Author Topic: Everyone available on Charlotte  (Read 17416 times)

Re: Everyone available on Charlotte
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2014, 04:16:57 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Even if MKG is available, I'd be skeptical about having a starting wing who is 3-18 on threes for his career.  Any deal that involves getting rid of Jeff Green and obtaining his replacement should involve getting a player who is an upgrade on three-point shots.  I certainly don't want a starting SF who is a significantly worse perimeter guy than Gerald Wallace.

I think a more realistic trade idea looks like Gerald Henderson and Biyombo for Thornton and Bass.  Charlotte needs to include another salary, maybe Jeff Taylor.  The Celtics would need to clear a roster spot, probably waiving Dwight Powell.  The Celtics should also ask for draft compensation in case Henderson exercises his player option.

If the deal was that the Celtics waive Powell then trade Bass/Thornton for Henderson/Biyombo/Taylor, immediately waive Taylor and possibly re-sign Powell after that, what is the minimum draft considerations, if any, that you would want included by Charlotte to make you agree?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2014, 04:19:48 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
TP to saltlover for an interesting idea. I wonder if the Celtics might need to add a little sweetener to Bass? Celtics could take on Jeff Taylor to make the salaries work, and potentially cut him (his PR value right now being what it is).

The only problem with taking on the extra player ourselves is that we by rule would have to cut someone first, since we're at 15 players - even if we intended to release whomever we acquired.  Makes more sense to pay a team with an open roster spot some money to take on Maxiel's non-guaranteed contract so they can waive him.  Or Taylor if the Hornets like what Maxiel is giving them, but I doubt they do.

Maxiell can't be traded for three months after he signed with Charlotte as a free agent, so any deal involving him would have to wait until the end of the month.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2014, 04:26:34 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Even if MKG is available, I'd be skeptical about having a starting wing who is 3-18 on threes for his career.  Any deal that involves getting rid of Jeff Green and obtaining his replacement should involve getting a player who is an upgrade on three-point shots.  I certainly don't want a starting SF who is a significantly worse perimeter guy than Gerald Wallace.

I think a more realistic trade idea looks like Gerald Henderson and Biyombo for Thornton and Bass.  Charlotte needs to include another salary, maybe Jeff Taylor.  The Celtics would need to clear a roster spot, probably waiving Dwight Powell.  The Celtics should also ask for draft compensation in case Henderson exercises his player option.

If the deal was that the Celtics waive Powell then trade Bass/Thornton for Henderson/Biyombo/Taylor, immediately waive Taylor and possibly re-sign Powell after that, what is the minimum draft considerations, if any, that you would want included by Charlotte to make you agree?

I think Powell would be claimed off waivers and we'd lose him, for starters.  Don't think Ainge is a huge fan of that, so I think any trade where we get one of their minimum players would actually be a three-team deal with small compensation going to the third team for taking on whatever soon-to-be-released player they acquire.  But that's nitpicking, other than to say otherwise the Celtics should be compensated for losing Powell.

As for Henderson, I don't know enough about his game to know whether or not he would decline his option for next year.  If he'd still be on the books for $6 million, I'd say the cost is top 5-10 protected 1st, closer to top 5 protected.  If he'd be likely to decline, the price drops significantly.

Edit:  One thing I don't know is if Taylor takes up a roster spot while he's suspended.  If he doesn't, then that would make the trade a lot easier, assuming Charlotte doesn't want him back post-suspension.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 04:38:44 PM by saltlover »

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2014, 04:30:12 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
TP to saltlover for an interesting idea. I wonder if the Celtics might need to add a little sweetener to Bass? Celtics could take on Jeff Taylor to make the salaries work, and potentially cut him (his PR value right now being what it is).

The only problem with taking on the extra player ourselves is that we by rule would have to cut someone first, since we're at 15 players - even if we intended to release whomever we acquired.  Makes more sense to pay a team with an open roster spot some money to take on Maxiel's non-guaranteed contract so they can waive him.  Or Taylor if the Hornets like what Maxiel is giving them, but I doubt they do.

Maxiell can't be traded for three months after he signed with Charlotte as a free agent, so any deal involving him would have to wait until the end of the month.

I'd assumed he couldn't be traded until December 15th as an offseason signing -- didn't realize he signed in September and can't be traded until Christmas.  10 days doesn't change the calculus too much in my mind, but if the Hornets simply can't wait, I guess it would be Taylor instead of Maxiel.

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2014, 04:31:03 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I'd be happy to pick up Vonleh, Zeller or Biyombo from the Hornets (I love MKG but apparently he is not available)

I'm a Stevenson fan but with his current production I wouldn't take him on unless we were getting him at a huge discount.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2014, 04:48:52 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
MKG has always interested me, too, but I don't see any reason to bring him here
Because our defense sucks.  That's my reason.

I think PJ Hairston is going to be a player too.  He's got some fire to his game.

I don't know, Hairston looks like a Ricky Davis type to me.
Ricky Davis would be the best player on this team, or dang close.  Hairston also looks like he's interested in learning to play defense and really hates losing.  Can't have too many guys with that mindset IMO.

While I agree, have you forgotten about this?

UPDATE: A court date has been set for P.J. Hairston, who is facing assault charges after an altercation with a high school player, according to the Associated Press:

Charlotte Hornets rookie guard P.J. Hairston has to appear in Durham County Court on misdemeanor charges of assault and battery following an altercation at a pickup basketball game on Sunday.

Paul Sherwin, the public information officer for the Durham County Sheriff's Office, said Hairston, 21, was issued a summons on Monday but will not be arrested.

The 6-foot-6, 230-pound Hairston's court date is Aug. 8.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hornets rookie P.J. Hairston hasn't even been signed yet but he's gotten into an off-the-court altercation. Well, outside the NBA court anyway. Hairston's agent, Juan Morrow, confirmed to the Charlotte Observer and Yahoo Sports that Hairston was involved in a fight in a pickup game with a high school student in North Carolina Sunday.

“The other guy pushed (Hairston), and he pushed back. Both shoved each other,” Morrow said in a telephone interview.

At that point the altercation escalated into punches, the agent said.

“He swung at P.J., and P.J. swung back,” Morrow said, adding “both connected.”

Morrow said police were never called in reaction to the incident. A Durham police spokesman said she was unaware of any incident Sunday involving Hairston.

The Hornets issued a brief statement Sunday night, saying they are aware Hairston was involved in an incident and are gathering further information.

via P.J. Hairston in pickup game altercation | CharlotteObserver.com.

Hairston has a long history of off-court issues including an arrest for marijuana possession that later revealed a weapon possession while he was a student athlete at UNC. He was later suspended for improper benefits surrounding a rental car. He spent last year in the D-League, incident free before being drafted in the last first round by Charlotte.

More will be made of this because of Hairston's history, despite the police not being called and there being no real pattern tied to prior actions. But punching a high school student is simply never going to be a good look. We'll see how the Hornets react to this whenever whatever facts that can be gathered are collected.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24609735/pj-hairston-punched-a-high-school-player-at-a-pickup-game

Plus, isn't he their best shooter?  MJ can't be that dumb, can he, lol?  I love how First Take and everyone at ESPN tried to make Jordan sound like a genius for signing Stephenson, in addition to somehow equating such a move to mean that he is a better gm than Bird lol ::), but anyone with half of a brain should have seen that Lance and Kemba don't mix because they both need the ball in their hands to be effective.  Duh.  It really shouldn't be that hard to figure that out lol ;D.

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2014, 05:12:14 PM »

Offline bmac934

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 7
Disagree that we don't want lance for fear he'll get into altercations with teammates.  If we don't get lance, the drop off in scoring is too big in my opinion to trade mkg for jg.  We would need another primary scorer.

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2014, 05:13:06 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Hornets always seemed like a potentially magical trade partner.  SO many young prospects that I'm intrigued by.  They have an interesting depth chart there.  People remain down on Biyombo, but he's 22 years old and puts up 14 points, 14 boards and 4 blocks per 36 minutes... I'd be curious to see him on a new system with a more defined role.  Right now he's gotta battle for minutes with guys who frankly are bigger investments at this point (Zeller, Vonleh, Jefferson). 

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2014, 05:17:26 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Hornets always seemed like a potentially magical trade partner.  SO many young prospects that I'm intrigued by.  They have an interesting depth chart there.  People remain down on Biyombo, but he's 22 years old and puts up 14 points, 14 boards and 4 blocks per 36 minutes... I'd be curious to see him on a new system with a more defined role.  Right now he's gotta battle for minutes with guys who frankly are bigger investments at this point (Zeller, Vonleh, Jefferson).

It's because he makes Fab Melo look like The Dream on offense. There's a reason they chopped his minutes in half when they decided to stop tanking:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/biyombi01.html

Also, there's no way his per36 numbers measure out to anything meaningful, because he'd be putting up 7 shots a game, which, if you've ever seen The 'Mack play, is a horrifying prospect.

He is, however, a great case study on the potential flaws of ORtg and Drtg.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2014, 05:23:32 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Disagree that we don't want lance for fear he'll get into altercations with teammates.  If we don't get lance, the drop off in scoring is too big in my opinion to trade mkg for jg.  We would need another primary scorer.

I'm still trying to figure out why people want MKG.  Maybe we could get Hairston for Thornton - a veteran shooter and scorer off the bench to augment Charlotte's bench, and he's an expiring contract, to boot.  So where do I sign lol? ;D  I'm aware that the salaries won't work, btw, even if we included Biyombo.

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2014, 05:26:51 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
MJ can't be that dumb, can he, lol?

I think he has been a poor GM.  Most of his talents were physical, he is competitive as all get out, but I never saw Basketball vision or IQ as his strong point.  Will to win and physical standout maybe does not make the best drafter.

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2014, 05:47:51 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

It's because he makes Fab Melo look like The Dream on offense. There's a reason they chopped his minutes in half when they decided to stop tanking:

Also, there's no way his per36 numbers measure out to anything meaningful, because he'd be putting up 7 shots a game, which, if you've ever seen The 'Mack play, is a horrifying prospect.

I dunno D.O.S... maybe you're right.  But for the past two years he's gotten about the same amount of minutes as Omer Asik did in Chicago (when Asik was three years older than Biyombo right now)... and his Per-36 stats are better.  There's too many players on that team who are higher profile.  Again, I'm not guaranteeing that Biyombo is going to be an elite rebounder/defender, but his numbers are rather interesting.  If he can be had as a "throw-in"... freakin do it.

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2014, 05:48:22 PM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
MJ can't be that dumb, can he, lol?

I think he has been a poor GM.  Most of his talents were physical, he is competitive as all get out, but I never saw Basketball vision or IQ as his strong point.  Will to win and physical standout maybe does not make the best drafter.

I think MJ might be frustrated with all of the rebuilding and want another taste of the playoffs, DA should take advantage of this and try to pry MKG or any of the young bigs they have for Jeff Green or AB plus filler picks.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2014, 05:51:24 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

I dunno D.O.S... maybe you're right.  But for the past two years he's gotten about the same amount of minutes as Omer Asik did in Chicago (when Asik was three years older than Biyombo right now)... and his Per-36 stats are better.  There's too many players on that team who are higher profile.  Again, I'm not guaranteeing that Biyombo is going to be an elite rebounder/defender, but his numbers are rather interesting.  If he can be had as a "throw-in"... freakin do it.

If we've got the roster to play 4 on 5 offensively, I agree.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2014, 06:00:51 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

If we've got the roster to play 4 on 5 offensively, I agree.

We once had MVP Kendrick Perkins, so I think we'll be okay.   8)
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different