Author Topic: Interesting trade idea I saw online: Hibbert/Monroe  (Read 2510 times)

Interesting trade idea I saw online: Hibbert/Monroe
« on: December 06, 2014, 12:39:41 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
I saw this trade idea online, and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Bos in: Hibbert, Monroe
Bos out: Wallace, Smart, Turner, Sullinger, 2016 Brooklyn 1st

Det in: Turner, Sullinger
Det out: Monroe

Indy in: Wallace, Smart, 2016 Brooklyn 1st
Indy out: Hibbert

I think it's pretty fair all the way around, though I think at this point Sully is just as good as Monroe. Plus he has three point range. What bout Wallace, Smart, and a pick for Hibbert?  If we'd end up keeping Rondo and Hibbert, I think I'd do it.

Re: Interesting trade idea I saw online: Hibbert/Monroe
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 12:44:39 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
The way I see this...not fair for Indy.

Why would they give up the best rim protector in the NBA and also take on Wallace's horrible contract...in return for a Rookie who's yet to prove anything and a first round pick.  I think they laugh at this deal. 

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 12:49:37 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I think it's a pretty fair trade, but I would worry that Hibbert and Monroe can't really stretch the defense past 15ft jumpers.

Sully is now a 36% 3pt shooter this year. That's a big weapon and pulls big men out of the paint for Rondo to drive.

I definitely want Hibbert, but not so much Monroe who is better at both ends when he is playing center, but isn't the rim protector we need like Hibbert is .

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 01:03:05 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
I think it's a pretty fair trade, but I would worry that Hibbert and Monroe can't really stretch the defense past 15ft jumpers.

Sully is now a 36% 3pt shooter this year. That's a big weapon and pulls big men out of the paint for Rondo to drive.

I definitely want Hibbert, but not so much Monroe who is better at both ends when he is playing center, but isn't the rim protector we need like Hibbert is .

That's pretty much how I feel, too. I don't think it's a stretch to say that Sully is better than Monroe now.

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 01:44:36 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Sully has a 20.6 PER and Monroe has a 17.8 PER.  Sully has almost a 3 point higher PER this year!!

And Sully's PER will go up a little after tonight's Laker game. 

Smitty77

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 02:16:41 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Yes on Hibbert, maybe on Monroe (an agreement would have to be in place). Indy would probably need Bradley instead of Wallace and I would be okay with that.

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 06:36:30 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Doesn't seem to be a problem in Memphis...don't see Gasol and Randolf chucking up many threes.

I honestly think the "big men who can shoot threes" thing is a little overrated.  Not saying it's not a plus because certainly it is, but people talk about it as if it's an absolute necessity to be successful, which it certainly is not.  As long as your bigs can hit 15 foot jumpers with some consistency I think that's fine.

Honestly though, I think the tandem of Sully and Monroe appeals more to me than Monroe and Hibbert.  I think this team needs a clear identity.  Doc was definitely a more defensive oriented coach and so our identity while he was here was purely defensive.  BS though seems far more of an offensive coach and, so I think we might actually be more successful with a team who can put a lot of points on the board, rather than a team that's a jack of all trades.

With Sully's ability  to hit the outside shot, I think Monroe's low post game would be an amazing compliment.  I think a lot of teams would have a LOT of trouble stopping that due from scoring, because teams can't leave Sully on the perimeter to double Monroe (and vice versa). 

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 07:59:24 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
The pistons probably shouldn't have gotten josh smith. That's the problem.

Thought Monroe's defense as a 4 seems like a problem too.

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 08:01:00 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Interesting, I'd like Monroe as our starting center but I'm not sure as others have posted that Hibbert and Monroe can play together. It sure hasn't worked in Detroit.

Unlike others on here I'm not obsessed with a rim protector, I'm looking for a good 2 way player at center. With the back court we currently have they HAVE to get scoring out of the 5 spot.

Hibbert is not that player.

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 08:50:21 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I like the trade from a pure value, basketball standpoint as I think we end up with a pretty good team.  The problem is that Monroe and Hibbert are in the last year of their contracts (Hibbert has player option),  Combine that with Rondo and potentially Green (player option) and we could easily end up with nothing at the end of the year.  No team and we have lost two valuable young players and a valuable draft pick.  At best, it seems very unlikely that we would be able to sign all 4.

Another example of why trades are so hard in the NBA.

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2014, 11:03:03 AM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
i think smart has a higher ceiling at this point.  rather give up rondo in that scenario.  not sure it makes much sense though.

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2014, 05:44:21 PM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Even if Monroe got on his knees and promised you he would resign, you wouldn't have the cap space to resign him. You won't get his Bird rights and won't be able to go over the cap to retain him. You would have to renounce either Rondo or Green, so you might as well include one of them in your deals.

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2014, 05:49:34 PM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
I saw this trade idea online, and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Bos in: Hibbert, Monroe
Bos out: Wallace, Smart, Turner, Sullinger, 2016 Brooklyn 1st

Det in: Turner, Sullinger
Det out: Monroe

Indy in: Wallace, Smart, 2016 Brooklyn 1st
Indy out: Hibbert

I think it's pretty fair all the way around, though I think at this point Sully is just as good as Monroe. Plus he has three point range. What bout Wallace, Smart, and a pick for Hibbert?  If we'd end up keeping Rondo and Hibbert, I think I'd do it.

If I'm an NBA GM, the price for just taking Wallace's contract is two firsts. So, at minimum, if Wallace is in the deal I would ask for Smart, the C's 2015 1st, and the higher of the C's and Brooklyn's 2016 pick unprotected or Smart, both 2015 picks and the lower of the C's/BRK 2016 picks. Of course, if I'm now Danny Ainge, I'm not willing to go that high.

I am of the opinion that if you want to include Wallace in any deal this year, you will need to dramatically overpay to compensate for his presence. Next year when it's expiring, you might be able to use him as filler but not now.