Poll

Whom should Danny go after in your opinion?

Roy Hibbert (IND)
15 (17.9%)
Larry Sanders (MIlL)
11 (13.1%)
Rudy Gobert(Utah)
5 (6%)
Javale McGee(Den)
6 (7.1%)
John Henson(MiL)
8 (9.5%)
Festus Ezeli(GSW)
2 (2.4%)
Jordan Hill(LAL)
3 (3.6%)
Kosta Koufos(Memphis)
2 (2.4%)
Gorgui Dieng(MIN)
8 (9.5%)
Kendrick Perkins(OKC)
5 (6%)
Enes Kanter(Utah)
2 (2.4%)
Other(please list)
4 (4.8%)
Tank and get thru Draft
13 (15.5%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Trade Targets (rim protection)  (Read 5902 times)

Re: Trade Targets (rim protection)
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2014, 05:22:24 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Rudy Gobert would be my first choice with all things concidered. Imo he can put up Hibbert type numbers but for far less the cost. Also he still has tons of potential .

My next choice would be the draft and then Biz Biyombo

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2014, 05:35:08 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I want Marc Gasol, but the most attainable 'elite' guy we'd have a realistic shot at getting is Roy Hibbert in my opinion.
He's entering his prime, he's never played with a pass first pg before and he's a warrior as far as injuries/health go. He's missed very few games and he's only going to get better with Rondo passing him the ball.
Put him next to a stretch 4 or even a David West clone in Sullinger and he'd thrive.

If we could sign both Rondo and Hibbert and still have room for one more max guy if be ecstatic.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2014, 05:40:59 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
KO or Sully and a first rounder for Alex Len.

He fits the need and still very young, so he fits the rebuilding as well.

We have so many first round picks, its time we use one.

Wait.  Let me process this.  We are trading either a 21.6 PER player (Sully) or an up and coming 16.5 PER player in Oly for a center that is averaging around 6 points, 5 rebounds and LESS than 1 block in 19 minutes per game??????????  I forgot to mention 3.2 fouls in 19 minutes for Len.

Seriously??  I would NEVER, EVER give up Sully for him straight up, much less include a first rounder!!!!!!!!!!!!!  They would have to give us a first rounder, at least!!! 

Smitty77

Got it with Sully. Point taken.

But let's go back with Kelly. The potential for Len is there. I get it, 19 minutes 3 fouls... Kid is only 21 years old, has great physical tools. He's still going to get better and can learn. We can gamble on that.

I included the first rounder because, let's face it, it's not going to be as easy as a straight swap. But since we have plethora of picks, why not? How about the Clips' pick? Or Cleveland's? You start with that offer and negotiate from there.

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2014, 07:11:46 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Other: Josh Smith is a rim protector and a talented player who can be had for very cheap.

The biggest knock is that he is a gamble and can't be tamed from his reckless 3-ball abandon.                       Rondo, Stevens and Ainge will fix that.

I agree that he is a gamble, which is  the only reason why he will be so cheap. He can pass, rebound, defend and run the floor. So many hate on this guy, but at the 4 on D and the 5 on O, as ddb suggested in a different thread, he will be a handful.

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2014, 07:24:05 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Other: Josh Smith is a rim protector and a talented player who can be had for very cheap.

The biggest knock is that he is a gamble and can't be tamed from his reckless 3-ball abandon.                       Rondo, Stevens and Ainge will fix that.

I agree that he is a gamble, which is  the only reason why he will be so cheap. He can pass, rebound, defend and run the floor. So many hate on this guy, but at the 4 on D and the 5 on O, as ddb suggested in a different thread, he will be a handful.

However, he plays the same position as younger/cheaper talent in Olynyk and Sullinger. Plus, Smith, an athletically reliant player, will be 30 next season. The wheels could fall over awful quick on him. Just look what happened to our very own GWallace.

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2014, 07:32:43 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Before we give up assets for a rim protector let's get a top ten player first.

The argument for getting a rim protector first could be if he was required to persuade a top-10 to sign here.

Agreed.

Right now the Cavs are stuck with all the talent you could ask for but no rim protection aside from Varejao. I think it makes more sense to lock it up before you find yourself stuck just outside of a great roster.

TP Smartacus.....as that is checkmate on that argument IMO.

Really lol someone uses the Cavs as an example claiming that is supportive to the case of a rim protector and another calls it check mate. SMH people are delusional. Not one GM in the league wouldn't want that roster. The rim protection isn't the issue with Cavs. The issue is new system, new coach, new staff, new players, and overall player experience. Cavs are going to take some time to gel but that is a top 5 contender with the best player in the world.

Based on this logic Cavs should have traded for Sanders last year before signing LeBron this year. Oh but wait that would have cost them the 2014 first + salary so that means no Wiggins for Love + no LeBron. CB craziness at it's best
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 07:37:49 PM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2014, 07:42:52 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

However, he plays the same position as younger/cheaper talent in Olynyk and Sullinger. Plus, Smith, an athletically reliant player, will be 30 next season. The wheels could fall over awful quick on him. Just look what happened to our very own GWallace.

One of Sully/Oly can then be used as an asset as part of a package to get a bigger piece.

Crash fell off the map because of his three concussions. Smith has been very durable. Gotta think he has 3-4,good years left, and if we're talking about taking advantage of Rondos window, Smith's "prime" should fit right in.

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2014, 07:55:47 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Before we give up assets for a rim protector let's get a top ten player first.

The argument for getting a rim protector first could be if he was required to persuade a top-10 to sign here.

Agreed.

Right now the Cavs are stuck with all the talent you could ask for but no rim protection aside from Varejao. I think it makes more sense to lock it up before you find yourself stuck just outside of a great roster.

TP Smartacus.....as that is checkmate on that argument IMO.

Really lol someone uses the Cavs as an example claiming that is supportive to the case of a rim protector and another calls it check mate. SMH people are delusional. Not one GM in the league wouldn't want that roster. The rim protection isn't the issue with Cavs. The issue is new system, new coach, new staff, new players, and overall player experience. Cavs are going to take some time to gel but that is a top 5 contender with the best player in the world.

Based on this logic Cavs should have traded for Sanders last year before signing LeBron this year. Oh but wait that would have cost them the 2014 first + salary so that means no Wiggins for Love + no LeBron. CB craziness at it's best

Lebron would be there if they had Larry Sanders and they might just be a better team than with Love. What they have now is this...

"The Cavs are allowing teams to shoot 64.3 percent within five feet of the rim, which is fourth worst in the NBA"
http://www.fearthesword.com/2014/11/25/7267861/hard-in-the-paint-a-look-at-the-cleveland-cavaliers-defense

Not downplaying any of the points that you mentioned all of those are contributing factors as to why the Cavs are under performing but that doesn't change the fact that they have a deeply flawed roster as constructed.

Everyone always gets on Bosh for not putting up big numbers in Miami but that team was elite on Defense. Put in Kevin Love instead of Bosh and their P and R Defense would have fallen off a cliff. Irving will never be the defender that Wade was/is either.

Love wasn't brought in because he was necessarily a great fit. He was brought in because he was the most available All NBA caliber player. Kyrie is far from an ideal fit for a Lebron lead team since he needs the ball in his hands to be at his best(though he does have a great 3 point shot). Call it CB craziness I call it Roster Construction 101. This team has flaws that will not go away until they get a body in there like Emeka Okafor to cover up the mistakes.

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2014, 08:45:42 PM »

Offline Gari

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 6
Trade deadline:

Celts:
Rondo
Bass

Fakers:
Nash
Jordan Hill
Their lottery pick

I doubt the lakers would rather want a half season rental of rondo over their highly prized lottery pick.

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2014, 08:47:03 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Trade deadline:

Celts:
Rondo
Bass

Fakers:
Nash
Jordan Hill
Their lottery pick

I doubt the lakers would rather want a half season rental of rondo over their highly prized lottery pick.

If outside the top 5 the Suns get the pick.