Author Topic: Rondo Trade Idea  (Read 5162 times)

Rondo Trade Idea
« on: December 02, 2014, 12:52:28 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
If this team doesn't show well with an easy schedule in December I think it will be time to trade Rondo (if we can get a quality package). A lot of the teams mentioned don't makes sense for lack of assets (Detroit, Dallas, Indiana) or fit (Sacramento, New York). One team that hasn't been mentioned but I think would be a good fit is Utah.

To Boston: Kanter, Burke, Filler, and either a first or Gobert
To Utah: Rondo

Why for Utah, they didn't offer Kanter and extension so he is probably gone next year. Rondo running with Exum would be a boatload of fun.

Why for Boston: they get a center prospect or two while they currently have 0, a point guard to replace Rondo in the rotation until Smart is ready to take all the minutes and a pick.

Let me know what you think.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Re: Rondo Trade Idea
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 01:23:16 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
nope nope nope

a) I don't think you base your decision to trade Rondo on a random month in a rebuilding season
b) I think his price is higher than "a center prospect" and a downgrade at point guard
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 01:24:38 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
It wont happen. The only teams interested in Rondo are either playoff ready, need a pg bc of injury or plan to sign him for the long run.

Right now the two teams a trade can workout with

1) knicks
2) kings

In a three way scenerio trade possibility

3) lakers

Like simmons predicted, its prob going to be with the knicks. Sac wont want to give up Mclemore the way he is playing now.

To knicks: Rondo, Bass, Wallace, thornton
To celtics:  stoudermire, shumpert, hardaway jr, aldrich, prigioni (waived)

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 01:30:35 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
nope nope nope

a) I don't think you base your decision to trade Rondo on a random month in a rebuilding season
b) I think his price is higher than "a center prospect" and a downgrade at point guard
Coming into the season I was fine giving Rondo the max if he earned it. However, if this is the type of play he gives you, he will not be worthy of the max.

In the original post I stated I would only move him if he and the team continued their current poor play against an easier schedule this month.

If we are re-signing Rondo and Green (assuming Green opts out) then we are locking ourselves into the team we currently have plus draft picks. Better to deal him for prospects now than lock yourself into a bad team for the future.

IMO Gobert, Kanter, and Burke (maybe with a first) is fair value for Rondo.

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 01:34:36 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
It wont happen. The only teams interested in Rondo are either playoff ready, need a pg bc of injury or plan to sign him for the long run.

1) knicks
2) kings

3) lakers

Like simmons predicted, its prob going to be with the knicks. Sac wont want to give up Mclemore the way he is playing now.

The Knicks just paid Phil Jackson and Derek Fisher a boatload of money to bring the triangle to NYC, Rondo could not be a worse fit in the triangle so I don't see the Knicks trading for him.

I think the Kings would still trade B-Mac and picks for Rondo but the question is would they want to trade for Rondo when their offensive system that is currently working for them does not fit the way Rondo plays? Rondo hasn't been a good defender this year and moving towards an uptempo offensive attack with Rondo doesn't make sense for Sacto.

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 01:46:24 PM »

Offline puskas54_10

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 13
Utah is rebuilding. They need a Top 5 pick, not Rondo.
I think you seriously overrate Rondo's trade value. Just think about. Rondo will be a free agent next summer. And he's not making a difference in a crap EC. The West is way-way tougher. Rondo is slowly losing his good reputation. This is his audition year, and it's not going well for him so far.

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 01:53:45 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

1) knicks
2) kings

3) lakers

The Knicks just paid Phil Jackson and Derek Fisher a boatload of money to bring the triangle to NYC, Rondo could not be a worse fit in the triangle so I don't see the Knicks trading for him.

I think the Kings would still trade B-Mac and picks for Rondo but the question is would they want to trade for Rondo when their offensive system that is currently working for them does not fit the way Rondo plays? Rondo hasn't been a good defender this year and moving towards an uptempo offensive attack with Rondo doesn't make sense for Sacto.

Ben Mclemore does not make or break their offense.

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 01:54:31 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
I think you seriously overrate Rondo's trade value. Just think about. Rondo will be a free agent next summer. And he's not making a difference in a crap EC. The West is way-way tougher. Rondo is slowly losing his good reputation. This is his audition year, and it's not going well for him so far.

I think Rondo will be courted by a lot of teams.

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 01:59:06 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

1) knicks
2) kings

3) lakers

That's not the point I was trying to make. I was attempting to say Rondo doesn't fit the scheme in Sacramento

I think Utah has enough young talent that they would prefer to get an established player to try to make a push for the playoffs rather than just add another high draft pick this year.

Just because Rondo isn't leading us to wins doesn't means he isn't making a difference. He is leading a team without any go to scorers to a solid offensive output.

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 02:14:13 PM »

Offline puskas54_10

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 13

1) knicks
2) kings

3) lakers

That's not the point I was trying to make. I was attempting to say Rondo doesn't fit the scheme in Sacramento

I think Utah has enough young talent that they would prefer to get an established player to try to make a push for the playoffs rather than just add another high draft pick this year.

Just because Rondo isn't leading us to wins doesn't means he isn't making a difference. He is leading a team without any go to scorers to a solid offensive output.

I don't see a big difference between Utah's and Boston's rosters. That's why I think he would not make much difference. And the west is tougher too.

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 03:17:05 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Utah is not ready to make the playoffs. If rondo, green cant help us be a 500 team, they certaintly cant help the jazz.

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 03:36:05 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
If this team doesn't show well with an easy schedule in December I think it will be time to trade Rondo (if we can get a quality package). A lot of the teams mentioned don't makes sense for lack of assets (Detroit, Dallas, Indiana) or fit (Sacramento, New York). One team that hasn't been mentioned but I think would be a good fit is Utah.

To Boston: Kanter, Burke, Filler, and either a first or Gobert
To Utah: Rondo

Why for Utah, they didn't offer Kanter and extension so he is probably gone next year. Rondo running with Exum would be a boatload of fun.

Why for Boston: they get a center prospect or two while they currently have 0, a point guard to replace Rondo in the rotation until Smart is ready to take all the minutes and a pick.

Let me know what you think.

I'd rather they keep Kanter and Burke and we just get Gobert, their first and salary filler. But Utah is one of the last teams I see making a push for Rondo.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 03:54:53 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
DET has more assets than Utah

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2014, 04:13:15 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
DET has more assets than Utah
Drummond is a great asset and better than anything the Jazz have but after that I can't disagree with you more.

Smith is making too much money and not producing much. Monroe is a free agent whose team doesn't have bird rights. This means that a team that trades for Monroe couldn't go over the cap to sign him, that really hurts his value. Jennings is trash. KCP is a shooter who isn't shooting well.

Exum looks likes he is going to be really good. Favors is a double double machine. Kanter and Gobert both have legit center size with high upside. Hayward is scoring about 20 a game. Burks is a solid scorer. Burke is a good playmaker. I think the Jazz have waaay better assets than the Pistons.

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2014, 04:16:51 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Not picking on the OP, but there's a fundamental problem with any trade deals like this in that the Celtics have no roster spots left. Even if that deal happened, there's another deal that has to happen to even open up the roster spots and not go into luxury tax territory.

I also agree that Rondo doesn't help Utah enough for them to pull the trigger anyway.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.