Author Topic: Gerald Wallace Article  (Read 5329 times)

Gerald Wallace Article
« on: November 26, 2014, 06:24:10 PM »

Offline KingofDaPlayazBall

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 13
http://themighty.com/2014/11/to-the-nba-player-who-didnt-see-my-sons-disability/

Gerald Wallace is not getting a lot of love on Celtics Blog because of his contract, but he deserves some credit for doing everything right.  He has every right to be disgruntled being a veteran on a rebuilding team and not getting minutes even through he probably deserves some.  He has been a  good leader in the locker room and always plays hard when called upon.

Re: Gerald Wallace Article
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 06:26:38 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84
I was really frustrated with his attitude last season, not anymore. Go Crash!

edit. And after I read this article I feel the same. Thank you Gerald.

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 07:13:35 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Every reason to be frustrated?
$10 million dollars a year?
Please.

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 07:19:57 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84
Please.

Like his 10m would've mattered?

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 07:34:04 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
Please.

Like his 10m would've mattered?

Agreed, haha
His 10m is irrelevant.

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 08:20:46 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I could force myself to be a nice guy and sit quietly on the bench for a few mil too. :-*

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 09:36:33 PM »

Offline KingofDaPlayazBall

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 13
Please.
I could force myself to be a nice guy and sit quietly on the bench for a few mil too. :-*

Any athlete and competitor would not be easily contempt with sitting on the bench, he can be happy with the 10mil but being in a bad situation is a different matter.  Broke bums on Celtics blog of course would easily accept sitting on a bench for 10mil, Gerald Wallace is a veteran who already earned a lot of money in his career.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 09:42:27 PM by KingofDaPlayazBall »

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 10:26:37 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I wouldn't do it for less than $5 million.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 12:05:30 AM »

Offline Johnny Mic

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7

Gerald Wallace is not getting a lot of love on Celtics Blog because of his contract, but he deserves some credit for doing everything right.  He has every right to be disgruntled being a veteran on a rebuilding team and not getting minutes even through he probably deserves some.  He has been a  good leader in the locker room and always plays hard when called upon.

I agree he's a real pro who bleeds grit, hustle, composure - all stuff needed among the young players.  Stevens should've gone to him earlier in the season to guard LeBron at the end of the game last month...instead of Rondo  ::)  We need mobile bigs and large guards to deal w/LeBron -- Crash would give LeBron such headaches.

...and that's if the trainers can get him right. Wallace has shown he can be a real difference maker at times, but the past couple of seasons he's been snakebitten by injuries.  While Crash might lose some minutes when Smart returns, maybe Stevens will find more ways to use Wallace as the season goes on, especially as he continues to get healthy.

Would you pay 10m a year for a 6'7" First Team NBA All Defensive guard avg 15+ a game?  You betcha.

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 12:54:32 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
Please.

Any athlete and competitor would not be easily contempt with sitting on the bench, he can be happy with the 10mil but being in a bad situation is a different matter.  Broke bums on Celtics blog of course would easily accept sitting on a bench for 10mil, Gerald Wallace is a veteran who already earned a lot of money in his career.

Wallace is a broken down has been who is afraid to shoot he ball and is milking the Celtics stockholders for millions of dollars a year.

Wallace is the one who accepted sitting on the bench for the Celtics.

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 08:22:54 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
lol, k, blame Wallace for being a professional and accepting his coach's decision to bench him.

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 10:43:34 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
lol, k, blame Wallace for being a professional and accepting his coach's decision to bench him.

Yea, it's rough to make $10 million a year sitting on the bench. Let's give him a medal.

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2014, 10:59:28 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

I agree he's a real pro who bleeds grit, hustle, composure - all stuff needed among the young players.  Stevens should've gone to him earlier in the season to guard LeBron at the end of the game last month...instead of Rondo  ::)  We need mobile bigs and large guards to deal w/LeBron -- Crash would give LeBron such headaches.

...and that's if the trainers can get him right. Wallace has shown he can be a real difference maker at times, but the past couple of seasons he's been snakebitten by injuries.  While Crash might lose some minutes when Smart returns, maybe Stevens will find more ways to use Wallace as the season goes on, especially as he continues to get healthy.

Would you pay 10m a year for a 6'7" First Team NBA All Defensive guard avg 15+ a game?  You betcha.
who wouldn't?

the rub, of course, is that the celtics are paying 10 million a year for a 6' 7" bench warmer who, over the last 3 seasons, is averaged 6+ points a game, 4+ rbds, and makes only 29% of his 3 pointers.

i like wallace's attitude, but his offensive game is toast.

next, why have wallace guard lebron, or anyone, for extended lengths of time? this year is about player development, wins are nice, but not the primary goal. by having wallace spend 30 minutes on lebron stevens would be reducing the time of the younger players. i agree with stevens' and ainge's master plan here.

final point, as i have said before, i do not blame wallace for making $10m/year. why would i blame a person for saying "yes" to a foolish nba owner who offers such a stupid contract? blame the brooklyn front office for offering such a silly sum of simoleons. wallace did nothing wrong in accepting the contract, so let's put this misdirected blame away.

P.S. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 11:12:18 AM by hwangjini_1 »
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2014, 12:03:56 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I understand perfectly that any person who has accomplished what Gerald Wallace has is going to be competitive and want to play and contribute under any circumstance.  It would be like if you were a manager at a company and then there was a reorganization and you were relegated to pion status.  That would be hard.

I think it says something unflattering about today's athletes when it is unusual or praiseworthy when someone actually handles a tough situation in the proper, professional manner as Wallace is.  It is kind of a reverse praise to say he is not being a baby about it.

This is the downside of guaranteed contracts.  The unions in this sport and all the others (except football where he would be cut and get a chance to start over) would have a fit at even the suggestion of anything different but there is a downside for the players too in some cases (such as this one).  Gerald would actually be better off if he could be cut or bought out and had a chance to just play again somewhere that he would actually be used.

I am not sure if he would choose that or not but right now, he doesn't have the option to even choose to get out.  He is as trapped by the contract as the Celtics are.

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2014, 12:15:30 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

Yea, it's rough to make $10 million a year sitting on the bench. Let's give him a medal.

I wonder why it is that when someone pays a compliment to someone, in other people's eyes that means that they want to give the person a medal.  I don't think anyone is talking about a medal or an award.   I don't think anyone said he's worth $10M.  Posters are simply appreciating his effort and attitude. 

When you call someone out on having a bad attitude the previous season, and then they seem to be giving all they have the next season, I think it's OK to say "nice goin'".   That's all.  No medal.  People who make a lot of money should be working hard, but it's OK to appreciate hard work even when it's an expectation.  I'd expect you to hold the door open for me if I follow you into a building -- and when you do, I'll still say "thanks".