Author Topic: Everyone available on Charlotte  (Read 17473 times)

Re: Everyone available on Charlotte
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2014, 06:03:29 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Hornets always seemed like a potentially magical trade partner.  SO many young prospects that I'm intrigued by.  They have an interesting depth chart there.  People remain down on Biyombo, but he's 22 years old and puts up 14 points, 14 boards and 4 blocks per 36 minutes... I'd be curious to see him on a new system with a more defined role.  Right now he's gotta battle for minutes with guys who frankly are bigger investments at this point (Zeller, Vonleh, Jefferson).

It's because he makes Fab Melo look like The Dream on offense. There's a reason they chopped his minutes in half when they decided to stop tanking:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/biyombi01.html

Also, there's no way his per36 numbers measure out to anything meaningful, because he'd be putting up 7 shots a game, which, if you've ever seen The 'Mack play, is a horrifying prospect.

He is, however, a great case study on the potential flaws of ORtg and Drtg.
I dunno D.O.S... maybe you're right.  But for the past two years he's gotten about the same amount of minutes as Omer Asik did in Chicago (when Asik was three years older than Biyombo right now)... and his Per-36 stats are better.  There's too many players on that team who are higher profile.  Again, I'm not guaranteeing that Biyombo is going to be an elite rebounder/defender, but his numbers are rather interesting.  If he can be had as a "throw-in"... freakin do it.

If we've got the roster to play 4 on 5 offensively, I agree.

We once had MVP Kendrick Perkins, so I think we'll be okay.   8)
I mean, Monkhouse brings up a great point.  Biyombo can score a little around the basket... he shot like 60% last year.  I'm sure those are just wide open looks, but ... so?  Our point guard is offensively inept too, but his positives outweigh his negatives.   If Biyombo develops into an elite rebounder/defender, that's something.  Maybe the days of Ben Wallace and Dennis Rodman are over, but the kid still intrigues me.

« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2014, 06:21:01 PM »

Offline inverselock

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44
Why not.   Can't get any worse defensively.   We aren't winning games with our offence.

« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2014, 06:22:44 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I'm still trying to figure out why people want MKG.

For the some them, the basic reason is that he is not-Green.  It's the same reason that some people over-value any PG who is not-Rondo and any SG who is not-Bradley.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2014, 06:24:01 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Bismack Biyombo makes Dennis Rodman look like Reggie Miller. The dude is bad. So bad that his teammates actively avoid giving him the ball. His shooting percentages are deceiving, because he doesn't shoot. Ever. This is another thing you would know if you actually watched him play basketball.
http://regressing.deadspin.com/the-nba-player-no-one-would-pass-to-1568943439
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2014, 06:24:09 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

With guys who pass well for their position at PG (Rondo), SG (Smart), SF (Turner) and PF (Olynyk and Sullinger), it could be pretty interesting how an athletic """finisher""" like Biyombo could fit in.

Defensively he's no doubt a fit. The offense is offensive at times, anyway. Maybe we'd look a lot better during those stalemates if we could throw out some defense.

« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2014, 06:33:47 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Just so it's clear -- I actually like Biyombo (on defense) but even suggesting anything like 14/14/4 for him is a massive stretch.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2014, 06:50:56 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
There's nobody on Charlotte that really excites me other than Jefferson and Stephenson and with Stephenson, I feel like we went down this road last summer and we couldn't get him, so…..

A big giant MEH for guys like Kidd Gilchrist, Biyombo, Zeller, Vonleh, etc.

« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2014, 06:58:58 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
I forgot about Hairston's trouble off the court.  People change, I guess.  I'd roll the dice pending a little more background.

As for Biyombo, he got some good minutes the other night against the Hawks in a blowout and he made a big impact while he was on the court.  Tough rebounds in traffic and good defensive presence.  I would definitely gamble on him.  The reason nobody passes him the ball is because nobody on Charlotte passes the ball. 

People like MKG because he's a hawk of a defender and he gets after it on every single play -- 100% effort.  Count me as one of em.

« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2014, 07:01:18 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Just so it's clear -- I actually like Biyombo (on defense) but even suggesting anything like 14/14/4 for him is a massive stretch.
10/10/2 seems reasonable if he ever works into a starter role.  10 garbage points and 5 fouls.  :)

« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2014, 07:09:19 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Green for MKG and Biyombo works money wise.

Throw in the Clippers 1st if you need to.

Biyombo interests me.

« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2014, 07:48:40 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
10/10/2 seems reasonable if he ever works into a starter role.  10 garbage points and 5 fouls.  :)
I mean... he can't be THAT bad... he's twice the free throw shooter Rondo is.

« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2014, 08:00:16 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Big Al is cool.

Not high on all the rest.

Trade a Bass and something for BIG Al

« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2014, 08:22:06 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

The thing that has always concerned me about him is he is a short C at 6-9.   Dave Cowens, Bill Russell, Alvin Adams, Wes Unseld and Ben Wallace are rare quality players who over came their height.  I do not know if Bismark Biyombo can do so.

« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2014, 08:25:05 PM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
I'm still trying to figure out why people want MKG.

For the some them, the basic reason is that he is not-Green.  It's the same reason that some people over-value any PG who is not-Rondo and any SG who is not-Bradley.

Exactly. The grass is always greener on the other side.
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2014, 08:27:14 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

The thing that has always concerned me about him is he is a short C at 6-9.   Dave Cowens, Bill Russell, Alvin Adams, Wes Unseld and Ben Wallace are rare quality players who over came their height.  I do not know if Bismark Biyombo can do so.

While I get the concern, I think a 7'6" wingspan makes up for that.  You don't rebound or block shots with the top of your head, anyway.