Author Topic: I think we missed the boat on Ben McLemore  (Read 8441 times)

Re: I think we missed the boat on Ben McLemore
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2014, 01:00:20 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Mclmore red shirted his freshman year. To be fair we would have to wait to the beginning on the 2017 to 2018 season and see how James Young is doing.
I do like Ben but I also like the guy we just drated, and I like his chances at being a legit 2 way player. James has the length to do it.
You know ... I'm actually not suggesting rondo for mclemore was a great idea.  But rondo for mclemore, Thomas and multiple picks... if that was really on the table, we might end up regretting it for years if Rondo leaves this summer.

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2014, 01:08:59 AM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
McLemore has found his stroke, but he still has most of the same issues he had last year. He's a bad decision maker with a suspect handle and below average passing ability. He's one of ten guards with a TOV% greater than 10 but a USG% less than 15. Not to mention his defense is still all over the place. Now, he's a 21 year old sophomore, so there's a chance he does become an elite scorer. I'm just not sure what's prompted you to think it's now more likely than not. I mean, I'd honestly be impressed if he becomes as good as T-Ross i.e. an elite athlete, decent defender, good shooter, okay handle - in his third year.

If Ross looks like he might be a star to you, I see why you might feel this way.

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2014, 01:12:56 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

OK LarBrd, Let's see if you like Mac this much, When Bradley is available to trade, Bradley, Rondo, and Kelly, For Ben Mac, Derrik Williams 6.3 Mil Expiring, Carl Landry bad contract 7 Mil per 3 yrs, And Jason Thompson same bad contract 7 Mil per 3 yrs,

You want him that bad.

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2014, 01:31:54 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Mclmore red shirted his freshman year. To be fair we would have to wait to the beginning on the 2017 to 2018 season and see how James Young is doing.
I do like Ben but I also like the guy we just drated, and I like his chances at being a legit 2 way player. James has the length to do it.
You know ... I'm actually not suggesting rondo for mclemore was a great idea.  But rondo for mclemore, Thomas and multiple picks... if that was really on the table, we might end up regretting it for years if Rondo leaves this summer.
Also they may have taken Wallace from us too. I agree that wold have been a grrrrreat deal especially if Rondo leaves. I think you and I have been on the same page with that.

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2014, 01:38:48 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932

From what I remember, Rondo stopped the deal because he wouldn't resign there.  Depending on the protection and years on the picks, it might've been worth it, though I'm not sold on Thomas. We already have a four foot backup point guard.  ;D

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2014, 01:44:52 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
What do you think of James Young? I'm pretty high on his future here and I think he will eventually play the 2.

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2014, 06:12:06 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76

OK LarBrd, Let's see if you like Mac this much, When Bradley is available to trade, Bradley, Rondo, and Kelly, For Ben Mac, Derrik Williams 6.3 Mil Expiring, Carl Landry bad contract 7 Mil per 3 yrs, And Jason Thompson same bad contract 7 Mil per 3 yrs,

You want him that bad.

Are you the GM?  Just wondering why you think that's the best we could get in a Rondo deal.
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2014, 06:33:22 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
What do you think of James Young? I'm pretty high on his future here and I think he will eventually play the 2.
I was not the target of this question but I will butt in and answer anyway.  I would trade James Young for Ben McLemore.  I think McLemore is the better prospect at this point in time.  I think Young is a very good prospect as well though.  He has that same smooth athletic manner about him that McLemore has.  Of course Gerald Green had it as well so that by itself does not mean that a prospect will be good.  It is one of those "can't teach" kind of things like being tall.

Having Young though, would not prevent me from getting McLemore is we had the chance and the overall deal was good.  I am not that worried about having an imbalanced roster or some depth redundancy at this point.  We can do additional trades later to work that out.  Right now, we just need better talent and upside and I feel McLemore has both of those things (as does Young).
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 12:47:50 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2014, 06:52:32 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

You want him that bad.

I am too mesmerized by Kelly's hair to answer that question.

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2014, 09:31:58 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

He may or may not turn out to be a decent player, but even in the small sample size 3/4 of his baskets are assisted and he has the same usage% as Reggie Evans and Ryan Hollins.

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2014, 03:54:56 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Even with McLemore not being likely I'd still work a deal with kings. I'd take Staukas, fillers and future first for Rondo then flip Green and Philly 1st* for Vonleh A.S.A.P. win draft lottery and draft Towns.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=km493zq

2014 haul
Smart PG, pick 6th
Staukas SG, pick 8th
Vonleh PF, pick 9th
Young SF, pick 17th
Towns C, pick 1st

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2014, 06:33:47 AM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52

Agreed. Can we all just admit that we overrated Rondo for years and that he's a role player on a good team? Role players shouldn't get that package the Kings offered but of course they wanted to overpay. Ainge not dealing Rondo for Maclemore is another bonehead move in the overrated career of Danny Ainge.

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2014, 10:48:07 AM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76

Agreed. Can we all just admit that we overrated Rondo for years and that he's a role player on a good team? Role players shouldn't get that package the Kings offered but of course they wanted to overpay. Ainge not dealing Rondo for Maclemore is another bonehead move in the overrated career of Danny Ainge.

How do you know that Ainge had an option to deal Rondo for Mclemore?
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2014, 10:51:00 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48

I am not a Rondo fan either but he is not a role player on a good time.  He is still a good PG, he is not an elite one, like people on this board think he is.  You can't build a title team around him.  I would have moved him for McLemore at the draft if it was possible but who knows what was actually on the table??

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2014, 10:24:38 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Remember all summer when we kept proposing different Rondo for McLemore/Filler trades as well as Green/Fav for Biyombo/MKG?

Yeah ????