Author Topic: Stood behind this team too long!!!  (Read 15456 times)

Re: Stood behind this team too long!!!
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2014, 08:25:24 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
While this loss didn't leave me with a good feeling I'm not ready to say that we should trade away Rondo, and Green yet.

Our schedule is considerably easier in December, if we are still performing as poorly at the end of December then I will be calling for Rondo and Green to be moved, but not just yet.

Hopefully we can get good assets if we move Rondo and Green. Maybe those two aren't performing as well as you would like but replacing their minutes with Pressey and Turner playing starters minutes are going to make things much much worse.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2014, 08:31:59 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
While this loss didn't leave me with a good feeling I'm not ready to say that we should trade away Rondo, and Green yet.

Our schedule is considerably easier in December, if we are still performing as poorly at the end of December then I will be calling for Rondo and Green to be moved, but not just yet.

Hopefully we can get good assets if we move Rondo and Green. Maybe those two aren't performing as well as you would like but replacing their minutes with Pressey and Turner playing starters minutes are going to make things much much worse.

I would be down for trading Green and Bass and falling deeper into the lottery , but trading Rondo makes no sense to me unless we are getting a good return . McLemore and filler has been the best offer I have heard from the rumors, and I am not trading him for that mediocre package .

You have to realize, if we trade Rondo, we are pretty much guaranteed to be rebuilding for the next 3-5 years. We won't be able to sign any major free agents because no all-star caliber player is going to sign with a rebuilding team . 

Now if we trade green and Bass and fall into a top 5 pick our core would be

Top 5 pick
Rondo
Smart
Sully
KO
Bradley

That is a lot more attractive core for an all-star caliber player to join as a free agent . Add the # 5 pick with maybe a pick or 2 more out of the bundle , and you can possibly acquire a 3rd star to add to Rondo and another max player .

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2014, 08:45:03 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

I would be down for trading Green and Bass and falling deeper into the lottery , but trading Rondo makes no sense to me unless we are getting a good return . McLemore and filler has been the best offer I have heard from the rumors, and I am not trading him for that mediocre package .

You have to realize, if we trade Rondo, we are pretty much guaranteed to be rebuilding for the next 3-5 years. We won't be able to sign any major free agents because no all-star caliber player is going to sign with a rebuilding team . 

Now if we trade green and Bass and fall into a top 5 pick our core would be

Top 5 pick
Rondo
Smart
Sully
KO
Bradley

That is a lot more attractive core for an all-star caliber player to join as a free agent . Add the # 5 pick with maybe a pick or 2 more out of the bundle , and you can possibly acquire a 3rd star to add to Rondo and another max player .
I agree, I am only moving Rondo for a quality package. I wouldn't trade Bass, Green or Rondo unless we are getting fair value.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2014, 10:16:37 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I am just tired of the losing and it's gotten to the point where I don't even care who stays and who goes.

I just want to win and that's it.

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2014, 10:52:24 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Another dismal 11 point 4th quarter.  but what the heck, at least we got to see Rondo throw away another game with his Harlem Globe Trotter tricks that haven't worked for years. I used to defend this guy but when it comes down to the nitty gritty Rondo does nothing but throw passes away or take shots he forgot how to make years ago!!! Rondo does not fit with this group and at this point I would definitley trade him for what we need to round this team into what it should be.

I think the biggest question I have revolves around the bolded statement: Is this team, minus Rondo, really the type of team we want/the type of team that can win a championship?

If it is, then Rondo should be traded and we should work on improving the team as its currently constructed.  But if the plan is to build a team that can compete, what does it matter if our best player doesn't fit in with the current team?  The team should be built by getting great players and adding role players around them, not trading away the team's talent because they don't fit in with the role players.

That said, if trading Rondo would get us a better player, Danny should jump at it, but that's just not the case right now
I'm bitter.

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2014, 10:56:25 PM »

Offline Jesus Shuttlesworth #20

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 28
Then bail on the team, unlike us real fans who stand behind our team no matter what, you can bail, not watch the games or blog about how you are not a loyal fan, everyone wins!

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2014, 12:35:08 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
I find it amusing when folks mention that Rondo is "flawed" as an indictment against him.  Really?  He's flawed?

Are there any human beings--even professional athletes--who are without flaws?  Is getting a flawless basketball player on the Celtics the only acceptable way for this franchise to move forward?

Good luck with that, everyone.

I'm going to keep rooting for the flawed players on this team to succeed and help the team scrape together some wins in the meantime. 

I'm sure the perfect player will be along soon enough as long as we keep losing hard enough.

Also, I'm completely flawless.

Yeah, you and the Pope, huh... ;)

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2014, 01:54:02 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I've stood behind this team a long time, myself...since 1981, to be exact. I became a fan because of some tall kid from French Lick that stood out amongst his peers and competed with the best...and at times WAS the best.

I've stood by this team during the Lean Years. To the chronic complainers, research Lean Years. I don't think it gets much worse than that. To lose a heartbreaker like Bias...then get a talent like Lewis...only to have tragedy strike once again.

People say Bias was going to be special....well, Reggie WAS special, period:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni7t4swtdYw

To see the Big Three age, without Bias and then Lewis...that was TOUGH. To see the Lean Years begin...was tough.

What we see now? What we are seeing is Danny's Plan in action...some of you all won't ever experience a Lean Years.

What we are seeing now, even with the losing, is Danny setting up this team to compete for playoffs and Banners in the near - not far - future.

Perhaps some of us SHOULD experience a Lean Years...it would probably make better fans. Too bad you won't see it with this team and that is a GREAT thing...I think.

Even though Rondo is the best player on this team he should NOT shoulder the burden of the blame. Rondo is, despite the over-analysis of his game...despite his flaws - the Future.

I hope we continue to be patient and let Danny and Coach Stevens do their work.

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2014, 02:37:09 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I agree that Rondo doesn't fit with this team. However, he does fit with the team we are trying to build.

Best case scenario is we package Bass and Green for the future (more picks?!) and hope Rondo is patient enough to stay.

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2014, 02:52:25 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I've stood behind this team a long time, myself...since 1981, to be exact. I became a fan because of some tall kid from French Lick that stood out amongst his peers and competed with the best...and at times WAS the best.

I've stood by this team during the Lean Years. To the chronic complainers, research Lean Years. I don't think it gets much worse than that. To lose a heartbreaker like Bias...then get a talent like Lewis...only to have tragedy strike once again.

People say Bias was going to be special....well, Reggie WAS special, period:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni7t4swtdYw

To see the Big Three age, without Bias and then Lewis...that was TOUGH. To see the Lean Years begin...was tough.

What we see now? What we are seeing is Danny's Plan in action...some of you all won't ever experience a Lean Years.

What we are seeing now, even with the losing, is Danny setting up this team to compete for playoffs and Banners in the near - not far - future.

Perhaps some of us SHOULD experience a Lean Years...it would probably make better fans. Too bad you won't see it with this team and that is a GREAT thing...I think.

Even though Rondo is the best player on this team he should NOT shoulder the burden of the blame. Rondo is, despite the over-analysis of his game...despite his flaws - the Future.

I hope we continue to be patient and let Danny and Coach Stevens do their work.

Agree 100% TP.
Rondo's proven his worth in the biggest moments.
He's on a team that's loaded with scrubs or role players. We've seen the results when you put him with some good, solid veterans and some solid three point shooting to stretch the floor. We've seen the ease at which he creates shots and opportunities that suit their strengths and preferences.
Do any of these critics really believe we get to the ECF in 2012 without Rondo? Or we take the Lakers to 7 games in 2010 with KG on one leg without Rondo?

Get it through your skull:
Rondo's team mates are NBA role players. He's clearly the only guy close to being an All Star on this squad.
Hopefully one or two of his current team mates advance their games to his level at some stage- but currently his best team mate is Jeff Green aka Uncle Snooze.
What do you expect from this roster? Would Chris Paul or Steph Curry give us any more wins? How would they look playing next to Olynyk, Avery Bradley, Bass and Jeff green?

Our team has three starting caliber NBA players -Green, Sully and Rondo.
Our team has one starting caliber NBA championship team player and that's Rondo.

If you'd rather wait 5 years and hope that we draft the next KG whilst trading away Rondo that's fine- but understand that by trading Rondo you are very likely closing the window on a Celtics championship contender for the 5-6 years AT LEAST.

He's not the go to guy at the end of the game but he's a VITAL piece in a Celtics championship team in the next 5 years. 
I don't believe he's worth max money either, but I do believe he's a top 3 player on a championship team and those are extremely hard to come by. We've got him now so why give him away after waiting so long for the 2015 offseason
and the free agents that we might be able to put around Rondo that will be potentially available?

I 100% guarantee that all of you calling for a Rondo trade now, will be pulling your hair out after just 2-3 seasons of horrific draft rebuilding and disappointment. 
Can you just imagine how poor this team would be offensively right now with no Rondo?
Do you honestly believe we'd be better than the Lakers are right now? We'd be fighting Philly for the number one pick with Smart, Sully, James Young, Olynyk and some mid/late first round picks as our great hope for the next 5 years. How delightful!

Take a deep breath and wait for this summer. Most of us who supported last year's and this year's front office tanking have only done so because we've understood how important these picks and assets will be for getting Rondo an All Star team mate in the 2015 offseason. It's what Danny's been waiting for since Shaq's foot went bad in 2010-11 and what he's been hauling all these picks and creating these rosters with horrid defensive holes and poor shooting - so we have as much as possible when the time comes to attain a game changing big man and lure a top 15 NBA player who's disgruntled. He tried with Love, but timing and luck weren't on our side. But eventually we will break through and attain a top 10 NBA player. He may be on our team in Smart. He may come via free agency like Marc Gasol- If we get really lucky we may get Jahlil Okafur this upcoming draft while keeping Rondo and signing a top free agent.

Imagine a line up of something crazy like

Rondo
Smart
James Young
Jahlil Okafur
Roy Hibbert

There is a method to this madness, no matter how frustrating it can be sometimes.
Rondo is playing with young kids and role players- and the most likely scenario in 2-3 years time is that he's a Celtic with one or two of the current roster members still around while a real nba contender adds pieces to him and 2 other stars.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 03:58:12 AM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2014, 02:54:22 AM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72
With that lineup , their will be no shortage of bricks.

That team would miss so many point blank layups, so many three pointers, so many jumpers, so much hesitation misses.

« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2014, 03:50:43 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

That team would miss so many point blank layups, so many three pointers, so many jumpers, so much hesitation misses.

Lovely, you're so anti Rondo that you'd criticize any line up that includes him.
give us your starting 5 genius, how do you make the Celtics a contender.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2014, 05:08:31 AM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 162
  • Green 18!
For what it's worth: In the 2010 playoffs and Finals, it was just crazy at what rate Rondo was able to initiate and finish good plays. You could even bet that he would be involved in scoring two points on every possesion he touched the ball and win 90 % of the time. That is gone now, I hope it comes back though.

« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2014, 06:39:08 AM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72

Lovely, you're so anti Rondo that you'd criticize any line up that includes him.
give us your starting 5 genius, how do you make the Celtics a contender.

im not anti rondo.

« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2014, 09:39:06 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Why?

Really it is quite simple....in the NBA in the 4th quarter, your best player has the ball in his hands and is expected to make plays and shots.

If you are going to say that Rondo is our best player, then you also should expect him to be THAT GUY.  And he can't be THAT GUY because he CAN'T SHOOT.

More importantly, in the 4th quarter, teams that win have guys that can draw fouls and get to the line.  Our best player, who always has the ball, not only doesn't get to the line but when he does, shoots FTs worse than a bad high school player.

Being 30% from the line is inexcusable.  Sorry.  And that is KILLLING  this team.

There are many different problems that are KILLING this team. Rondo from the line is just one of them.

How many threads have been lamenting our lack of a rim protector? Pretty much everyone agrees that this team doesn't have an acceptable starting center.

Rondo played well in the Portland game, but Bradley,Sullinger, and Green were a collective 5-21 from 3 point land. Bradley and Sullinger have both been very inconsistent from deep in the early going.

Olynyk's been useless the last several games outside the 3rd quarter in Memphis. I wouldn't be surprised if he lost his starting spot to Bass who's outplayed him lately.

Any time Turner and Pressey come in and don't kill us, that's like found money.

Now Rondo isn't an ISO guy, and he was miserable in the 4th quarter today, but this practice of scapegoating player du jour after every loss has already gotten tired, and it's only November.
Spot on about Turner and Pressey. I cringe every time Pressey shots a 3. I think he missed 2 in a row in that fourth quarter. There has to be a better backup point guard available then what we have. The guy shoots 25 percent and not afraid to shoot crucial shots.