Author Topic: Isaiah Thomas as DA's first FA call (revisited)  (Read 662 times)

Isaiah Thomas as DA's first FA call (revisited)
« on: December 01, 2014, 07:37:36 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I know this is old news and i tried to find the original post on it but it was taking to long....

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/11/30/chicago-bulls-derrick-rose-his-own-pace-comeback-season/ZwuJXGbqomQv3ZnTNV0keJ/story.html

This article is from Gary Washburn at the Globe, I noticed it highlighted on realgm.

The reason I post it is for this interesting quote from Thomas,

"He (DA) brought up Avery and all the guys who have been in Boston from the [Seattle/Tacoma] area.”

Now I know I'm likely over analyzing minor details but the fact that AB was a point brought up in the sales pitch may say something about rondo's future as a celtic.

I had always assumed that Thomas was contingency plan if the Cs lost AB. In that scenario Smart would have been thrust into the starting SG role and Thomas would have been a high usage 6th man. At 25 with his size being a problem on D Thomas would have made sense moving forward as the offensive spark to compliment Smart and ABs defense. With this quote I have changed that assumption. It seems more likely that the plan was to move Rondo and have a rotation built around Thomas, AB and Smart.

This coupled with the lack of significant (W-L changing) roster movement (after love was off the table) this off-season makes me really think this is a showcase first half of a season for Rondo.  I am not saying this is what I would do or want the Cs to do. I am saying that this is what I think DA is doing and I can see the logic.

If you take every player over 24 off this roster you are left with,

PG Smart, Pressey
SG AB, Young
SF
PF Sully, KO, Powell
C  Zeller

The 2015 draft is heavy in Centers and SF, this could be a draft where the Cs plug in two more roster holes for the future. A rondo trade would leave the Cs firmly in the bottom of the east and hopefully net another 2015 first giving the Cs 3 and the likely 1st pick in the 2nd rd. Not to mention any asset that could be had for Green or Bass. If the Cs finish around #9 and additional picks are used to move up from the clippers 21st (where both currently sit) to say 15. The Cs could be able to get a SF/C combo like Hollis-Jefferson/Decker/Looney and WCS/Kaminsky/Johnson. Not a bad team to watch grow for the next few seasons.   

« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 09:07:24 AM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet