Author Topic: Possible trade idea to improve this team  (Read 4420 times)

Possible trade idea to improve this team
« on: December 03, 2014, 07:54:47 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
First of all, the biggest needs that I've identified for this team are:

* Lack of a go-to (20+ PPG) scorer
* Lack of a starting calibre center

The big challenge in my eyes is that there don't seem to be many of those types of players out there are actually within our reach, from a trade point of view.  Here are two trade ideas I've come up with that could net us both:

Trade for a big man
There aren't many possibilities here that I like, but the one that keeps popping up in my head is Detroit because their front line is just so messed up.  Drummond has been terrible offensively (10 PPG @ 45% FG and 45% FT), Josh Smith while playing at SF has been even worse than that (14 PPG @ 38% FG, 28% 3PT, 45% FT) and the one big who is actually playing well, Greg Monroe, has made it perfectly clear that he intends to leave via free agency.  A drastic change is needed, because this team cannot possibly get much worse right now.

Boston gets:
Greg Monroe ($5.5 M)
J Jerebko ($4.5 M, expiring)

Detroit gets:
Jeff Green ($9.2 M)
Vitor Faverani ($2.1 M)
2015 1st Round Pick - LAC (from Boston)

What does Boston gain?
* A $4.5M expiring contract
* A starting calibre center who is:
- Genuinely big (6'11", 260 lbs, 7'5" wingspan)
- An excellent rebounder (career 10.5 rebounds Per 36)
- An efficient scorer (career 16 Points Per 36 @ 50% FG)
- A skilled passer to fit in Brad Steven's 'ball movement' offense (career 2.6 Ast per 36)
- A defensive upgrade (he's statistically average, which for Boston is a big upgrade)

What does Detroit gain?
* A much needed perimeter scorer (and defender) to take some load off Jennings
* The ability to move Josh Smith to his natural PF spot (this alone probably makes it worthwhile)
* A first round pick in the 2015 draft
* A return on Monroe, instead of losing him for nothing in free agency
* An offensive identity (Jennings, Meeks, Green, Smith, Drummond would be nice in transition)

Trade for a scorer
This one is a little bit harder, as 20 PPG scorers are highly valued in this league, so most teams won't give them up cheaply.   The only one that comes to my mind is Rudy Gay - he's playing well right now, but I think he'd be available for the right price.

Boston gets:
Rudy Gay ($19.3M)
Mo Williams ($3.8 M)
Gorgui Dieng ($1.4 M)
In - $24.5 M
Out - $23.2 M

Sacramento gets:
Rajon Rondo ($12.9 M)
Kevin Martin ($6.8 M)
Ronny Turiaf ($1.5 M)
2015 2nd Round Pick - PHI (from Boston)
In - $21.2 M
Out - $22.3 M

Minnesota gets:
Brandon Bass ($6.9M, expiring)
Ben McLemore ($3.0 M)
Tyler Zeller ($1.7 M)
James Young ($1.7M)
In - $13.3 M
Out - $13.5 M

What does Boston gain?
* A legit go-to scorer that they have desperately needed since forever
* A very nice young backup/prospect center in Gorgui Deng
* A capable starting PG or excellent sixth man in Mo Williams

What does Sacramento gain?
* A top shelf scorer and seasoned veteran in Kevin Martin (makes up for scoring lost)
* An All-Star calibre PG in Rajon Rondo (he's a game changer if they make the Playoffs)
* An Expiring contract in Ronny Turiaf (can be waived / bought out)
* An early 2nd round pick in 2015 (basically a late first rounder)

What does Minnesota gain?
* Dump KMartin's long term contract in return for Bass' expiring deal (puts them under the cap)
* Three young prospects with legit potential (McLemore, Zeller, Young)

If Boston could pull off both of these deals, their post-trade roster would look like this:
C - Greg Monroe / Gorgui Dieng
PF - Jared Sullinger / Kelly Olynyk
SF - Rudy Gay / Evan Turner / Gerald Wallace
SG - Avery Bradley / Mo Williams / Marcus Thornton
PG - Marcus Smart / Mo Williams / Phil Pressey

I think that's a pretty solid playoff team in this Eastern Conference, probably good for a 5th or 6th seed.   

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 08:22:25 AM by crimson_stallion »

Re: Possible trade idea to improve this team
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 08:27:35 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think the starting caliber center has to be able to play D.

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 08:42:50 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Actually, I like both deals.

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 09:00:31 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I think both options are off the table at this point.

Greg Monroe has been fantastic for Detroit. Far and away their best player. I'd be surprised if they don't try to keep him this summer. I think it'd take more than (soon to be free agent also) Jeff Green to convince Detroit to part ways with Monroe now. He is simply too well to part with at such a cheap price. Boston needs to put a lot more on the table. A high first round pick. Maybe Ainge can protect it through top 8 picks but late lottery at least.

Sacramento is playing very well right now too (by their standards in recent seasons). I think they are looking to add to their core rather than dismantle it. I'd expect Rudy Gay is off the table. Removing Gay + McLemore leaves them short of starting caliber talent to put around Rondo & Cousins. It'll be tough to convince Rondo to stay in that scenario also. I expect McLemore and future picks is about as well as Ainge could do here.

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 09:54:25 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Interesting article with Zach Lowe SPECULATING the Celts and Hornets could match up well on a trade.

One think I like about Stephenson is he could give us some toughness which we sorely need right now.

http://www.kpopstarz.com/articles/144765/20141201/nba-trade-rumors-lance-stephenson-boston-celtics-jeff-green-charlotte.htm

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 10:00:10 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Greg Monroe has been fantastic for Detroit. Far and away their best player. I'd be surprised if they don't try to keep him this summer. I think it'd take more than (soon to be free agent also) Jeff Green to convince Detroit to part ways with Monroe now. He is simply too well to part with at such a cheap price. Boston needs to put a lot more on the table. A high first round pick. Maybe Ainge can protect it through top 8 picks but late lottery at least.

Sacramento is playing very well right now too (by their standards in recent seasons). I think they are looking to add to their core rather than dismantle it. I'd expect Rudy Gay is off the table. Removing Gay + McLemore leaves them short of starting caliber talent to put around Rondo & Cousins. It'll be tough to convince Rondo to stay in that scenario also. I expect McLemore and future picks is about as well as Ainge could do here.
So you don't give any credence to Monroe signing the qualifying offer so he could be a free agent next year? When he signed the QO, Detroit lost his bird rights, meaning they can't pay him more than other teams to stay. I think they would trade him for less than Green and a first because they are almost certainly going to lose him for nothing next year.

I agree on the Sacramento trade.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 10:05:37 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
It makes little sense to acquire Monroe, since you don't get his Bird rights as part of the deal.  If you want Monroe, it is smarter to wait until July to sign him as a free agent.  Detroit still has Monroe's Bird rights, so a sign-and-trade that makes use of Gerald Wallace's expiring contract might make sense.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 10:14:37 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I'm not really sold on a team going far with Rudy Gay as their go-to scorer. Detroit's a train wreck though, you have to wonder how long they'll stay with their group though and who they'll want to move.

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 10:15:34 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

So you don't give any credence to Monroe signing the qualifying offer so he could be a free agent next year? When he signed the QO, Detroit lost his bird rights, meaning they can't pay him more than other teams to stay. I think they would trade him for less than Green and a first because they are almost certainly going to lose him for nothing next year.

Does Detroit not keep his bird rights? They just lose restricted free agent status.

I thought a player on a QO only loses bird rights if he is traded.

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 10:34:35 AM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
The way I read it, Lowe did not imply that the Hornets would give up Lance for Green.  Moreso that they would try to add Green to their rotation and keep Lance.

Lance would be a huge gamble.  He's a 13 yr. old trapped in the body of a 24 yr. old super athlete.

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 10:45:23 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

Does Detroit not keep his bird rights? They just lose restricted free agent status.

Oh I knew if he was traded the new team doesn't get his bird rights, but I assumed this was because no team had his bird rights when he became a free agent. If I am wrong then I guess that effects his likelihood of staying in Detroit.

However, I think him playing for way less than his value at the QO this year is indication that he is willing to take a hit to leave the Pistons.

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 11:05:02 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Oh I knew if he was traded the new team doesn't get his bird rights, but I assumed this was because no team had his bird rights when he became a free agent. If I am wrong then I guess that effects his likelihood of staying in Detroit.

However, I think him playing for way less than his value at the QO this year is indication that he is willing to take a hit to leave the Pistons.

I agree - Detroit can still pay him more, but that's dependent on them being willing to outbid other teams, and Monroe wanting to stay there.  Signing the QO indicates that at least one of those probably isn't true. 

I like Monroe and would like to see him in green but he doesn't really solve our glaring problems, just makes us better at things we're already pretty good at.

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 11:07:47 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

I agree - Detroit can still pay him more, but that's dependent on them being willing to outbid other teams, and Monroe wanting to stay there.  Signing the QO indicates that at least one of those probably isn't true. 

I like Monroe and would like to see him in green but he doesn't really solve our glaring problems, just makes us better at things we're already pretty good at.
In a general sense I agree with the last paragraph. But if Monroe was able to get us a couple quality post opportunities in the fourth quarter of every game, I think that would make a huge difference on this team.

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 11:32:47 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The rumors out there seem to suggest that Detroit can keep Monroe if they give him the max and move Josh Smith.  I don't want Josh Smith.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 11:35:43 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
The rumors out there seem to suggest that Detroit can keep Monroe if they give him the max and move Josh Smith.  I don't want Josh Smith.
I read that in the offseason, but I feel like once he signed the QO it showed that his relationship with Detroit is irreparable but that is only my gut feeling.

Also, I'm pretty sure Van Gundy has been bringing Monroe off the bench the entire season, that isn't really showing a commitment to him.