Author Topic: rushing smart- isn't smart  (Read 2851 times)

rushing smart- isn't smart
« on: November 26, 2014, 08:58:16 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
marcus said it will be a very long time before 100%--rushing a rookie who gives 110% and lives off lateral movement is going to put him at a disadvantage and screw up his shooting--who needs a slowed down rookie rushed back--isn't he  going through enough adjustments-are you all saying he's invaluable already as a rookie-i think coming back too early and favoring  my ankle caused my knee to go down the road-

Re: rushing smart- isn't smart
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 09:33:31 AM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
Who told you their rushing him?? Inside source?? CBer?

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 10:00:01 AM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
As outsiders we all think we know whats best.   Rushing a player back is never the best idea.   So I'm sure they have thought of that.   If a player passes all the tests (eye test/physical test) and the he wants to play. 

Diggles

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 10:07:40 AM »

• Jayson Tatum
Look at Brandon Roy.. .Blazers were thirsty to throw him out in the fire.. They told them only play him 20 minutes.. they throw him in for 40+ in his magical playoff run while he came back days early..

the short term seems ok but long term issues will hurt life

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 11:14:39 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Look at Brandon Roy.. .Blazers were thirsty to throw him out in the fire.. They told them only play him 20 minutes.. they throw him in for 40+ in his magical playoff run while he came back days early..

Roy's knees were already shot.  I don't think those minutes matter in the big picture.

If Smart isn't at an increased risk of respraining his ankle and he is able to help the team, I say let him play.  You must approve of the Derrick Rose "I am in no pain but I wasn't moving like I wanted to" method of sitting a player.

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 11:52:01 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
As outsiders we all think we know whats best.   Rushing a player back is never the best idea.   So I'm sure they have thought of that.   If a player passes all the tests (eye test/physical test) and the he wants to play.

Well, I guess we should all trust every team will make the absolute correct decision every time since we're just fans and we don't know what's going on "inside."

The whole point of sports message boards is to offer your opinion on things that you couldn't possibly have all the insider info on. Otherwise, every debate would end with, "Well, I'm sure the organization has thought of that."

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 12:01:01 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Roy's knees were already shot.  I don't think those minutes matter in the big picture.

If Smart isn't at an increased risk of respraining his ankle and he is able to help the team, I say let him play.  You must approve of the Derrick Rose "I am in no pain but I wasn't moving like I wanted to" method of sitting a player.

What's wrong with sitting? Roy's one example, but Penny Hardaway's another -- he definitely came back too fast after his first knee injury.

Anecdotally, I don't know if there's anything worse than respraining an ankle when it hasn't healed yet. That really sucks.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 12:15:54 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald

What's wrong with sitting? Roy's one example, but Penny Hardaway's another -- he definitely came back too fast after his first knee injury.

Anecdotally, I don't know if there's anything worse than respraining an ankle when it hasn't healed yet. That really sucks.
Nothing is wrong with it but if he is ready, he is ready.  If he feels ok and is going hard in practice anyway then he may as well do that in a game.  If he is holding back in practice then I'd have him sit out some more games.

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 12:21:53 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

PP played through ankle injuries that probably should have kept him off the court when he was a rookie. His knees seem to have survived that.

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 12:24:50 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

PP played through ankle injuries that probably should have kept him off the court when he was a rookie. His knees seem to have survived that.

Genetics definitely play a big part, that's for sure.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 12:42:28 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Man am I excited to see Smart come back. Hopefully they can put a defensive effort like they had against Portland together with the offense that we saw to start the year.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 12:54:26 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Wait wait wait wait.... you guys realize when he says he won't be "100% for a long time" that doesn't necessarily mean medical, right?  I take that as meaning getting his rhythm back, conditioning, and things of that nature.  If he's medically cleared to play, then he's good to go. They're not going to send him out there if his ankle is still F'ed up. It's not like this is the playoffs or the Finals or anything.

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2014, 01:04:48 PM »

• Jayson Tatum
Wait wait wait wait.... you guys realize when he says he won't be "100% for a long time" that doesn't necessarily mean medical, right?  I take that as meaning getting his rhythm back, conditioning, and things of that nature.  If he's medically cleared to play, then he's good to go. They're not going to send him out there if his ankle is still F'ed up. It's not like this is the playoffs or the Finals or anything.

He's a rookie in a non playoff contention (more than likely) season.. He might even be the starting PG next year.. Im pretty sure they're going to bring him along slowly. The ankle sprain was pretty scary..

But you are right, he needs to blow the rust off in practice, conditioning and mentally prepared to believe his ankle will never take a hit like that again

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2014, 06:44:30 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
relieved that smart is out for bulls game--home court with press and fans so  for marcus to pull himself out of practice- that says it all-he is nowhere near ready-mchale,bird and pierce played through some pain but this is early season and he is a rookie that needs to play at close to 100% to be effective-

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2014, 07:00:16 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald

It's always a good thing when knees survive ankle injuries ;)