Author Topic: Pelicans trade idea  (Read 3822 times)

Pelicans trade idea
« on: November 26, 2014, 02:52:04 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Let me preface that I'm not in love with this trade. If the Cs future (next season) includes Rondo, AB and Smart all playing 25+ minutes then this trade may not be worth the hassle. I especially like the deal if Rondo is moved. With that said

Cs trade: Thorton and Wallace

Pelicans trade: Gordon and (Ajinca or Withey)

Why for Pelicans: they want to make the playoffs if Gordon has surgery and is out 3+ months then he doesn't help them. Thorton and Wallace could both step in a play minutes for them. Last game they started Darius Morris and played him 14min, Rivers came off the bench and played 27minutes. Thorton and Wallace would be upgrades at both positions.

Why for Celtics: Gordon has the same contract length as wallace but at a terrible 15mill next season, this is 5 mill more then wallace but at least he is still young and has talent. If Rondo isn't with the Cs next season Gordon may find himself in a great role as the Cs 6th man. This trade makes sense if Gordon has surgery because his absence will leave plenty of minutes for Smart and Turner off the bench. The addition of Ajinca of Withey would give the Cs the long defensive big they are lacking. This could especially work out well if Bass is moved as either of them would be nice 15min off the bench options.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Pelicans trade idea
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 03:02:28 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Let me preface that I'm not in love with this trade. If the Cs future (next season) includes Rondo, AB and Smart all playing 25+ minutes then this trade may not be worth the hassle. I especially like the deal if Rondo is moved. With that said

Cs trade: Thorton and Wallace

Pelicans trade: Gordon and (Ajinca or Withey)

Why for Pelicans: they want to make the playoffs if Gordon has surgery and is out 3+ months then he doesn't help them. Thorton and Wallace could both step in a play minutes for them. Last game they started Darius Morris and played him 14min, Rivers came off the bench and played 27minutes. Thorton and Wallace would be upgrades at both positions.

Why for Celtics: Gordon has the same contract length as wallace but at a terrible 15mill next season, this is 5 mill more then wallace but at least he is still young and has talent. If Rondo isn't with the Cs next season Gordon may find himself in a great role as the Cs 6th man. This trade makes sense if Gordon has surgery because his absence will leave plenty of minutes for Smart and Turner off the bench. The addition of Ajinca of Withey would give the Cs the long defensive big they are lacking. This could especially work out well if Bass is moved as either of them would be nice 15min off the bench options.

No thanks.. Gordon has another surgery? Ajinca is meh.. 15 million dollar screws us over next year... I was huge on Gordon, but he has definitely earned the injury prone label... He no longer can stay on the court... Stay far away from him.. Plus Gordon is toxic, because he declared he deserves to start, and was granted that request; probably to increase his trade value..

9.5 PPG, 34% 3p, and 2.1 AST with terrible RPG???? No!

People get mad at AB, imagine how frustrated we would be with a worse defender and clone of AB.

We should get 2 picks our way for Ainge to even think about it..
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 03:05:16 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
The only realistic NO trade worth considering from either side is Holiday and filler for Rondo.  Boston gets a cost-controlled veteran point guard to ride through the rebuilding process and either a pick or someone like Austin Rivers and NO gets a MUCH better facilitator for their offensive weapons.

Mike

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 03:57:40 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I have come to the conclusion that I will take just about anybody who is signed through 2016 for Wallace. I realize Gordon may not bring much of anything to the table since he is injured, but there is still a tad bit of upside left which is more than we can say for Wallace.

This isn't to say couldn't be useful or hasn't been a good soldier - he just doesn't do much for our rebuilding team, especially with two very deserving players in front of him at the SF position.

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 04:22:07 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
nothing of value for the C's in this deal.  I actually like Thornton more than Gordon at this point so we're losing the talent and financial exchange.  lousy deal.

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 04:25:27 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Do not like Gordon.  He overachieved for a time and played himself into a giant contract.  Good for him.  Wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 04:40:18 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Eric Gordon's inability to resurrect his fledgling career ends my interest in him. He's done.

Injury prone bench guard. 

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 04:35:15 PM »

Offline bostonsportsforlife

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
NO GORDON ON THE CELTICS

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 05:19:17 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If Wallace isn't traded and plays out his contract as a Celtic, I can see him being a guy who would be willing to take a bench role for reasonable money in Boston if the team is a decent bet for the playoffs vs. taking a similar role/contract on another playoff team.  I really can't see someone like Gordon doing that and I don't see a healthy Gordon as a guy I want displacing Bradley in the starting lineup.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 06:38:47 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
No. Even at 10 miliion, Wallace is productive in few minutes he was given. Plus he is a good mentor for this young team. If Joel Anthony is still here, I may do it but Gordon's production at that price is much worse than Wallace's.

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 07:46:31 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
I have come to the conclusion that I will take just about anybody who is signed through 2016 for Wallace. I realize Gordon may not bring much of anything to the table since he is injured, but there is still a tad bit of upside left which is more than we can say for Wallace.

This isn't to say couldn't be useful or hasn't been a good soldier - he just doesn't do much for our rebuilding team, especially with two very deserving players in front of him at the SF position.

They both have two years left so what's the point? It's MORE money for a guy who would see just as many minutes as Wallace. I'd rather have the extra 5 mil and a guy like wallace who will hustle for the few minutes he plays.

We just have to accept his contract as the only real downside of the Pierce/KG trade. Even with it, we still fleeced the nets.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 07:40:45 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
interesting point to add to this,

Pelicans have just waived Morris and Young. NBAINSIDER's Alex Kennedy is reporting that their are significant trade talents out of NO. Of course no mention of the celtics or any idea what the talents are about.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 07:57:58 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

I'm not gonna lie. I would much rather have Wallace on my roster than Gordon regardless of if I was rebuilding or contending.

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 08:28:12 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

Pelicans have just waived Morris and Young. NBAINSIDER's Alex Kennedy is reporting that their are significant trade talents out of NO. Of course no mention of the celtics or any idea what the talents are about.

Months after authorities dropped domestic assault charges against him, free agent forward Dante Cunningham could be returning to the NBA, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Cunningham, a 6-foot-8 forward, worked out for the New Orleans Pelicans over the weekend and the franchise is strongly consider signing him soon, sources said.

via Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2014, 08:42:44 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

Months after authorities dropped domestic assault charges against him, free agent forward Dante Cunningham could be returning to the NBA, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Cunningham, a 6-foot-8 forward, worked out for the New Orleans Pelicans over the weekend and the franchise is strongly consider signing him soon, sources said.

via Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports

I also saw this, still leaves one roster spot open. Should be interesting to see what they do.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet