Author Topic: Everyone available on Charlotte  (Read 17413 times)

Re: Everyone available on Charlotte
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2014, 08:29:48 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Just so it's clear -- I actually like Biyombo (on defense) but even suggesting anything like 14/14/4 for him is a massive stretch.
10/10/2 seems reasonable if he ever works into a starter role.  10 garbage points and 5 fouls.  :)
I mean... he can't be THAT bad... he's twice the free throw shooter Rondo is.

Could that translate to three point shooting, too?

If Biyombo could shoot 3's...

« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2014, 08:31:23 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I forgot about Hairston's trouble off the court.  People change, I guess.  I'd roll the dice pending a little more background.

As for Biyombo, he got some good minutes the other night against the Hawks in a blowout and he made a big impact while he was on the court.  Tough rebounds in traffic and good defensive presence.  I would definitely gamble on him.  The reason nobody passes him the ball is because nobody on Charlotte passes the ball. 

People like MKG because he's a hawk of a defender and he gets after it on every single play -- 100% effort.  Count me as one of em.

Yeah, maybe.  I think that the charges were dropped, but that doesn't say anything to me other than athletes have had worse charges dropped against them before.  Still, he did have 15 points in garbage time the other day.  Look everyone - a shooting guard who can put the ball on the floor ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Dx-s8TNnOE

I like how the clip is only 57 seconds ;D.

« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2014, 08:42:47 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think a 7'6" wingspan makes up for that.  You don't rebound or block shots with the top of your head, anyway.

It helps but fatigue affects everyone and late in the game, tall guys are still tall and jumpers are sometimes winded.  The reach is a huge plus but it has not translated to anything but minor success in the NBA.

We are a crucial point, if we add quality, it may blow the tank job.   Depending on whether you subscribe on tanking or not?   Is the season worth saving?

« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2014, 09:01:02 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I think a 7'6" wingspan makes up for that.  You don't rebound or block shots with the top of your head, anyway.

It helps but fatigue affects everyone and late in the game, tall guys are still tall and jumpers are sometimes winded.  The reach is a huge plus but it has not translated to anything but minor success in the NBA.

We are a crucial point, if we add quality, it may blow the tank job.   Depending on whether you subscribe on tanking or not?   Is the season worth saving?

He doesn't need to jump to use his wingspan.  His standing reach is 9'3", same as Dwight Howard's.  Being a good jumper helps, but as long as he can extend his arms over his head when he's tired, it doesn't really matter, unless he's playing soccer.

Note, I'm not saying he's Dwight Howard.  I'm just saying that if he and Dwight Howard reached as high as they could over their heads, they'd reach approximately the same place, even though DH can see the top of Biyombo's head.  And I think most people would agree that DH has sufficient length to be an NBA center.

« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2014, 09:54:29 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He doesn't need to jump to use his wingspan.  His standing reach is 9'3", same as Dwight Howard's.  Being a good jumper helps, but as long as he can extend his arms over his head when he's tired

That is a reach, considering most NBA players can dunk which is ten feet, they can jump over that reach.   Jumping and timing matters, timing he has somewhat, I think he can jump decent for his size but Arn Tellem declined to have him jump at the NBA combine.   Despite all these tools and that reach he only blocks 1.6 BPG for his career and 1.5 BPG for this year.

« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2014, 09:58:31 PM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 513
Any chance we can get Michael Jordan?

« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2014, 10:38:49 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

The thing that has always concerned me about him is he is a short C at 6-9.   Dave Cowens, Bill Russell, Alvin Adams, Wes Unseld and Ben Wallace are rare quality players who over came their height.  I do not know if Bismark Biyombo can do so.
7' 6.16" wingspan
9' 3.42" standing reach

Compare it to Olynyk:

6' 9.75" wingspan
9' 0" standing reach

This stuff matters more than where the top of his head is.  I'd also guess he can jump twice as high as Olynyk, but I can't find a vertical for him.

I dunno... he's 22.  He's a year younger than Olynyk.  Maybe he can develop into a rim protector. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ199djBUA0
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 10:52:36 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2014, 10:43:43 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
You don't rebound or block shots with the top of your head, anyway.

Maybe you don't.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2014, 10:58:21 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

The thing that has always concerned me about him is he is a short C at 6-9.   Dave Cowens, Bill Russell, Alvin Adams, Wes Unseld and Ben Wallace are rare quality players who over came their height.  I do not know if Bismark Biyombo can do so.
7' 6.16" wingspan
9' 3.42" standing reach

Compare it to Olynyk:

6' 9.75" wingspan
9' 0" standing reach

This stuff matters more than where the top of his head is.  I'd also guess he can jump twice as high as Olynyk, but I can't find a vertical for him.

I dunno... he's 22.  He's a year younger than Olynyk.  Maybe he can develop into a rim protector. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ199djBUA0
To be fair, it does seem like his offense is exclusively wide open dunks... that'd explain why he shot over 60%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0yNGlU68U8

Still... teams have succeeded in the past with defense-first bigs. 

« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2014, 11:02:47 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Biyombo has the physical qualities and athleticism necessary to overcome lack of height.

What he does not have is the know-how.

« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2014, 11:04:16 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Biyombo has the physical qualities and athleticism necessary to overcome lack of height.

What he does not have is the know-how.
Do you think it's too late for him?  How much of it has to do with his coach/role/system/team?

How do you rank Paul Silas, Mike Dunlap and Steve Clifford as far as player development?

Man I'm telling you... there might be 4-5 guys on that team with untapped potential.  It's a gold mine, baby.   Catchem All!

« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2014, 11:08:37 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I really like the idea of a trade based around Bass for Biyombo.

I think Charlotte would go for that too. Their PF situation has been causing them issues and Bass can address some of their needs. I do not think Biyombo is in their long term plans anyway. Only a matter of time until they part ways with him. Big Al and C.Zeller both out-performing Biyombo at the center position and both have long term futures there in Charlotte.

I've always liked Biyombo and I would be happy to take a chance on him if available at a low price. I think Biyombo is a long shot to fulfill his talent but I am happy with those odds so long as price is low. A trade based around Bass certainly qualifies as such. It would help balance out Boston's PF heavy big man rotation too which is a nice bonus.

Biyombo certainly has a lot of potential as a defender & rebounder due to outstanding physical attributes. He is the type of low cost high reward reclamation project that Ainge should be looking out for while Boston is in a rebuilding period.

« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2014, 11:13:18 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I really like the idea of a trade based around Bass for Biyombo.

I think Charlotte would go for that too. Their PF situation has been causing them issues and Bass can address some of their needs. I do not think Biyombo is in their long term plans anyway. Only a matter of time until they part ways with him. Big Al and C.Zeller both out-performing Biyombo at the center position and both have long term futures there in Charlotte.

I've always liked Biyombo and I would be happy to take a chance on him if available at a low price. I think Biyombo is a long shot to fulfill his talent but I am happy with those odds so long as price is low. A trade based around Bass certainly qualifies as such. It would help balance out Boston's PF heavy big man rotation too which is a nice bonus.

Biyombo certainly has a lot of potential as a defender & rebounder due to outstanding physical attributes. He is the type of low cost high reward reclamation project that Ainge should be looking out for while Boston is in a rebuilding period.
If we dumped Bass for Biyombo I'd be ecstatic.

« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2014, 11:17:12 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I have to wonder if something based around AB and Green for Stephenson could work

I don't know know if it would be worth it, but despite his attitude Lance intrigues me (especially if we were to trade Rondo, since I think Lance and Smart would be a great backcourt pairing)

MKG has always interested me, too, but I don't see any reason to bring him here (I guess as a replacement for Green if we got more value in return?)

AB and Green for Stephenson?  That would go down as the worst trade by Celtics since the Joe Johnson trade.  No way.

« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2014, 11:23:48 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
He doesn't need to jump to use his wingspan.  His standing reach is 9'3", same as Dwight Howard's.  Being a good jumper helps, but as long as he can extend his arms over his head when he's tired

That is a reach, considering most NBA players can dunk which is ten feet, they can jump over that reach.   Jumping and timing matters, timing he has somewhat, I think he can jump decent for his size but Arn Tellem declined to have him jump at the NBA combine.   Despite all these tools and that reach he only blocks 1.6 BPG for his career and 1.5 BPG for this year.

Right.  I know it's reach.  Someone said late in the game no one can jump (I'm exaggerating) so I said he still had reach that's as good as Dwight Howard.  Which he does.  He can certainly jump.  Also, he only plays 13.5 minutes a game, so 1.5 blocks is pretty darn good.

No one is saying Biyombo is the second coming of Bill Russell, or even Ben Wallace.  If he were, we would not be having a discussion about trading him for Brandon Bass or Jeff Green -- at least not one in which some could plausibly argue "Don't do it."  He's a 22 year-old center who's an offensive liability, but there is some indication he can alter shots sometimes.  Our interior defense is beyond awful, and clearly Ainge should attempt to find a solution.  While praying for lottery balls to bounce our way for once is an option, as is convincing a proven center to sign here in free agency, neither of those can happen until the summer, and are anything but guaranteed.  If in the meanwhile we got to try out an alternative who's an expiring contract, but is also a restricted free agent next year, for a largely duplicative player like Brandon Bass, that should be a no-brainer.  At worst, Biyombo is likely to provide sometimes-useful defense at the expense of offense and be gone at the end of the year.  At best, he develops into a viable rotation-level center who's worth having around.

Again, he's 22.  There's a very real chance his best basketball is ahead of him.  We have nothing resembling interior defense at the moment, and the entire NBA knows it.  If he can be had for someone we've been trying to trade away for a year, that deal should happen as soon as possible.