and Henson help us with (c) insofar as they provide a better bench.

We can't field a team with Olynyk, Sullinger, Zeller, Smart, Bradley, Green and Young and really do anything. Of those, only Smart and Young really have potential to be great players. 3. And they won't do that unless they are surrounded by some smart veterans. It's no accident that players without role models early in their careers don't end up being successful players: Pervis Ellison never really played with anyone good; Derrick Coleman learned at the heels of Mookie Blaylock, and the "technician" Jed Bueschler.

None of our guys will develop without leadership (which Walter McCarty is not going to provide). And Jeff Green is not going to develop. He is the player he is: wildly inconsistent.

Deng is more than just an "asset" he's a guy who knows how to play. And - he's a guy other guys want to play with. 4. If you want to Joakim Noah - you've got a way better shot with Deng on the team. A long range plan requires guidance for the youngsters.

1. Debatable.

2. So.... trade our best player for Deng who has 29,000 flight mileage under Thibs system... Hes already showing his wear and tear.

3. Rondo isn't a smart veteran?... What?

4. Noah is less likely to come to BOS if Rondo left... Even Noah knows Deng isn't the same anymore after his injuries, plus... Where is even the notion Noah would even come here, explicitly come out of thin air? IF we brought in Al Horford, one of Noah's close friends, Rondo/Horford may be appealing enough for Noah.

I agree that Deng has a lot of wear on his legs, but I disagree with the popular conception that he's lost a step.  He's putting up the highest eFG% of his career this year.

That doesn't mean I think he makes sense for the Celtics, or that he's in Rondo's class.  He's still a very good player, though.

Don't know, you ever watch any Heat games? Deng definitely looks a lot slower.

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 09:47:17 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton

1.Rondo is not a part of that calculus, for us - because he will depart in free agency anyway. We have too many players, and will soon have to consolidate: many so-so players and draft picks for one much better player. 2. Deng and Henson help us with (c) insofar as they provide a better bench.

We can't field a team with Olynyk, Sullinger, Zeller, Smart, Bradley, Green and Young and really do anything. Of those, only Smart and Young really have potential to be great players. 3. And they won't do that unless they are surrounded by some smart veterans. It's no accident that players without role models early in their careers don't end up being successful players: Pervis Ellison never really played with anyone good; Derrick Coleman learned at the heels of Mookie Blaylock, and the "technician" Jed Bueschler.

Deng is more than just an "asset" he's a guy who knows how to play. And - he's a guy other guys want to play with. 4. If you want to Joakim Noah - you've got a way better shot with Deng on the team. A long range plan requires guidance for the youngsters.

1. Debatable.

I don't disagree with anything else you wrote. BUT, assuming he is leaving - we don't want to lose him for nothing - agree or disagree? Miami is a destination that makes a lot of sense for him: they are closer to contention than we are. They are not all horrible free throw shooters (and he is the worst ft shooter in the league).

Without Deng, can't Miami pay him the max deal he wants? It's a great situation for him personally. ...maybe Miami throws in a draft pick. But aren't there good odds he goes there anyway? What's a more logical destination for him (assuming he becomes a free agent and can play wherever he wants)?

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 09:51:08 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

1. Debatable.

I don't disagree with anything else you wrote. BUT, assuming he is leaving - we don't want to lose him for nothing - agree or disagree? Miami is a destination that makes a lot of sense for him: they are closer to contention than we are. They are not all horrible free throw shooters (and he is the worst ft shooter in the league).

Without Deng, can't Miami pay him the max deal he wants? It's a great situation for him personally. ...maybe Miami throws in a draft pick. But aren't there good odds he goes there anyway? What's a more logical destination for him (assuming he becomes a free agent and can play wherever he wants)?

I bet 10 TPS Heat is the last place hes going... Give summer FA 2015 for Ainge to make moves.

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 09:53:28 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
But aren't there good odds he goes there anyway? What's a more logical destination for him (assuming he becomes a free agent and can play wherever he wants)?

NYK and LAL.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 09:56:02 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton

Don't know, you ever watch any Heat games? Deng definitely looks a lot slower.

Well, you're both kind of right. He is playing the fewest minutes since his rookie year, getting the least amount of rebounds, and assisting fewer shots. However, he is shooting the second highest FG% of his career from the floor, and the second best from three. A year ago he was averaging 19 points, and almost 7 rebounds and 4 assists per night (playing for the 13/14 Bulls).

I don't think he has "lost a step" to that degree in just a year.