3 (7.7%)
6-10
21 (53.8%)
11-15
4 (10.3%)
15 or more
6 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author Topic: Futility Watch: 76ers  (Read 14613 times)

Re: Futility Watch: 76ers
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2015, 03:10:31 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

The Sixers are pitiful on offense but surprisingly not altogether horrible on defense.  It will be hilarious if they wind up with the 3rd worst record and then get bumped down to the 4th or 5th pick in the draft.

Mike

I think this is a sneaky good point. Nerlens Noel is improving noticeably, and we all know that he has the potential to be a really elite defensive anchor. He sat out against the Knicks because of illness. Robert Covington also looks like a real-live actual NBA player.

I'm no doctor, but I'd say relapses for Noel are likely on January 30 and February 6 when the T-wolves and the Celtics come to town, respectively. After that, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a hamstring or ankle sprain issue pop up in mid-March when they have games against the Nets, Celtics, Knicks, and Lakers.

I also don't like Covington's chances to stay healthy in Philadelpha this season... either he gets traded or he catches Pennsylvania fever.

Sorry I don't know how many 76ers games you have watched (you have to have league pass) but noels is definitely not a difference maker in them getting wins at this stage in his career. It is debatable whether he is going to be more than a serviceable big.

He's already very advanced defensively for a rookie. He's one of the big reasons the Sixers have about a league average defense.

Good point and your name made me smile. Enjoy the first TP. Baaaarb!

« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2015, 05:31:58 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
Two wins and a pretty competitive game against the Hawks last night in the last 3. They even had the lead with about 2 mins left.

As terrible as the Sixers were at the start of the year they are a heck of a lot better than people realize now. They still suck, but it's much more of a garden variety of bottom 5 sucking than a historically awful once in a generation type of sucking.

Except for the offense, it's still probably the worst we'll ever see.

« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2015, 07:17:30 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Noel is making a greater difference as he gets playing experience

« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2015, 08:29:34 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Sixers are on their way to a reasonable chance of building a great team. Isn't as sure a rebuild as the Lakers will have when the FAs start coming their way, but for a cold-weather, not prized FA destination, the Sixers are doing all they can to build a team through the draft.  They are all-in and I'd rather be in their shoes than the Celtics'.

« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2015, 08:50:06 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
The Philadelphia Seventy Stinkers.

A new standard of putrid.

They (Hinkie) may be "playing within the rules", but you can't tell me that they're not hurting the NBA product, so under that standard the owners should be able to take action.

They won't, but they should.

Right now they're mainly hurting their own product.  If the losing gets to a point that it becomes a major running story, then it might start to hurt the NBA product, and that's when you might see rumblings about taking real action.

After watching the Seventy Stinkers NCAA-level play in the first half, I think they are hurting the league product.

Silver will never take action on this, but it's sad. I would be interested to see actual attendance for Stinker games across the league.

Mannix called them the Washington Generals....he was being kind

« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2015, 04:14:35 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
The Philadelphia Seventy Stinkers.

A new standard of putrid.

They (Hinkie) may be "playing within the rules", but you can't tell me that they're not hurting the NBA product, so under that standard the owners should be able to take action.

They won't, but they should.

Right now they're mainly hurting their own product.  If the losing gets to a point that it becomes a major running story, then it might start to hurt the NBA product, and that's when you might see rumblings about taking real action.

After watching the Seventy Stinkers NCAA-level play in the first half, I think they are hurting the league product.

Silver will never take action on this, but it's sad. I would be interested to see actual attendance for Stinker games across the league.

Mannix called them the Washington Generals....he was being kind

So 18 teams in the NBA play worse defense than an NCAA team? It hilarious how detached this absurd narrative is from the real world.