Author Topic: Sixers want Okafor?  (Read 6156 times)

Sixers want Okafor?
« on: November 26, 2014, 03:05:51 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
I was just reading online somewhere (can't seem to get back to the link) that the Sixers main draft target will be Okafor, with Towns being the next choice. If they're able to get one of the two, they plan on moving either Noel or Embiid this summer sometime.

Does this make sense to anyone else? I understand drafting the best player available, but when you already have what looks to be two franchise centers, why want another when there will be plenty other spots of need? I'm not a fan at all of playing Noel at the 4, and I highly doubt that Okafor or Embiid either can play the 4. From my understanding, the Mudiay kid will be a future stud, and there are several wings that look to have pretty high ceilings. They were already trying to dump MCW this summer, so why not go for Mudiay instead of Okafor when you're already stacked at that position?

That being said, I think our team is too good to have any shot at Towns or Okafor, but we might be able to get in the range of Cauley-Stein.  If the Sixers interest in Okafor is true and they land him, would you rather have one of Noel or Embiid or Cauley-Stein?  And what would we have to give up for one of the two?

Re: Sixers want Okafor?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 03:17:04 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Its seems early to speculate who they will target but I can see the logic behind it. Center is the highest value position in the NBA. A team like the Cs would give up alot for a real center. With Noel and Embiid both having health issues it also makes sense to sell fast. I wouldn't be shocked if the 76ers tank their way to #1 draft Okafor then trade Noel on draft night for another high pick and a young player (would the Cs say no to KO and say the #10 pick for Noel?). Then play out 2015-16 season with Okafor and Embiid. Then trade the lesser of the two the following year. Its a real long term plan but in the end they should have alot of talent. But no winning culture.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 03:27:23 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
Its seems early to speculate who they will target but I can see the logic behind it. Center is the highest value position in the NBA. A team like the Cs would give up alot for a real center. With Noel and Embiid both having health issues it also makes sense to sell fast. I wouldn't be shocked if the 76ers tank their way to #1 draft Okafor then trade Noel on draft night for another high pick and a young player (would the Cs say no to KO and say the #10 pick for Noel?). Then play out 2015-16 season with Okafor and Embiid. Then trade the lesser of the two the following year. Its a real long term plan but in the end they should have alot of talent. But no winning culture.

That's an extremely long-term plan lol There's alot of gambling in that, too. I would tend to think that they'd be more willing to move Embiid, because Noel has a much higher probability of working at the 4, though it's still a small chance. Also, Embiid still has his health concerns.

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 03:42:32 PM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
If I was their GM and got the first pick maybe I'd trade this first pick for a 3rd or 4th pick to get Kelly Oubre, and another top 10 pick, to get Hezonja.

Then you have:
MCW
Hezonja
Oubre
Noel
Embiid

So later you trade MCW to get another young point guard.
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 03:46:53 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

That's an extremely long-term plan lol There's alot of gambling in that, too. I would tend to think that they'd be more willing to move Embiid, because Noel has a much higher probability of working at the 4, though it's still a small chance. Also, Embiid still has his health concerns.
The problem with moving Embiid this summer is that he will likely not play at all this year and thus no team is going to have any idea what type of player he is.  The Sixers also have the rights to Saric who certainly can play the 4.  I think they hope Noel develops pretty well this year then they trade him for a top 10 pick in the draft next summer to add a wing. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 03:51:42 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
This makes plenty of sense to me.  Okafor appears to be a game changer and early indications are that Noel may never be.  Embiid still holds a ton of promise.  I'd sell Noel to anybody who still believes and will offer a premium return.

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 03:52:16 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199

The problem with moving Embiid this summer is that he will likely not play at all this year and thus no team is going to have any idea what type of player he is.  The Sixers also have the rights to Saric who certainly can play the 4.  I think they hope Noel develops pretty well this year then they trade him for a top 10 pick in the draft next summer to add a wing.
I think Embiid would still have buyers lining up, sight unseen.

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 03:53:05 PM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
Would Philly draft someone who might hurt their chances for tanking another season, though? :)

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 03:54:07 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
This whole thread reads to me, "how can we trade for Noel or Embiid as soon as possible?". I realize that isn't what you are saying - just what I am hoping. Imagine being able to say that we walked away from this past draft with Embiid and Smart - man, that would be awesome.

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 03:54:52 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I think Embiid is the keeper. Think they will trade Noel. Doubt they draft another center.

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 03:59:08 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I was just reading online somewhere (can't seem to get back to the link) that the Sixers main draft target will be Okafor, with Towns being the next choice. If they're able to get one of the two, they plan on moving either Noel or Embiid this summer sometime.

Does this make sense to anyone else? I understand drafting the best player available, but when you already have what looks to be two franchise centers, why want another when there will be plenty other spots of need? I'm not a fan at all of playing Noel at the 4, and I highly doubt that Okafor or Embiid either can play the 4. From my understanding, the Mudiay kid will be a future stud, and there are several wings that look to have pretty high ceilings. They were already trying to dump MCW this summer, so why not go for Mudiay instead of Okafor when you're already stacked at that position?

That being said, I think our team is too good to have any shot at Towns or Okafor, but we might be able to get in the range of Cauley-Stein.  If the Sixers interest in Okafor is true and they land him, would you rather have one of Noel or Embiid or Cauley-Stein?  And what would we have to give up for one of the two?

Noel looks like a franchise center so far?

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 04:30:42 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Okafor has a good chance to be better than either Embiid or Noel.  always draft BPA and trade the surplus if needed.  I could see Philly offering Noel for a top 5 pick and young player in this draft.   Noel would be going into his 3rd year so he's closer to being out from under their control.  not to mention he projects to be the lesser of those 3 players

Wouldn't be surprised to see if they can flip Embiid or Okafor the following year for a top 5 pick and another young player. 

they could wind up with
MCW, Okafor, 2 young players with talent/upside and 2 top 5 picks in 2 years not to mention their pick that following draft which would figure to be another lottery pick. 

provided their front office drafts/trades well and their young players don't get so sick of losing that they jump ship ASAP (I think some will), they could develop into a pretty decent team.  I wouldn't advocate their rebuild strategy though because they have to get lucky with their deals and lottery slots

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2014, 04:31:54 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
That is hilarious.

Tank yesterday!
Tank tomorrow!
Tank forever!

Mike

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2014, 06:07:05 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84
Can MCW play shooting guard? If he can (he has the size), wouldn't it be obvious to draft Mudiay?

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2014, 06:11:02 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Can MCW play shooting guard? If he can (he has the size), wouldn't it be obvious to draft Mudiay?

???

MCW has terrible shooting mechanics, so no.

Drafting Mudiay= bye bye MCW.

"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different