Author Topic: Monroe is impressive. Trade proposal  (Read 18658 times)

Re: Monroe is impressive. Trade proposal
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2014, 12:43:10 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
you could have him for Bass+Thornton and the Clippers pick.

And he's not that impressive, it's just our big men can't defend bigs with good foot work like him yet.

He's a 6'11" 250 lb 24 year old who has 3 years experience already.

He averages almost 10 rebounds and 2 assists in his career. And he can score against anybody. Monroe/Sully/KO/Zeller is a very young, formidable front court. And it takes longer for bigs to get their game together.

I think he's a solid big man, but he's not a top 3 player on a contender. That being said, he could take his game to the next level- and it would probably be most likely to happen with a pass first point guard getting him another 7-8 points a game getting him easy lobs and dishes.

If he was as good as some are claiming, he wouldn't have stayed on the restricted free agent list and gone back to Detroit for 5 million a year.

Was he even offered a multi year deal by any teams other than Detroit? Because the only offer he got was a lowball from Detroit if I remember.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2014, 12:44:04 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
monroe is very talented offensively, reminds me of brook lopez. sadly, his defense also reminds me of lopez, he's passive and doesn't have great instincts.
his rebounding is overrated, too, 16.6% total rebounding rate, not great, not bad.
monroe wouldn't help this team much unless we also get an elite defensive center to cover for him. i also don't know if he's good enough that we really want to build around him.
on the other hand, he's also currently playing on an horribly-constructed team that has no perimeter talent at all... he might actually be better than he seems... or worse?

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2014, 12:49:09 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
His one on one skills are hard to stop. Three pt plays after three pt plays. Kind of reminds me of big AL how he can score/fake/up and unders on you downlow. Good rebounder and overall a good player. He plays better as a Center. Pistons are in big trouble and should consider moving Monroe who has already indicated that he is not interested in signing a long term contract with them

To Pistons: Sullinger, Rondo, Thornton
To Celtics: Monroe, 1st round pick, and option to trade for higher 1st in the future, Jennings, Fillers (waive)

Trade Jennings for a 1st round pick and fillers (waive)

Monroe agrees to a 4 year/13.5 million a year deal

Celtics lineup after trade

Monroe/Zeller
KO/Bass/Powell
Green/Young/Wallace
AB/Smart/Young
Turner/Pressey

Pistons lineup after trade

Drummond
Sullinger
Smith
KCP
Rondo

works out for both team

Why give up anything when we don't gain his bird rights and can just sign him outright in the off-season?

I doubt he will come here in the offseason when he will have better teams chasing to sign him. But we can gain a step by getting him now and have him gel with the team.  He is also good friends with Jeff Green.   Jeff Green will then also want to stay.  I'm the fence on trading Green these days. I mean what other better SFs in the league could we get

If he wouldn't come here in the off-season when better teams are chasing him, why would he re-sign with a celtics team that just traded Rondo for him ? That would leave us with less talent, how would that be more attractive to him ?

Don't you think he would want to player with a PG that can get him the ball down low and easy looks instead of Evan Turner and Bradley as his starting back court?

Rondo or not Monroe will get plenty of touches. We have guys that can pass really well. 

You don't need to be a magician of a passer to pass the ball downlow for Monroe to do his work.

Monroe would rather come to the Celts bc of Green anyways

Ok but still, you said yourself it's doubtful he'll come here in the offseason.  I know you dont like Rondo, but youre just gonna throw away Sullinger??

i was impressed with him too tonight, but the defense we played on him was atrocious.

The Pistons won't trade Monroe for Rondo.  They need another player back in case Rondo bolts.  Hate to see Sully go, but if Monroe agrees to sign right after he gets traded, then its a good deal for both clubs.  We get to add some more 1st picks 

Monroe would play much better with this unit.  His iq, inside scoring skills and length would take care of many problems we have today.  I mean in the 4th he scored almost all the points for the sad pistons.   He did it against KO, SUlly, Bass, Zelller, it didn't matter. He can do it against the better defenders in the league also.

Defensively he is not amazing and not much of a shot blocker (better than anyone we have on our team though), but is a good rebounder and is a good team defender.  Strong,  has a 7'3 wingspan and is a legit 6'11.  Excellent passer also. KO is also a good passer.  It would be nice to see them play together on the court

Its a good deal for both teams imo.  Balances the lineups.  Both teams should win more games as a result.   To me thats a good deal then
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 12:55:21 AM by triboy16f »

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2014, 02:12:24 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I'm pretty sure this is way overpaying.  Pretty sure that Jeff Green and a 1st round pick would probably get us Monroe considering he has clearly stated his desire to NOT return to Detroit...to the point where he refused to sign an offer sheet in the offseason.

Detroit can trade him and get a (much needed) veteran SF back, or they can let him walk for nothing.  I don't think they'll get an offer much better than Green and a Pick for Monroe TBH

Only problem then is that we lose a starting SF...I'm still not sure I'm confident with Turner starting there.  I guess it could be worse though.

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2014, 06:52:35 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
His one on one skills are hard to stop. Three pt plays after three pt plays. Kind of reminds me of big AL how he can score/fake/up and unders on you downlow. Good rebounder and overall a good player. He plays better as a Center. Pistons are in big trouble and should consider moving Monroe who has already indicated that he is not interested in signing a long term contract with them

To Celtics: Monroe, 1st round pick, and option to trade for higher 1st in the future, Jennings, Fillers (waive)

Monroe/Zeller
KO/Bass/Powell
Green/Young/Wallace
AB/Smart/Young
Turner/Pressey

Drummond
Sullinger
Smith
KCP
Rondo

works out for both team

Why give up anything when we don't gain his bird rights and can just sign him outright in the off-season?

I doubt he will come here in the offseason when he will have better teams chasing to sign him. But we can gain a step by getting him now and have him gel with the team.  He is also good friends with Jeff Green.   Jeff Green will then also want to stay.  I'm the fence on trading Green these days. I mean what other better SFs in the league could we get

If he wouldn't come here in the off-season when better teams are chasing him, why would he re-sign with a celtics team that just traded Rondo for him ? That would leave us with less talent, how would that be more attractive to him ?

Don't you think he would want to player with a PG that can get him the ball down low and easy looks instead of Evan Turner and Bradley as his starting back court?

Rondo or not Monroe will get plenty of touches. We have guys that can pass really well. 

You don't need to be a magician of a passer to pass the ball downlow for Monroe to do his work.

Ok but still, you said yourself it's doubtful he'll come here in the offseason.  I know you dont like Rondo, but youre just gonna throw away Sullinger??

i was impressed with him too tonight, but the defense we played on him was atrocious.

The Pistons won't trade Monroe for Rondo.  They need another player back in case Rondo bolts.  Hate to see Sully go, but if Monroe agrees to sign right after he gets traded, then its a good deal for both clubs.  We get to add some more 1st picks 

Monroe would play much better with this unit.  His iq, inside scoring skills and length would take care of many problems we have today.  I mean in the 4th he scored almost all the points for the sad pistons.   He did it against KO, SUlly, Bass, Zelller, it didn't matter. He can do it against the better defenders in the league also.

Defensively he is not amazing and not much of a shot blocker (better than anyone we have on our team though), but is a good rebounder and is a good team defender.  Strong,  has a 7'3 wingspan and is a legit 6'11.  Excellent passer also. KO is also a good passer.  It would be nice to see them play together on the court

Its a good deal for both teams imo.  Balances the lineups.  Both teams should win more games as a result.   To me thats a good deal then

Triboy you are such an impulsive and reactive fan. You watch one Greg Munroe game against our inexperienced players and now you're suggesting that we send Rondo and Sullinger for a guy that is currently signed to a $5 million dollar qualifying offer.

Why the hell would we give up an asset like Rondo, yet alone Sullinger for a guy that we could sign in 6 months if we really wanted him.
Monroe is a solid offensive player and rebounder but lacks the defensive talent that you continually harp on about in every other post.

Do you even consider how scattered and random your ideas and proposals are at times?
How does this team build defensive identity with Greg Monroe next to Kelly Olynyk?

Take a deep breath, relax and look at Greg Monroe's NBA career history.
He's never been an All Star, he's never averaged more than 16 pts+ 9 rebounds a season in 33 minutes a game. He's an average defender and he's about to get signed by some team for 12-15 million for 5 seasons.

Sullinger is averaging 16.3 points and 8.4 rebounds in 30.6 minutes a game.
He's done an okay job defending considering his match ups (he was bad vs the Pistons but he's done okay considering his partner in crime is Kelly Olynyk).
Sully's also cost controlled for 2 more years at his rookie pay scale.

Also consider that guys like Roy Hibbert will be free agents this summer as well- and the defensive impact he has on the game compared to Greg Monroe. Also consider how much better he might look next to Sullinger or Olynyk as the future of this franchise in the paint.

I know it's frustrating watching this terrible team, but our problems are mainly on defense-and Monroe doesn't fix these problems.
To sooth your anxiety, just wait until this offseason when we have more choice in big men and we can go after a game changing defender like Hibbert, rather than a nice role playing hybrid big man in Monroe.

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2014, 07:25:54 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Triboy you are such an impulsive and reactive fan. You watch one Greg Munroe game against our inexperienced players and now you're suggesting that we send Rondo and Sullinger for a guy that is currently signed to a $5 million dollar qualifying offer.

Why the hell would we give up an asset like Rondo, yet alone Sullinger for a guy that we could sign in 6 months if we really wanted him.
Monroe is a solid offensive player and rebounder but lacks the defensive talent that you continually harp on about in every other post.

Do you even consider how scattered and random your ideas and proposals are at times?
How does this team build defensive identity with Greg Monroe next to Kelly Olynyk?

Take a deep breath, relax and look at Greg Monroe's NBA career history.
He's never been an All Star, he's never averaged more than 16 pts+ 9 rebounds a season in 33 minutes a game. He's an average defender and he's about to get signed by some team for 12-15 million for 5 seasons.

Sullinger is averaging 16.3 points and 8.4 rebounds in 30.6 minutes a game.
He's done an okay job defending considering his match ups (he was bad vs the Pistons but he's done okay considering his partner in crime is Kelly Olynyk).
Sully's also cost controlled for 2 more years at his rookie pay scale.

Also consider that guys like Roy Hibbert will be free agents this summer as well- and the defensive impact he has on the game compared to Greg Monroe. Also consider how much better he might look next to Sullinger or Olynyk as the future of this franchise in the paint.

I know it's frustrating watching this terrible team, but our problems are mainly on defense-and Monroe doesn't fix these problems.
To sooth your anxiety, just wait until this offseason when we have more choice in big men and we can go after a game changing defender like Hibbert, rather than a nice role playing hybrid big man in Monroe.

You were generous. Monroe is a decent scorer and rebounder who is awful on defense and has cement feet. He averages about 15 ppg and 9.5 rebounds per game. Those numbers are respectable but not great. He also will be a FA next year and command $10m on the open market and has never shown any growth in his game. There's no reason to give up any significant assets on a guy who is a mid-season rental that you can't really prevent from going elsewhere next year.

The proposed team of:

Monroe/Zeller
KO/Bass/Powell
Green/Young/Wallace
AB/Smart/Young
Turner/Pressey

Is likely no better than what the Celtics put on the floor now, though in that scenario Smart is the starting PG. The only reason to do this is for an unprotected 1st, which the Pistons won't do.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2014, 07:27:34 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Monroe/Zeller
KO/Bass/Powell
Green/Young/Wallace
AB/Smart/Young
Turner/Pressey

Drummond
Sullinger
Smith
KCP
Rondo

works out for both team

Why do the Pistons get Sully in case Rondo bolts instead of the Celts getting an extra player in case Monroe bolts? Are they just that much smarter than us?

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2014, 07:33:15 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Chamber to me your as lazy and unrealistic of a fan as they come.

Wait,we can sign him in the offseason. Wait until the offseason ,when we can sign Hibbert.

You think those players want to come here as a FA? You think Rondo is staying? You think there is much of a future with KO, Sully as our main guys upfront?

Monroe can be traded for and IMO you think about it. Rondo should of been already traded. Did you forget how many games we have lost before last night? 

Sully is a quality young guy but is not consistent. He plays well vs certain guys, teams. But against length majority of the time , dont expect much. He came alive in the last mins of the 4th yesterday by shooting threes.

Monroe is a good player struggling to work with Drummond ,bc he is better suited to play Center.   Monroe might not be Drummond on the defensive end but he is not Drummond on the offensive end either. He is not all about scoring(though he can do that also) and is a high iq big man

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2014, 07:38:20 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I was also impressed with Monore. I expect him to be plan B for the Spurs this offseason. If they cant land Gasol he would make sense as their next PF in the post Duncan era.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2014, 07:52:28 AM »

Offline ForexPirate

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 19
I too was impressed with Monroe.  But other teams double team him constantly which is why he averages 13ppg.  Double teaming bigs seems to be a foreign concept for Brad Stevens and this version of the Celtics. 

Monroe did a lot of dribbling backing down his opponent without being bothered by a single other Celtic trying to swipe the ball.  It was a pitiful display of help defense.

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2014, 08:04:13 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald

Wait,we can sign him in the offseason. Wait until the offseason ,when we can sign Hibbert.

You think those players want to come here as a FA? You think Rondo is staying? You think there is much of a future with KO, Sully as our main guys upfront?

Monroe can be traded for and IMO you think about it. Rondo should of been already traded. Did you forget how many games we have lost before last night? 

Sully is a quality young guy but is not consistent. He plays well vs certain guys, teams. But against length majority of the time , dont expect much. He came alive in the last mins of the 4th yesterday by shooting threes.

Monroe is a good player struggling to work with Drummond ,bc he is better suited to play Center.   Monroe might not be Drummond on the defensive end but he is not Drummond on the offensive end either. He is not all about scoring(though he can do that also) and is a high iq big man

I'm lazy and unrealistic because I pointed out how dumb your post was?
And yes, if you didn't understand the first time I said it, I'll say it again:
We can sign Greg Monroe here as a free agent in the off season if we want to. He's not getting any decent offers from any teams so we will have no problem signing him.
But there's a reason he's not getting decent offers from other teams. It's because he's an average player.
You want blow our capspace on an above average role player that can't play defense AND trade Sullinger and Rondo for that guy- when we can sign him in 6 months. Re-read what you're proposing. Maybe you were drunk?

You whine about Rondo's defense and lack of rim protection and now you want to trade away our best young asset for a big man that doesn't play defense and scores less than that asset. Right.

Do you see the problem with what you're saying?

Rondo has plenty of problems with his game, but he's still our best player. He's the one who will attract the top free agents to Boston- the big guys want to play with him because he gets them easy shots.

I don't think Olynyk is in our future, but I think Sullinger might be. He's only in his third year and getting better each season. Put it this way- if David West and Roy Hibbert can be the backcourt of the number one defense in the NBA, then Sullinger and Hibbert could be pretty close too.
Again, Sullinger stretches the floor. He scores more points in less minutes than Monroe. He's younger and he's cheaper and he has a higher ceiling.
Monroe is a great player- but there is no way we are trading Sullinger or Rondo for him.

Sigh.

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2014, 08:11:10 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

So you're gonna harp on him for saying we could sign these players as free agents, but in your last post you made in this thread you said that Monroe would have to sign here right after hes traded.

Youre contradicting yourself.  This whole scenario you proposed is based on giving Sully, who produeces just as much as Monroe, to Detroit with the hope that he MIGHT like it here.

But then you're just gonna go and bash someone for suggesting we just keep our good player and hope to sign him in the offseason
Greg

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2014, 08:16:19 AM »

Offline Larry for 3

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 30
  • Believe in Boston
Monroe can score on anyone.  He is kind of like big al down low

Most bigs who can score on anyone get more than 13 ppg though.

You understand that Monroe plays with losers and knuckleheads like Smith, Drummond and Jennings right? You saw what happened when he actually got the ball. He's on the wrong team, would be a great fit in Boston. much better than Sully, commands a double team too. the only thing Sully commands is first in line @ the buffet table.
"They forgot about Larry Bird"--- Danny Ainge, 1987

"What happened to the Lakers??!!"--- Wyc Grousbeck, 6/17/08

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2014, 08:19:11 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Offseason sign and trade.

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2014, 08:22:53 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I'm lazy and unrealistic because I pointed out how dumb your post was?
And yes, if you didn't understand the first time I said it, I'll say it again:
We can sign Greg Monroe here as a free agent in the off season if we want to. He's not getting any decent offers from any teams so we will have no problem signing him.
But there's a reason he's not getting decent offers from other teams. It's because he's an average player.
You want blow our capspace on an above average role player that can't play defense AND trade Sullinger and Rondo for that guy- when we can sign him in 6 months. Re-read what you're proposing. Maybe you were drunk?

You whine about Rondo's defense and lack of rim protection and now you want to trade away our best young asset for a big man that doesn't play defense and scores less than that asset. Right.

Do you see the problem with what you're saying?

Rondo has plenty of problems with his game, but he's still our best player. He's the one who will attract the top free agents to Boston- the big guys want to play with him because he gets them easy shots.

I don't think Olynyk is in our future, but I think Sullinger might be. He's only in his third year and getting better each season. Put it this way- if David West and Roy Hibbert can be the backcourt of the number one defense in the NBA, then Sullinger and Hibbert could be pretty close too.
Again, Sullinger stretches the floor. He scores more points in less minutes than Monroe. He's younger and he's cheaper and he has a higher ceiling.
Monroe is a great player- but there is no way we are trading Sullinger or Rondo for him.

Sigh.

Like i said your unrealistic and especially lazy. My post about trading for monroe has risks.  But its a good one imo. Sully and rondo are not getting us a aldridge if thats what you eant. Rondo is going downhill and sully prob has reached his potential.

Do you remember thr last big FA signing with us? Even a guy like Jordan Hill, thomas this offseason?

Zero