Author Topic: Jakob Poeltl  (Read 1983 times)

Jakob Poeltl
« on: December 04, 2014, 09:18:46 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I mentioned him in the "to early to talk about the draft but.." thread but thought it deserved its own topic.

Jakob Poeltl, the freshman big for Utah. Chad Ford mentioned him as a sleeper in his weekly chat. I stayed up to late to watch a little of him and was impressed. Granted Witchita lacks size inside but the kid was impressive. He is said to be a true 7' with 7'3" wingspan and 36" vertical. Not sure I believe the vertical but he is an athlete and runs the floor well for his size. I would comp him physically to a  longer T Zeller. He is certainly on DA radar as they play BYU on the 10th. I will be interested to see him vs Kansas on 13th and UNLV the 20th. If he declares he could be an option outside of the lottery.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3134908/jakob-poeltl

http://www.europeanprospects.com/getting-to-know-jakob-poeltl/

video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZIiqrWJAuQ&feature=youtu.be

To my surprise draft express doesn't have any write up on him, truly a sleeper.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Jakob Poeltl
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 01:58:08 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Looks to be a good prospect. Good physical tools. Good size and fairly mobile. High reach off standing jump as help defender. Looked lost on defense on a large number of those sequences but has the tools to improve over time. Should be a good defensive presence down the road if he puts the work in.

Reminded me a bit of Robin Lopez. Not quite as long but otherwise similar.

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 02:36:14 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
for what it is worth, draft express has him going at #10 in 2016. if he comes out this year perhaps the celtics could pick him up with one of their later picks.

on defense he seemed credible. on offense he look like a stiff. so far he averages 3 blocks a game.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 02:43:01 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
He looks like both a prospect and a project. He needs a little more weight and upper body strength, but at least he's not a toothpick. His hand-eye coordination looks weak as he has a hard time shooting foul shots and just catching passes. That 36" vertical leap looks suspicious to me too but at least he can jump. He looks active, mobile, and is definitely a defensive presence. I would guess that right now he is a second round pick at best but you could easily see him move up to the late first round if he improves on the court. If he develops, I could see him as a Steven Adams type pro.