Author Topic: Team needs to keep tanking hard!!!  (Read 3838 times)

Re: Team needs to keep tanking hard!!!
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2014, 09:21:07 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I think they already are and they're not even trying.

We're just a bad team right now. Especially defensively.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2014, 09:23:24 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Tanking sure hasn't help the 76ers yet..they been doing it for years and look at them now..still winless

Uhh, they only started this rebuild last season.  The other seasons before that, they were either a low playoff seed (remember they beat the Bulls when Rose tore his ACL?) or just missed out on the playoffs.  The Sixers pre-2013 were most certainly not tanking, they were just legitimately bad or mediocre.

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2014, 09:30:34 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Tanking is not the answer. I tell you how tanking really works:
Year 1: you dump your talented players
Year 2: you are lucky and get a a franchise player
  or not, back to tanking
Year 3: you are in the lottery againg, maturing process
  or you still don't find your franchise player, back to tanking
Year 4: you reach the playoff, but no real threat
Year 5: you can contend, but no guarantee for winning
  or your franchise player gets injured, so no winning, he will never be the same, so back to   tanking

The point is tanking will not guarantee anything. Spurs, Mavs, Lakers, the best teams of the last decade did not tanked in the last ten year, even when people said they are done, they should trade their best player, they did not. Duncan, Dirk, Kobe all win championship after some rough stretches, while they past 30.
Charlotte and Sacramento were horrible in the last 10 years. Every year picked high. They never found their franchise player.

Plus Boston is not a cheap team. They are capable spending big money. Why tank like a small market team and be a joke for years?

I agree with almost all of this, but it falls on deaf ears to most of the pro tankers. They just ignore it, and then a few days later start another thread about the pit falls of being a "treadmill team". You know, a treadmill team...like Houston was a few years ago, and Indiana, before they rose to the top of the league the last few seasons.
I have no problem agreeing with most of this too, but what's the point since Ainge pulled the trigger a year and a half ago? Whether we like it or not we are a milder version of Philly. Will it work? I don't know, but as a fan all I can do is hope Ainge knows what he's doing.

Well, I mostly object to blowing the team up and hoping to get Towns or Okafor as being the only possible route. The OP seems to suggest that. I think it's possible to be a 31 win team or whatever, and with our many picks etc build the team gradually either through developing players or trading for a vet(s). I bristle at the idea of dumping Rondo and Green for whatever they can get solely to bottom out....

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2014, 09:40:32 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Tanking is not the answer. I tell you how tanking really works:
Year 1: you dump your talented players
Year 2: you are lucky and get a a franchise player
  or not, back to tanking
Year 3: you are in the lottery againg, maturing process
Year 4: you reach the playoff, but no real threat
Year 5: you can contend, but no guarantee for winning
  or your franchise player gets injured, so no winning, he will never be the same, so back to   tanking

The point is tanking will not guarantee anything. Spurs, Mavs, Lakers, the best teams of the last decade did not tanked in the last ten year, even when people said they are done, they should trade their best player, they did not. Duncan, Dirk, Kobe all win championship after some rough stretches, while they past 30.
Charlotte and Sacramento were horrible in the last 10 years. Every year picked high. They never found their franchise player.

Plus Boston is not a cheap team. They are capable spending big money. Why tank like a small market team and be a joke for years?

I agree with almost all of this, but it falls on deaf ears to most of the pro tankers. They just ignore it, and then a few days later start another thread about the pit falls of being a "treadmill team". You know, a treadmill team...like Houston was a few years ago, and Indiana, before they rose to the top of the league the last few seasons.
I have no problem agreeing with most of this too, but what's the point since Ainge pulled the trigger a year and a half ago? Whether we like it or not we are a milder version of Philly. Will it work? I don't know, but as a fan all I can do is hope Ainge knows what he's doing.

Well, I mostly object to blowing the team up and hoping to get Towns or Okafor as being the only possible route. The OP seems to suggest that. I think it's possible to be a 31 win team or whatever, and with our many picks etc build the team gradually either through developing players or trading for a vet(s). I bristle at the idea of dumping Rondo and Green for whatever they can get solely to bottom out....
I think we agree. IMO if RR leaves it will be bcs he wanted to. I agree that in case he wants to stay, it would be crazy if Ainge said No. About Green, it all depends on what the other side(s) has to offer. I certainly would not dump  him just for bottoming out. No one in his right mind would.