Author Topic: Portland is rumored to have interest in Wallace. here is my idea  (Read 4666 times)

Re: Portland is rumored to have interest in Wallace. here is my idea
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2014, 06:32:02 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Well, they are the team that gave him that massive deal in the first place, I guess.

The Nets traded the draft pick that became Damian Lillard for Wallace then re-signed him to his current deal.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2014, 06:34:55 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I'll drive him to the airport myself, lol ;D.  However, any trade involving our franchise player (sarcasm) must see us receive CJ McCollum in return.  I know that he doesn't fit here, but he's a sick player, imo, ever since I saw him light up Duke in the NCAA Tournament.  And we would have gotten away with it (trading Wallace for CJ), too, if it hadn't been for those meddling kids...;D

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2014, 06:36:51 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Well, they are the team that gave him that massive deal in the first place, I guess.

The Nets traded the draft pick that became Damian Lillard for Wallace then re-signed him to his current deal.

Ahaha ;D, I forgot about that.  TP for the laugh.  I believe such a turn of events can only be described as -

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2014, 08:07:45 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I'd do this trade sending the Cleveland pick to Orlando:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=lqelh5u

to Boston: Thomas Robinson, Dorell Wright
to Portland: Gerald Wallace, Phil Pressey, Dewayne Dedmon
to Orlando: Joel Freeland, Cleveland's pick

why for Orlando: third string C for third string C, getting a late first rounder is worth it

why for Portland: if they really want Wallace, they get a third string PG and a bigger third string C in Dedmon, who is a better insurance for Kaman than Freeland

why for Boston: save money now, get Wallace off the books and get a reclamation project in Robinson. Dorell Wright is another expiring.

Still an unbalanced roster, but a lot of options next February, with Bass+Thornton+Wright adding up to 18M in expirings:

Rondo/Turner/Smart
Bradley/Thornton/Young
Green/Wright/Powell
Sully/Bass/Robinson
Zeller/Olynyk/Faverani

Send Robinson and Powell down to the DLeague and play the season out until the trade deadline.

No reason to get Orlando involved.  Wright and Robinson match up with Wallace's salary since Portland would be under luxury tax.

I'd happily do Wright and Robinson for Wallace, Powell, and a couple of second round picks.  This would essentially mean we sent something similar to what we got for Bogans' contract to dump Wallace's contract for next year, which would be huge.  Also, if we used the Joel Anthony trade exception on Thomas Robinson's contract, this would leave the Celtics with a $7 million trade exception from this deal.

While I think whomever said that this is a writer making up a story is correct, I'm going to use the following logic to dream.  Portland is in complete win-now mode, since failure to do otherwise sets their franchise back a decade if Aldridgre leaves.  Robinson and Wright are expensive expirings at the end of their bench -- if Portland believes Wallace would be an upgrade, it's not completely crazy from their side.  Also, if they intend to keep Matthews next year in addition to Aldridge, they will have little to no cap room anyway, so Wallace does not hurt their cap space situation.  In fact, having a $10 million expiring salary gives them something to match with if they try to add a big piece via a sign-and-trade, and extra draft picks and a young player like Powell don't hurt in that endeavor either.

Odds of something like this happening are small, but Portland is possibly the only team where Wallace could be seen as a short-term upgrade and not a long-term albatross, so it's not completely ridiculous - just largely improbable.

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2014, 08:13:40 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Correct, but he was already set to make at least ~12 million a year with PDX -- that was the deal he opted out of in order to take advantage of the new CBA.

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2012/01/gerald_wallace_will_not_seek_contract_extension_th.html
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.