Poll

Is the 2014-15 crop of rookies doing worse than the 2013-14 crop?

Definitely worse
3 (10.3%)
A little better
3 (10.3%)
Better
10 (34.5%)
Bout the same
1 (3.4%)
It's an interesting question, but a tad too early. Give it another 6 weeks or so.
12 (41.4%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: Is the 2014-15 crop of rookies doing worse than the 2013-14 crop?  (Read 5857 times)

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I think they're doing worse.

Re: Is the 2014-15 crop of rookies doing worse than the 2013-14 crop?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 08:00:28 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Doing worse this year than last year's rookies are doing this year, or doing worse this year than last year's rookies were doing through 3+ weeks last year?  If it's the former, yeah, I'd agree and be not surprised at all, since NBA experience is worth something, especially when comparing it to guys with less than a month in the league.  If you mean during their comparable rookie years, I would disagree, since I don't remember any of them being productive last November aside from MCW. 

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 08:06:46 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I think DA was right and it was overrated. But I think there are some players that will end up being very good, maybe no LEbrons or Durants, but a bunch of next level players and very good role players.

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 09:18:14 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
No, we just had a full season to evaluate last year's rookies so hindsight bias is kicking in. A lot of the rookies were entirely underwhelming three weeks into last season, save the brief buzz around MCW when the Sixers went 3-2.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 09:50:25 AM »

Offline staticcc

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
Too early but I think this class is DEEP! Wiggins, Parker, MCDANIELS, Payton, Smart and Napier are contributing to their teams. I would say Randle would too if he didn't get injured in his first game. Even Gordon, Exum, Lavine, Rudez and Nurkic are given minutes to shine.

Mirotic, Bogdanovic, Noel and Papanikolaou are doing well too (They are rookies even though they weren't drafted this year). Some like Capela, Stauskas, McDermott, Harris (Gary and Joe) have shown flashes and just need playing time IMO. Lest we forget BRUNO CABOCLO AND JAMES YOUNG haven't played much. ;D

Deep class but I think there are only two potential superstars here. Wiggins and EMBIID. They are definitely not worse than the 2013-14 class.
"The bigger the lie, the more they believe." - Bunk

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 10:34:12 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
this class is much better.  last year's crop had no stars, maybe a few starters at most and a handful of useful rotation players.  no one in that draft class to really get excited about.  (that's regardless of the few who rant over Giannis being the future god of the NBA based on being athletic)

This year has shown many more players that are starter-caliber and many more that should be at least useful rotation players.  no real superstars as of yet but none of the high picks are looking like busts at this point (granted it's only a short time into the season).   

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 10:59:31 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
No, we just had a full season to evaluate last year's rookies so hindsight bias is kicking in. A lot of the rookies were entirely underwhelming three weeks into last season, save the brief buzz around MCW when the Sixers went 3-2.

This, except I'd go further and say they were underwhelming for even longer than three weeks into the season.  Do people really not remember the slew of "IS THIS ACTUALLY THE WORST ROOKIE CLASS EVER? Click here to find out!" articles throughout the course of the season?

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2013/12/2013_draft_class_no_1_pick_ben.html
http://www.wetalkfantasysports.com/2014/01/Worst-NBA-Rookies-Ever.html
http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2014/04/03/rookie-rankings-week-22-not-the-worst-draft-ever-not-yet-anyway/

And so on.

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 04:24:00 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I meant last year after about a month in compared to this year. 

I still have to ask myself if last year's rookies contributed more. It seemed to me like KO contributed more than Smart. Bad example as Smart is hurt, plus Smart has two decent players ahead of him and KO didn't but still.

If you go team by team...it's not apples to apples.

Giannis vs Jabari?

MCW vs any Philly rookie this year...Noel or KJ Mc

TJ Warren vs Archie Goodwin or Alex Len

E Payton vs V Oladipo

Noah Vonleh or PJ Hairston vs Cody Z

Nik Stauskas vs Ben McLemore

I don't feel either class is overwhelming, but it probably is too early to judge.

But I feel like this class was very very hyped and is pretty slow out the gate

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 10:02:36 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
The 2014-15 class has way more depth.
With hindsight, the main good guys of the 2013-14 class are IMO:
Oladipo, KO, Noel, MCW, Hardaway Jr, Burke, Giannis, Plumlee. Even some of the all star rookie team have not entirely convinced me (eg Cody Zeller).
Again with hindsight, the top-5 of the 2013-14 class is one of the weakest ever (Bennett, Oladipo, Porter, Cody Zeller, Alex Len). I cannot even think of another year with such a weak top 5.
2014-15 has way more talent: Wiggins, Parker, Smart, Exum, McDermott, Embiid, Young, Stauskas, Pap. Not all of them have got enough playing time, some (like Young) play mostly in the D-league, Embiid is injured but still...
I am just saying the obvious, but in the long run they are way more likely to turn into better players (with the exception of Giannis and Oladipo).

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 12:04:21 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Don't sleep on this dude:

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 12:07:35 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Worth noting: this time last year he'd already made me look like an idiot for wanting to draft him once he was sent into the D-League.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2014, 12:13:19 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Worth noting: this time last year he'd already made me look like an idiot for wanting to draft him once he was sent into the D-League.

It's too bad he didn't get much of a chance last season, but he can't be kept off the court this season.  He was in the game in crunch time again in Atlanta's victory over the Heat tonight.  This time side by side with Teague in a two point guard line up. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2014, 12:17:10 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think the 2013 class has shown it was better than believed at the time.

That said, the 2014-2015 class are better as rookies than the 2013-2014 class. Who were the top rookies at the time? MCW, Oladipo...kind of Giannis, kind of Kelly Olynyk..

This is better.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2014, 06:14:13 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

It's too bad he didn't get much of a chance last season, but he can't be kept off the court this season.  He was in the game in crunch time again in Atlanta's victory over the Heat tonight.  This time side by side with Teague in a two point guard line up.
Honest question: Who is this guy?

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2014, 06:42:31 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I think the 2013 class has shown it was better than believed at the time.

That said, the 2014-2015 class are better as rookies than the 2013-2014 class. Who were the top rookies at the time? MCW, Oladipo...kind of Giannis, kind of Kelly Olynyk..

This is better.

I think Tim Hardaway JR proved to be a pleasant surprise.  Ryan Lewis' partner (sarcasm) ;D was made out to be an awesome player, only to play like a steaming pile of dog crap, aside from the final game of the season, during his rookie year.  He really looked absolutely dreadful, but at least he's turned it around so far this year.  He seems to be building on his performance in game 82 of 13-14, which is what we all hoped that KO would do this year, but nooooo...