Author Topic: Gerald Wallace & Evan Turner  (Read 2149 times)

Gerald Wallace & Evan Turner
« on: November 28, 2014, 08:32:22 PM »

Offline bmac934

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 7
Obviously the situation of the game will dictate who should play.  But once marcus smart gets back what do you guys think about giving marcus thorntons minutes mostly to gerald wallace, and when possible to Evan Turner?  Brads really trying to build our identity around defense and wallace is the better fit.  Also with thornton on the bench, evan turner can keep his combo guard role but really take on the offensive load for our bench.  ET is a proven offensive weapon from philli, IN THE STARTING LINEUP.  He should have absolutely no problem tearing up benches.  Hes been better with it lately but these nights that hes only shooting the ball six times isnt doing it for me.  Also lets reiterate that defensively we get significantly better with crash on the floor than marcus thornton.  And once marcus smart gets back we'll have a better offense, minimizing the need to play MT.  Let me know what you guys think!

P.S. Even if you guys disagree, I think ET needs a significantly bigger role.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 08:41:49 PM by bmac934 »

Re: Gerald Wallace & Evan Turner
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 08:43:18 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think once Smart comes back he will take all of Pressey's minutes plus cut slightly into Turner's, and Thornton's minutes.

Wallace is good in spot minutes for defense but I think his lack of offense would hurt us too much if he got any more than that.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 08:59:28 PM »

Offline bmac934

• Derrick White
But thats what I'm saying.  It gives Evan Turner and even Marcus Smart the opportunity to take on a much bigger role offensively (especially Evan Turner though).  Off the bench ET and MS can shoulder that load.  Then it makes us a much better defensive team with Gerald Wallace getting those consistent minutes.

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 09:29:01 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Thornton> Wallace. Thornton may be retained/resigned depending on how year and off season turns out. Wallace will likely be dealt next year as a expiring salary. Wallace has no value as a player

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 02:40:03 AM »

Offline bmac934

• Derrick White
What does either of those two things have to do with who deserves playing time?

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 02:48:48 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I think Wallace seems content with his role and Stevens doesn't want to juggle the lineups to the point where players get irritated.

Wallace seems like a spot guy until someone inevitably gets hurt. I also don't think our team is solid offensively to the point where Wallace can get some serious burn and not negatively affect the team. Also I don't see his defense as a difference maker.

My $.02

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 08:11:59 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
If Even Turner would play at an even solid level it is a no brainer.  After preseason I thought this was a steal of a deal AND guy should be in running for 6th man of the year.  Knowing his lackluster defense I still thought he was still  a great find. 
Well the defense is worse than any wing/guard on roster  :-[  which is a good thing for thornton as he has been working nicely on defense.  Turner has looked inconsistent on offense, lots of BAD turnovers.   I love that he can fill a stat sheet but would prefer less turnovers (or at least better? turnovers) and more effort on defense.  Turner playing at a level which he should be able to (paul pierce light) than it should be all his minutes off the bench, or starting over bradley, and smart, thornton and wallace fighting over scrap minutes.  Pressey seems like good guy, works hard and runs the break nicely but he's a fringe nba player.  For him to stay he has to get 3 pt range and become a very good shooter. 
I for one like what wallace brings, grit, hustle, good passer, defender and rebounder.  Just can't/won't shoot a lick. 
I think our main problem just about down the line is that our team is currently set up as mostly assets waiting for a trade.  We have rondo, green and maybe sully.  Then I can't distinguish between the players.  All are bench guys and about the same level.  Wallace brings as much to a team as turner but in different ways.  Bass good solid big off the bench, who's better bass, kelly, sully?  Not one of them has really stepped up (edge to sully imo).
 ::)
i digress ….don't worry my glass is always half full.  We are throwing games, rondos in on the deal with ainge and stevens.  We make playoffs just barely get a good draft pick, make a great trade etc.  8)

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 08:50:47 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Seriously? Thornton is the better player and could be kept means a lot about who deserves playing time. Or are you talking about play Wallace because you want to tank and don't care about possibly resigning Thornton. In a tank world  you definitely don't want Thornton getting minutes. Look at Thornton head up plays, offense and steals in his limited minutes the dude is much better on the floor than Wallace (who's full nickname is really not Crash but "Crash-dummy")

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 09:00:43 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I don't think Wallace and Turner is a great combination, but if they are in there together off the bench, you probably really want Thornton's shooting and range in there as well.

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2014, 01:20:22 PM »

Offline bmac934

• Derrick White
Seriously? Thornton is the better player and could be kept means a lot about who deserves playing time. Or are you talking about play Wallace because you want to tank and don't care about possibly resigning Thornton. In a tank world  you definitely don't want Thornton getting minutes. Look at Thornton head up plays, offense and steals in his limited minutes the dude is much better on the floor than Wallace (who's full nickname is really not Crash but "Crash-dummy")

No, that is not true that Thornton is better than Wallace.  There both role players who serve a specific need.  I believe we need Wallace's skill set more than thorn tons.  If you think that making marcus Thornton benched is tank mode for us I really don't know what to say, that's absolutely ridiculous lol. And FYI there is almost no chance either that Wallace or Thornton gets retained.