Author Topic: Spurs (11-4) at Celtics (4-9) Game #14 11/30/14  (Read 26621 times)

Re: Spurs (11-4) at Celtics (4-9) Game #14 11/30/14
« Reply #135 on: December 01, 2014, 08:43:22 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Parker is a very good scorer and a good assist guy but looks better than he is by playing a defined role in a system that isn't asking him to do more than he can.
And Rondo is pretty much the same thing minus all the scoring...

Rondo is a far superior rebounder, passer and has a career steal average over twice Parker's.  He's basically way better at everything than Parker except scoring.

Mike

Parker > rondo

« Reply #136 on: December 01, 2014, 09:31:57 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
When Gorman said that Duncan will always be the one that got away for C's fans...when in reality it was Parker---who was sitting there, in our laps on draft night---even Pitino (who was draft commentator) said "I think the Celtics will draft Tony Parker"---and OOPS, we draft JOE FORTE......knew it was a bad decision right when it happened.

I know that I'll likely be in the minority here, but I think that Tony Parker is overrated.  His game has always been based on his blinding speed, and he's never been a very good passer, imo.  He really just looks to score.  I mean, sure, he does have some great moves, like the spinning one where he travels but always gets away with, but he's not really a good defender, and if he isn't scoring out there, he doesn't have any impact on the game.  I'd much rather have Rondo.  A Rondo, Joe Johnson, Paul Pierce, and Kevin Garnett quartet would have been even better than Rondo, Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, and KG, imo, but we'll never know.  Sigh.

Also, even though this has nothing to do with his on-court abilities, how in the world did he cheat on Eva Longoria?  Seriously, bro - how?
Couldn't disagree more.  You talk about a point guard who controls every aspect of a game through tempo, distribution, and scoring... this guy is the best since Isiah and he keeps getting better. 

Flashy passing is what's overrated.  Parker gets the Spurs into their sets FAST.  He resets FAST when they break down.  He creates for others, exploits weak defenders, takes care of the ball, and when all else fails he can score from anywhere.  Oh, and he can make a free throw.

WHAT? :o  That's more than a little ridiculous, imo.  How many great point guards have played since Zeke retired - Payton, Stockton, KJ, Kidd, Nash, Momma there goes that man ;) ;D, and Hardaway are a few that come to mind.

I'd also like to add that Rondo nearly averaged a triple double in the playoffs in only his 3rd year in the league as a guy who's 6'1", was the best player in series with Derrick Rose and Lebron James, and was probably the sole reason why we beat the Cavs in 2010.  They exhausted their entire team on him, and THEY COULD NOT STOP HIM.  Not even Lebron, nor could he or Wade do so when they played against the Celtics in the 2011 and 2012 postseasons.  Seriously, what games have you been watching?  The Heat tried everyone on him as well, and he still COMPLETELY DOMINATED, and yet, when Miami switched Lebron on to Parker, not only did they stop Tony from scoring, but he really had no effect on the outcome of those two series.  If he's as great as you say, why didn't he play like Rondo and exploit the mistmatch(es) that were created by having Lebron guard him?  I saw NONE OF THAT.  Even when he didn't hurt his hamstring, he was really up and down in the last two NBA Finals.  Parker can score, but he's not Rondo - not even close.  Rondo is so smart to the point that opposing coaches have admitted that they cannot 'scheme' for him (as Thibs, ask Spoelstra), as he can dominate a game without ever taking a shot, which, imo, is the definition of a great player.  Parker wasn't always a good shooter, either.  I don't know, I just consider it to be an honor to watch Rondo play, and I suggest that you at least start to appreciate him, as well, before Ainge trades him for a bucket of spare parts and at least one horrible contract.  No, he's not perfect, but he's the most unique player in the game, and I'd take him any day over Parker and twice on Sunday, but I'm pretty sure that we'll have to agree to disagree on this one lol ;D.
I appreciate Rondo.  Parker is just a better player.  Rondo is more "unique".  I'll grant that.  You know what you're getting with Parker though:

4 championships
~18ppg on 50% shooting
80% foul shooter
Able to create his own shot
Wins, wins, wins.  Always has.  Credit his teammates or his coach or his system or whatever, but this guy has been winning since before he was an adult.  FIBA-u18 Gold medal and MVP all the way to the current day.

Gameplanning for Rondo is easy.  Foul him, or make him shoot.

You know, in many interviews when he's been asked about his ridiculous assist totals, Rondo pretty much just kind of shrugs and says, "as far as the assists - guys made shots," so it's not like he's boasting about his playmaking ability. 

As for the game plan against him, every coach has tried that and it's rarely worked.  You can throw up Parker's rings all you want, but he's not a guy who makes others better, or at least maximizes their talent(s), so that's why I'll take Rondo.  Parker, at least to me, is kind of like a less-athletic Derrick Rose in how he plays, except that he passes a little bit more, but at the core, he's really just a shooting guard in a point guard's body.  I wouldn't blame Rondo for not being on a French national team, btw (not that you are) ;D.  I also found it humorous a couple of years ago when Parker said that he thought that Rondo was overrated, because, imo, it's the whole pot-kettle paradigm, and I believe that Rondo then proceeded to go out there and wipe the floor with Tony lol ;D.

« Reply #137 on: December 01, 2014, 09:48:14 PM »

Offline inverselock

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44
When Gorman said that Duncan will always be the one that got away for C's fans...when in reality it was Parker---who was sitting there, in our laps on draft night---even Pitino (who was draft commentator) said "I think the Celtics will draft Tony Parker"---and OOPS, we draft JOE FORTE......knew it was a bad decision right when it happened.

I know that I'll likely be in the minority here, but I think that Tony Parker is overrated.  His game has always been based on his blinding speed, and he's never been a very good passer, imo.  He really just looks to score.  I mean, sure, he does have some great moves, like the spinning one where he travels but always gets away with, but he's not really a good defender, and if he isn't scoring out there, he doesn't have any impact on the game.  I'd much rather have Rondo.  A Rondo, Joe Johnson, Paul Pierce, and Kevin Garnett quartet would have been even better than Rondo, Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, and KG, imo, but we'll never know.  Sigh.

Also, even though this has nothing to do with his on-court abilities, how in the world did he cheat on Eva Longoria?  Seriously, bro - how?
Couldn't disagree more.  You talk about a point guard who controls every aspect of a game through tempo, distribution, and scoring... this guy is the best since Isiah and he keeps getting better. 

Flashy passing is what's overrated.  Parker gets the Spurs into their sets FAST.  He resets FAST when they break down.  He creates for others, exploits weak defenders, takes care of the ball, and when all else fails he can score from anywhere.  Oh, and he can make a free throw.

WHAT? :o  That's more than a little ridiculous, imo.  How many great point guards have played since Zeke retired - Payton, Stockton, KJ, Kidd, Nash, Momma there goes that man ;) ;D, and Hardaway are a few that come to mind.

I'd also like to add that Rondo nearly averaged a triple double in the playoffs in only his 3rd year in the league as a guy who's 6'1", was the best player in series with Derrick Rose and Lebron James, and was probably the sole reason why we beat the Cavs in 2010.  They exhausted their entire team on him, and THEY COULD NOT STOP HIM.  Not even Lebron, nor could he or Wade do so when they played against the Celtics in the 2011 and 2012 postseasons.  Seriously, what games have you been watching?  The Heat tried everyone on him as well, and he still COMPLETELY DOMINATED, and yet, when Miami switched Lebron on to Parker, not only did they stop Tony from scoring, but he really had no effect on the outcome of those two series.  If he's as great as you say, why didn't he play like Rondo and exploit the mistmatch(es) that were created by having Lebron guard him?  I saw NONE OF THAT.  Even when he didn't hurt his hamstring, he was really up and down in the last two NBA Finals.  Parker can score, but he's not Rondo - not even close.  Rondo is so smart to the point that opposing coaches have admitted that they cannot 'scheme' for him (as Thibs, ask Spoelstra), as he can dominate a game without ever taking a shot, which, imo, is the definition of a great player.  Parker wasn't always a good shooter, either.  I don't know, I just consider it to be an honor to watch Rondo play, and I suggest that you at least start to appreciate him, as well, before Ainge trades him for a bucket of spare parts and at least one horrible contract.  No, he's not perfect, but he's the most unique player in the game, and I'd take him any day over Parker and twice on Sunday, but I'm pretty sure that we'll have to agree to disagree on this one lol ;D.
I appreciate Rondo.  Parker is just a better player.  Rondo is more "unique".  I'll grant that.  You know what you're getting with Parker though:

4 championships
~18ppg on 50% shooting
80% foul shooter
Wins, wins, wins.  Always has.  Credit his teammates or his coach or his system or whatever, but this guy has been winning since before he was an adult.  FIBA-u18 Gold medal and MVP all the way to the current day.

You know, in many interviews when he's been asked about his ridiculous assist totals, Rondo pretty much just kind of shrugs and says, "as far as the assists - guys made shots," so it's not like he's boasting about his playmaking ability. 

As for the game plan against him, every coach has tried that and it's rarely worked.  You can throw up Parker's rings all you want, but he's not a guy who makes others better, or at least maximizes their talent(s), so that's why I'll take Rondo.  Parker, at least to me, is kind of like a less-athletic Derrick Rose in how he plays, except that he passes a little bit more, but at the core, he's really just a shooting guard in a point guard's body.  I wouldn't blame Rondo for not being on a French national team, btw (not that you are) ;D.  I also found it humorous a couple of years ago when Parker said that he thought that Rondo was overrated, because, imo, it's the whole pot-kettle paradigm, and I believe that Rondo then proceeded to go out there and wipe the floor with Tony lol ;D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MnvNJ6aY1c

« Reply #138 on: December 01, 2014, 10:34:11 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Well what about our bigs meandering after a made hoop? Splitter and Duncan, in particular, sprint out of bounds and chuck the ball almost to half court. I'm not saying Rondo is without fault (my family will tell you that after hearing me scream at the TV to push the ball), but playing fast paced is a team game.

Another factor to look at as a discussion point: If Sullinger got in better shape, would we be in a  better spot to run? Maybe Rondo is slowing the game down to play to Sully's strengths (i.e. not the trailing, top-of-the-arc three or running coast to coast). Maybe Sully is holding us back and Rondo is doing the PG's job of putting his teammates in the best position to succeed. I mean, the Spurs bigs are in phenomenal shape, and that is a huge part of the way they play. Their sets are basically half of the old Kansas semi-transition plays.   

« Reply #139 on: December 01, 2014, 10:46:40 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

4 championships
~18ppg on 50% shooting
80% foul shooter

Yeah, I remember seeing that, too, but what's your point?  Is it that we've never seen a televised congratulations of this kind between CBS (that acronym kind of bugs me for some reason, lol) or Doc with Rondo, because I think we've all seen the remarks from KG and Pierce over the years about him.

« Reply #140 on: December 01, 2014, 10:50:42 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Tony Parker will be in the Hall of Fame...Rondo will not.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #141 on: December 01, 2014, 10:52:29 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Hm. I actually think Ginobili has a stronger HoF case than Parker. It really depends on what sort of individual accolades Rondo's able to accrue before he retires.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #142 on: December 01, 2014, 11:05:16 PM »

Offline inverselock

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44

4 championships
~18ppg on 50% shooting
80% foul shooter

Yeah, I remember seeing that, too, but what's your point?  Is it that we've never seen a televised congratulations of this kind between CBS (that acronym kind of bugs me for some reason, lol) or Doc with Rondo, because I think we've all seen the remarks from KG and Pierce over the years about him.

Parker does contribute outside of scoring.  An all around game.  Plays well on and off the ball.

« Reply #143 on: December 02, 2014, 11:27:20 AM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199

Hm. I actually think Ginobili has a stronger HoF case than Parker. It really depends on what sort of individual accolades Rondo's able to accrue before he retires.
All 3 will make it.  Parker's a 4 time champ, 6 time all star and finals MVP.  He's a shoo-in.

« Reply #144 on: December 02, 2014, 11:59:25 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

All 3 will make it.  Parker's a 4 time champ, 6 time all star and finals MVP.  He's a shoo-in.

Oh, I agree -- I think Rondo's the least likely of the trio. Ginobili was just something I thought of when I read that post: I think a lot of fans underestimate his international resume.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.