Author Topic: Rondo Trade Idea  (Read 5169 times)

Re: Rondo Trade Idea
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2014, 04:31:48 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Not picking on the OP, but there's a fundamental problem with any trade deals like this in that the Celtics have no roster spots left. Even if that deal happened, there's another deal that has to happen to even open up the roster spots and not go into luxury tax territory.

I also agree that Rondo doesn't help Utah enough for them to pull the trigger anyway.
The Celtics could simply cut Powell and Pressey. As to the luxury tax ramifications, they would be saving close to $4 MM in the deal so they wouldn't have to worry about the luxury tax.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2014, 04:34:43 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
So you've given him until December or half a season (plus his playing time last year) to see if he could become more of a complete player- which is something I understand.
I agree he hasn't looked like his old self as much as I would have hoped, but it's just very hard to see his impact with such a terrible roster around him. I mean he's literally got a bumsquad out there. Not because they're all terrible players, but because they're just so inexperienced.

For now though, I believe the Celtics will attempt to re-sign him to a team friendly deal in the 2015 offseason whilst trying to put better quality players around him. If they can't do that, and some kind of team offers him the maximum salary slot that he's talked about, then we can create some leverage with his bird rights.

eg if Sacramento starts licking their lips and wants to make Gay and Cousins happy, I could 100% see them giving him a maximum salary spot because they'd still have money left over for another $6 million+ role player. We might even be able to convince them to take Avery Bradley from us.
Will Ainge match a maximum offer? I doubt it. But if Sacramento is willing to give him 18 million through 23 million over 5 years and Ainge thinks he's only worth $15 million per year over 5 years, then we make a move like you've suggested. Utah is a possibility but I think Sacramento is more likely to be a place that Rondo would agree to. But I do like your suggested package. I could see them giving up Burke(SG) and Burks (PG) or Burks and Gobert for Rondo.
I'd lean towards Sacto as the favorite in the Rondo sweepstakes (after New York) and could see
something like:
Rondo+
Bradley +
Pressey for

Mclemore+
Stauskas+
Darren Collison+
Landry+
future draft pick.

They probably end up refusing to send both Mclemore and Stauskas so we take Stauskas and Ray Mcallum.
I'd fight HARD for Mclemore though because he's got star potential.
Kings now have a complete starting 5 with Landry being the weakness at PF but he's still very solid/servicable.

Leaves us without the brightest future but if Ainge won't match a maximum offer then we have to take what we can get. We'd look like:

Smart
Mclemore
Young
Sully
Olynyk
Zeller
-Our own 2015 top 5 pick
-Clippers 2015 pick

-Cavs 2016 pick
-Brooklyn 2016 pick

-Brooklyn pick Swap 2017
-Brooklyn pick 2018

haven't included 2nd round picks but they are worth a fair bit- they are just top 55 protected for the most part so I haven't bothered.

Would still rather re-sign Rondo and try to get Hibbert here, building around Rondo, Smart, Sully, Hibbert, Young.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2014, 04:43:51 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Stauskas hasn't shown anything yet.  It's like he attended a Rondo Shooting Clinic in the preseason.

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2014, 04:57:07 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
I'd pass on all the Utah prospects except something for Favors or Exum.  Wouldn't mind a Rondo for Favors trade, but Rondo's salary situation makes these ideas impossible.  Kanter is soft, his recent 15 rebound game notwithstanding.  Gobert is a giant, but he's tough to watch.

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2014, 05:07:17 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Not for trading Rondo .   Unless it is for a big name center or as a draft pick to take a sure top three lottery center pick .

Rondo needs to stay if at all possible .  Smart was a good pick up .  But this team is sorely lacking elite talent to go along with a unique player sure as a Rondo.

I believe this years win will be such as to get a really good lottery pick .

Trading Rondo would be another step,backwards for this club.

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2014, 05:11:29 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Stauskas hasn't shown anything yet.  It's like he attended a Rondo Shooting Clinic in the preseason.

I disagree. Stauskus will turn out to be like Mclemore in year 2. Too good of a shooter. I can see the klay thompson comparisons

If Danny can get either mc or staus(sad we could of had both) for Rondo, he should do the trade imo.
http://youtu.be/4pm9_P3wLMY

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2014, 05:27:23 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney

I disagree. Stauskus will turn out to be like Mclemore in year 2. Too good of a shooter. I can see the klay thompson comparisons

If Danny can get either mc or staus(sad we could of had both) for Rondo, he should do the trade imo.

I don't have a crystal ball about Stauskas' future, but last I checked 24% from 3 isn't that good.  :)

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2014, 05:28:57 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Can we spend a second pondering the merits of a nine point highlight reel?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2014, 05:36:18 PM »

Offline puskas54_10

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 13
Utah is rebuilding. They need a Top 5 pick, not Rondo.
I think you seriously overrate Rondo's trade value. Just think about. Rondo will be a free agent next summer. And he's not making a difference in a crap EC. The West is way-way tougher. Rondo is slowly losing his good reputation. This is his audition year, and it's not going well for him so far.

I think Rondo will be courted by a lot of teams.

Of course he will be courted. But how much money will he get? Or who would really give up anything useful for him at the trade deadline?

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2014, 05:42:13 PM »

Offline puskas54_10

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 13
So you've given him until December or half a season (plus his playing time last year) to see if he could become more of a complete player- which is something I understand.
I agree he hasn't looked like his old self as much as I would have hoped, but it's just very hard to see his impact with such a terrible roster around him. I mean he's literally got a bumsquad out there. Not because they're all terrible players, but because they're just so inexperienced.

For now though, I believe the Celtics will attempt to re-sign him to a team friendly deal in the 2015 offseason whilst trying to put better quality players around him. If they can't do that, and some kind of team offers him the maximum salary slot that he's talked about, then we can create some leverage with his bird rights.

eg if Sacramento starts licking their lips and wants to make Gay and Cousins happy, I could 100% see them giving him a maximum salary spot because they'd still have money left over for another $6 million+ role player. We might even be able to convince them to take Avery Bradley from us.
Will Ainge match a maximum offer? I doubt it. But if Sacramento is willing to give him 18 million through 23 million over 5 years and Ainge thinks he's only worth $15 million per year over 5 years, then we make a move like you've suggested. Utah is a possibility but I think Sacramento is more likely to be a place that Rondo would agree to. But I do like your suggested package. I could see them giving up Burke(SG) and Burks (PG) or Burks and Gobert for Rondo.
I'd lean towards Sacto as the favorite in the Rondo sweepstakes (after New York) and could see
something like:
Rondo+
Bradley +
Pressey for

Mclemore+
Stauskas+
Darren Collison+
Landry+
future draft pick.

They probably end up refusing to send both Mclemore and Stauskas so we take Stauskas and Ray Mcallum.
Kings now have a complete starting 5 with Landry being the weakness at PF but he's still very solid/servicable.

Leaves us without the brightest future but if Ainge won't match a maximum offer then we have to take what we can get. We'd look like:

Smart
Mclemore
Young
Sully
Olynyk
Zeller
-Our own 2015 top 5 pick
-Clippers 2015 pick

-Cavs 2016 pick
-Brooklyn 2016 pick

-Brooklyn pick Swap 2017
-Brooklyn pick 2018

haven't included 2nd round picks but they are worth a fair bit- they are just top 55 protected for the most part so I haven't bothered.

Would still rather re-sign Rondo and try to get Hibbert here, building around Rondo, Smart, Sully, Hibbert, Young.

The Knicks part: Do you know the triangle? Rondo is a horrible fit for it.

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2014, 06:10:46 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I don't have a crystal ball about Stauskas' future, but last I checked 24% from 3 isn't that good.  :)

He is a ROOKIE(only 15 nba games under his belt).  You want him to produce like a vet? You think if he reached 90 percent of his potential , the kings would even trade him?

Ppl here said mclemore sux. He wont be good etc etc. Well how has that statement turned out today? Sure stauskus only looks good in highlights and may never be even a decent bench player. But the chances of that happening are unlikely. He has very good height for a sg,  deadly shooting stroke, handles and plays with effort. 

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2014, 06:19:45 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney

He is a ROOKIE(only 15 nba games under his belt).  You want him to produce like a vet? You think if he reached 90 percent of his potential , the kings would even trade him?

Ppl here said mclemore sux. He wont be good etc etc. Well how has that statement turned out today? Sure stauskus only looks good in highlights and may never be even a decent bench player. But the chances of that happening are unlikely. He has very good height for a sg,  deadly shooting stroke, handles and plays with effort.
As you say, it's still far too early to tell.  McDermott is also shooting 23% from deep, but appears to be much more nba ready than Stauskas.  In the games that I've watched Stauskas has looked lost because he isn't featured on offense.  He's expected to space the floor and wait for opportunities.  I don't think that's his DNA.  He was an aggressive primary scoring option in college.  I think the Bulls have done a much better job playing to Dermott's strengths.

We just don't know with Stauskas yet if we have Jimmer or Sczerbiak or something in between.  I don't think he shows as a better prospect than James Young though.  Not yet, at least.

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2014, 06:24:19 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald

something like:
Rondo+
Bradley +
Pressey for

Mclemore+
Stauskas+
Darren Collison+
Landry+
future draft pick.

Smart
Mclemore
Young
Sully
Olynyk
Zeller
-Our own 2015 top 5 pick
-Clippers 2015 pick

-Cavs 2016 pick
-Brooklyn 2016 pick

-Brooklyn pick Swap 2017
-Brooklyn pick 2018

The Knicks part: Do you know the triangle? Rondo is a horrible fit for it.

I know the triangle, in my Rondo for Knicks pick trade thread the other day, I said that the Triangle was the questionable part about the Knicks going after Rondo. If his shooting from the Elbow gets back to his career averages, then he's less of a liability in the triangle.
Or the Knicks could change their offense to attain a star like Rondo next to Melo.
If Melo wants Rondo, I believe that Jackson could change the offense.

I'm not sure why you keep bringing it up- just as a side note, the Knicks care about income and gate commission- not championships. Last year they had a record breaking gate income of 145 million and they didn't even make the playoffs. If Rondo brings more fans, and makes them better, it's possible the triangle takes second place for another offense.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2014, 06:26:38 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Mcdermott is slow, and has no position. No height adv , i mean he has to work extra hard to get his point in the nba. Good spot up shooter

Stauskus has nba level quickness , athleticism (above avg), handles (pg level), height (6-6) and shooting stroke. He will get better.

Like i stated its either the kings or knicks. Shumpert,hardaway jr or stauskus maybe mclemore.  I like the prospects from the kings org better

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2014, 06:27:54 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
Can we spend a second pondering the merits of a nine point highlight reel?

lol I looked over it again after scrolling down. Note to self; 'Whoah 9 points, will not be clicking that'.