3 (7.7%)
6-10
21 (53.8%)
11-15
4 (10.3%)
15 or more
6 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author Topic: Futility Watch: 76ers  (Read 14634 times)

Re: Futility Watch: 76ers
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2014, 03:28:17 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
His poor defensive effort and ball-watching started well before age would excuse it. Though he was always trying to "win" and mean mug after the big shot I guess.
Kobe Bryant was all-defense 2nd team in his age 33 season, for whatever it's worth.
Nothing. He was not a good defender that season, or during many of his prior all defense selections. Jeff Van Gundy pointed it out pretty much every Laker game when Bryant fell asleep on a shooter, cutter, etc.

He had the capability to play good defense, he just didn't except late in games or when he was on the ball. Post-Shaq he was a regular defensive minus the majority of the regular season and some playoff games with spurts of lockdown defense.

« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2014, 04:25:10 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
His poor defensive effort and ball-watching started well before age would excuse it. Though he was always trying to "win" and mean mug after the big shot I guess.
Kobe Bryant was all-defense 2nd team in his age 33 season, for whatever it's worth.

Kobe could be a very good defender in his prime.  However, both he and KG have made the All-Defensive team 12 times, which indicates that no one should take that honor all that seriously.

Mike

« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2014, 04:54:25 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

Kobe could be a very good defender in his prime.  However, both he and KG have made the All-Defensive team 12 times, which indicates that no one should take that honor all that seriously.

Mike

How in the world did this become a thread about Kobe's defensive skills?

« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2014, 08:18:42 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Sixers about to get their 3rd win of the season.

That will make them 3 wins and 23 losses. On pace for 9.5 wins over 82 games.

« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2014, 08:25:54 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Mike

well it is titled "futility watch" so it's a natural transition ;)

« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2014, 12:29:05 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Mike

well it is titled "futility watch" so it's a natural transition ;)

i like that buddy. That is a good oen

« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2015, 01:00:07 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
I figured all of you bad basketball aficionados would appreciate this.

http://deadspin.com/basketball-is-dead-the-knicks-and-sixers-murdered-it-1681109236

« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2015, 01:53:12 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

http://deadspin.com/basketball-is-dead-the-knicks-and-sixers-murdered-it-1681109236

That was awesome... revisiting this thread it is actually pretty surprising the number of wins the 76ers have. Although I will say I am pretty low on their plan considering Noel has looked and the reports of Embiid arguing with training staff and possibly putting on weight. Also, because of the epic futility run of the knicks, the 76ers have some competition for the lowest draft spot.

« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2015, 02:01:33 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

That was awesome... revisiting this thread it is actually pretty surprising the number of wins the 76ers have. Although I will say I am pretty low on their plan considering Noel has looked and the reports of Embiid arguing with training staff and possibly putting on weight. Also, because of the epic futility run of the knicks, the 76ers have some competition for the lowest draft spot.

The Sixers are pitiful on offense but surprisingly not altogether horrible on defense.  It will be hilarious if they wind up with the 3rd worst record and then get bumped down to the 4th or 5th pick in the draft.

Mike

« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2015, 02:17:18 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

The Sixers are pitiful on offense but surprisingly not altogether horrible on defense.  It will be hilarious if they wind up with the 3rd worst record and then get bumped down to the 4th or 5th pick in the draft.

Mike

I think this is a sneaky good point. Nerlens Noel is improving noticeably, and we all know that he has the potential to be a really elite defensive anchor. He sat out against the Knicks because of illness. Robert Covington also looks like a real-live actual NBA player.

I'm no doctor, but I'd say relapses for Noel are likely on January 30 and February 6 when the T-wolves and the Celtics come to town, respectively. After that, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a hamstring or ankle sprain issue pop up in mid-March when they have games against the Nets, Celtics, Knicks, and Lakers.

I also don't like Covington's chances to stay healthy in Philadelpha this season... either he gets traded or he catches Pennsylvania fever.

« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2015, 03:19:11 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Mike

I think this is a sneaky good point. Nerlens Noel is improving noticeably, and we all know that he has the potential to be a really elite defensive anchor. He sat out against the Knicks because of illness. Robert Covington also looks like a real-live actual NBA player.

I'm no doctor, but I'd say relapses for Noel are likely on January 30 and February 6 when the T-wolves and the Celtics come to town, respectively. After that, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a hamstring or ankle sprain issue pop up in mid-March when they have games against the Nets, Celtics, Knicks, and Lakers.

I also don't like Covington's chances to stay healthy in Philadelpha this season... either he gets traded or he catches Pennsylvania fever.

Sorry I don't know how many 76ers games you have watched (you have to have league pass) but noels is definitely not a difference maker in them getting wins at this stage in his career. It is debatable whether he is going to be more than a serviceable big.

« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2015, 03:40:22 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Mike
hilarious and sweet justice if the C's leapfrog them into a top 3 spot

« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2015, 03:55:43 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

The math says that if they have the 3rd worst record, they have about a 53% chance of drafting outside of the top three spots.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2015, 02:47:49 AM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57

Mike

Sorry I don't know how many 76ers games you have watched (you have to have league pass) but noels is definitely not a difference maker in them getting wins at this stage in his career. It is debatable whether he is going to be more than a serviceable big.

He's already very advanced defensively for a rookie. He's one of the big reasons the Sixers have about a league average defense.

« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2015, 03:07:50 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

Mike

On the other side though there's still a debate that he could end up as an all NBA caliber defender. He broke Rondo's Kentucky Steals record while challenging Anthony Davis' block record. Then he tore his ACL and was drafted by the 76ers(I'll leave it up to the reader to decide which is worse)

Point is its way too early to count Noel out. It still takes a year to fully recover from an ACL tear and he has to develop on the fly on a firesafe tank squad. Those are some pretty tremendous grains of salt to consider. I want at least 2 years before even beginning to examine who he currently is and should be as a player.