Author Topic: Celtics (7-11) at Wizards (13-6) Game #19 12/8/14  (Read 56976 times)

Celtics (7-11) at Wizards (13-6) Game #19 12/8/14
« on: December 07, 2014, 10:37:01 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11832
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Boston Celtics (7-11) at Wizards (13-6))
Regular Season Game #19, Road Game #7
Monday, December 8, 2014
7:00 PM ET
TV: CSN-NE, Comcast Sportsnet, NBA-LP 751(DTV)/752,753(Xfinity)
Radio: 98.5 Sports Hub, WNEW 99.1 FM
Verizon Center

Probable Starters

PG: Rajon Rondo
SG: Avery Bradley
SF: Jeff Green
PF: Jared Sullinger
C: Tyler Zeller

Celtics Reserves

Phil Pressey
Evan Turner
Marcus Thornton
Brandon Bass
Dwight Powell
Kelly Olynyk
James Young
Gerald Wallace
Marcus Smart

Injuries

Vitor Faverani (knee) out

Probable Starters

PG: John Wall
SG: Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce
PF:  Kris Humphries
C: Marcin Gortat

Wizards Reserves
Rasual Butler
Otto Porter
Nene Hilario
Kevin Seraphin
Andre Miller
DeJuan Blair
Garrett Temple
Drew Gooden
Glen Rice Jr

Injuries
Martell Webster (back) out

Game Notes
The Celtics and Wizards meet for the second time in as many days.  In the first game,  the Celtics controlled the game from start to finish.  The did have their customary 25 point blown lead to allow the Wizards to get to within 1 point in the 4th quarter, but they were able to hang on for a 101-93 win.

Both teams are playing in back to back games and both teams had to travel over night after their last game.  The Wizards have the advantage of being at home where they have been playing very will with a 9-2 record at the Verizon Center.   As with most young teams, the Celtics have struggled to a 2-4 record on the road. 

The Celtics have won 3 in a row for the first time this season and would love to get the 4th straight win.  The Wizards, who are legitimate contenders definitely don't want to lose to the Celtics again and will do their best to get this one. 

Key Matchups 
vs
Rajon Rondo vs John Wall
Wall had a solid game in their first meeting putting up 17 points, 8 rebounds, 14 assists, and 3 steals.  He did however also have 6 turnovers and more importantly, he played 41 minutes, including the whole second half.  Fatigue may become a problem for Wall by the end of the game.   

vs
Jeff Green vs Paul Pierce
Pierce played 30 minutes in the loss on Sunday finishing with 16 points, 3 rebounds and 1 assist.  He missed a wide open 3 that could have changed the momentum in the game and I'm sure that he will do his best to make up for that and bring his team a win in this one.  Green once again will be called on to slow Pierce while also having another big game on the offensive end. 

Honorable Mention
Jared Sullinger vs Kris Humphries
These former teammates both played well in the first meeting with Kris Humphries coming out slightly on top with 8 points, 14 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 block and 1 steal to 10 points, 10 rebounds and 2 assists for Sully.   Both players will be going at each other to try to get the upper hand in this one.

Keys to the Game
Defense - The Celtics need to especially defend the 3 point line, an area that they have struggled this season. Washington is 4th in the league in 3 point percentage at 37.7%.  It was 3 pointers, especially from Rasual Butler who was 6-10 from beyond the arc, that allowed the Wizards to come back from the 25 point deficit.   The Celtics must play tough team defense if they hope to get past this team again. 

Pace and Space - The Celtics play their best when they move the ball and find the open man. They play their worst when they over dribble and each player tries to do too much. They need to keep the ball moving, including getting up the floor quickly before the defense gets set.  With both teams playing in back to back games, conditioning may come into play and the team that can continue to run throughout the game will have the advantage. 

Rebound -  The Celtics were out-rebounded 52-49 in the first game and they must crash the boards and put out extra effort to grab rebounds to keep the Wizards from getting second chance baskets and fast breaks.  The Celtics need to rebound to give themselves extra possessions and their own fast break opportunities. 

Be Aggressive
- The Celtics were the more aggressive team for most of the game in their first meeting.  They backed off a bit in the 4th quarter, allowing the Wizards to make a run.  The Celtics must be the more aggressive team in going to the basket, in diving for loose balls, in grabbing rebounds and just in playing harder for 48 minutes. They have to be the team that wants it more and plays harder. 

X-Factors
Conditioning and On the Road

Playing in back to back games, conditioning will come into play.    The team that still has more left in the tank at the end of this game will get the win.  The Wizards have been undefeated in the second of back to back games this season so it will be a challenge for the Celtics to outlast them.    The Celtics are a young team and young teams tend to struggle on the road.  Hopefully they can summon the focus to pull this one out. 

Re: Celtics (7-11) at Wizards (13-6) Game #19 12/8/14
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 10:38:34 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Didn't managed to watch the game tonight. Hopefully I can watch it tomorrow and C's grab another win.

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 10:52:02 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11832
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP mr. dee for being the first to post in the game thread!   Go Celtics! 

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 03:48:57 PM »

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 279
Would be dope to get another W tonight.

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 04:29:42 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
When did Nene got benched?

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 05:37:45 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

Don't quote me because I don't follow the Wiz but I think Nene was injured, Hump started and played well in his absence, I guess they wanted to keep it flowing. I would do it until it stops working.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 05:57:21 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Would be dope to get another W tonight.

Yup

Major drugs

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 06:05:59 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
I'll be surprised if we don't get blown out tonight.  Wiz will have a huge chip on their shoulders after the dud they played yesterday.  This one will NOT be easy.

Go C's!

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 06:09:52 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155

Don't quote me because I don't follow the Wiz but I think Nene was injured, Hump started and played well in his absence, I guess they wanted to keep it flowing. I would do it until it stops working.

yup
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 06:12:59 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
The Celtics had a very difficult time defending when the Wizards spread out and ran the pick and roll. I imagine that is how the Wizards approach this game tonight.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 06:38:14 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
The Celtics had a very difficult time defending when the Wizards spread out and ran the pick and roll. I imagine that is how the Wizards approach this game tonight.
Chances are they learned from their mistakes and we ll be roasted. Only hope their reputation of not playing much better at home

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 06:39:45 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith

It's gonna be really brutal night watching Celtics basketball I'm afraid.

Née née and Gortat is too much to throw on Zellar and KO .   Wizz are stacked with talent ..top to bottom ..... Give us an elite scorer and Center and yeah .....we can do some major damage.

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2014, 06:48:49 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

Née née and Gortat is too much to throw on Zellar and KO .   Wizz are stacked with talent ..top to bottom ..... Give us an elite scorer and Center and yeah .....we can do some major damage.
Sthg tells me your avatar would make a great Center. Provided he defends the rim with a kalashnikov.

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, 06:51:00 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Chances are they learned from their mistakes and we ll be roasted. Only hope their reputation of not playing much better at home

Yeah, we're not winning this game.  It's our 3rd in 4 nights and on the 2nd half of a back to back on the road, no less, lol, and, as everyone has already pointed out, Washington will be out for blood.  A contender should not be beaten by a team like ours twice in a row, not to mention that we were up by, what, 25 points at one point?  That interview between Gorman and Pierce was pretty funny, especially when Mike mentioned how Paul has become the old guy policing the locker room, telling all of these guys to get off of instagram and twitter for 2 hours. 

Poor Pierce.  Ugh.  Seriously, guys?  You're getting paid how much to play a game for kids for 1-2 hours 2-3 times a week, and you can't pry yourself away from social media for even a day?  I wonder if Pierce says, "Look, guys, you can look at Jen Selter's bodacious badonkadonk (sarcasm) ;D AFTER THE GAME - now let's go," lol ::).  What is the matter with kids these days, haha? 

« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 07:30:49 PM by Beat LA »

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2014, 06:54:20 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith

Sthg tells me your avatar would make a great Center. Provided he defends the rim with a kalashnikov.

I'd settle for Marc Gasol or Drummond ....to stand in the paint for the C's.

I'm say n a prayer for Zellar , he doesn't get knocked out tonight...or hurt.....he is really going to earn his rent tonight ....geeze....I think the Wizz are going to be very physical and just play hard from tip .....no holding back.