Author Topic: Surveying the Trade Landscape  (Read 8965 times)

Surveying the Trade Landscape
« on: November 25, 2014, 05:49:04 AM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Rumor has it there's a market for Green and Bass. Very few teams make good sense as trade destinations, and most teams are outright impossible.  Here are my meanderings as I looked through a few teams.  I'm not a salary cap expert, just a guy who watches way too much League Pass.  Feel free to trash my trade ideas but don't take it too seriously.

Luxury Tax Threshold: $76,829,000
Salary Cap: $63,065,000

Lakers
Likely Interest: Low - None
Committed Salary: $69M

This Lakers team has no interest in winning this year and virtually no flexibility or movable assets.  They’re over the cap, and the expiring contracts of Nash, Boozer, and Jeremy Lin represent the flexibility to pursue a max player(s) in free agency.

Phoenix Suns
Likely Interest: Low-None
Committed Salary: 59M

Phoenix has good depth at the forward position, from Gerald Green to Marcus Morris on down to TJ Warren, who can’t even find minutes on Hornacek’s squad.

Atlanta Hawks
Likely Interest: Low
Committed Salary: 60M

The Hawks are 6-5 and project as a playoff team in the East IMO.  Thabo Sefolosha is playing 22 uninspiring minutes, but primarily plays the 2.  Green or Bass could  take minutes from Demarre Carroll or Pero Antic.  Atlanta can’t trade for Green without giving up one of Horford, Teague, Korver, or Millsap, so a trade with Boston doesn’t move the needle.

My Proposal: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=pwrqc48

Charlotte Hornets
Likely Interest: Medium
Committed Salary: 64M

The Hornets are 4-11, good for last place in the SouthEast.  The Lance experiment has not gone as planned.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see them make a move, and they do have some movable pieces.

My Proposal: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=nw6ga78 with Charlotte sending a draft pick to the Celtics

Detroit Pistons
Likely Interest Level: Low
Committed Salary: 60M

The Pistons are terrible.  I’m frankly surprised SVG took this job.  They’d love to unload Josh Smith’s contract.  Jennings is playing pretty well, but the team has no illusions about winning now.  They own all their own draft picks, otherwise this roster is a mess.  Monroe can’t be traded and I detest Josh Smith as much as any reasonable GM.  They’re unlikely to part with Drummond, who is playing out year 3 of his rookie contract.

My Proposal: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=otgxdz2 
We’ll give you the 2nd worst contract the in the league for the worst contract in the league.  Detroit says no.

OKC Thunder
Likely Interest Level: Medium
Committed Salary: 75M

They have their work cut out for them once Westbrook and Durant return.  Green would be a nice addition to give OKC more wing depth.  Their 2015 draft pick should have slightly more value than we’d normally expect.

My Proposal: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=pkgwm6d 
This trade has some holes, including Jackson’s contract status and OKC filling in Perk’s minutes at the 5.

Sacramento Kings
Committed Salary: 71M

The Kings are 8-5.  Boogie is kicking a$% and taking names.  McLemore is finally showing some life and may live up to his promise.  Darren Collison is a crazy gamble that’s paid off.  Their owner is sufficiently crazy to make any trade idea possible.  Their first round pick is goes to Chicago unless it’s in the top 10, which looks unlikely.  With Rudy Gay, Carl Landry, Jason Thompson and Derrick Williams, I don’t see Green or Bass as likely targets.

Milwaukee Bucks
Committed Salary: 55M

The Bucks are 7-7 and their rebuild looks to be ahead of schedule.  Parker is as-advertised, Knight is a solid starter, and Giannis is evolving quickly.  They don’t have many enticing trade chips, depending on how you feel about Larry Sanders.

My Proposal: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=l9atyww

Re: Surveying the Trade Landscape
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 07:24:07 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
without taking the time right now to break down what they would have to offer or if they can sesibly make a trade work this is my list of teams that would mostly likely covet green.

Bobcats, just go to their stats page and look at their wing production. Neal is only one averaging double digits.

Hawks, add Green to a front line of Milsap and Horford and ATL may have enough talent to make a deeep playoff run.

Clippers, deplorable at SF

Grizz , they are really good. Green could make them great. He would add the athletism they lost in trading Gay without the headache. Prince is an expiring deal and could be a stating point of a trade. Cs also have recent history trading with them.

Knicks, not sure what they offer but a Melo + Green forward combo would be very dynamic on offense. Their D is terrible so I dont think Green really down grades that.

Warriors, i doubt it but maybe they unload some youth for a super 6th man / stretch 4. Curry, Thompson, Iquodala, Green would be scary to match up against.

Rockets, they seem like a great fit for Bass not as much for green

Pelicans, Green is a perfect fit. With Gordon hurt they need wing players. They dont have many movable parts but maybe a deal centered around Gordons bad deal for Wallaces get a trade started. Overpaying Gordon next season while he tries to save his career may not be as bad as overpaying wallace to just get old.

Nets, aside from Johnson they are pretty thin at SF/SG. They could really use green but not sure they have much to move. A green deal cold ne plausible if part of a larger Nets roster shake up.

Lakers, they only have a first round pick if its top 5 so they may try to add one year talent to give Kobe a respectable team. Not sure what they can really offer.

Another question to ask is what the Cs will be looking for in a trade. Rondo's future has alot to do with this. If he is coming back then the Cs will be looking to upgrade the talent and create more cap room for next offseason. If not then they may look for younger players and more picks. Either way its tough to fit guys into this already crowded roster. With Smart coming back soon a number of players will losing some court time. I know in a dream situation the Cs make a trade this season to upgrade Zeller and have in place a legit starting center but that is very unlikely. I tend to think that if Green is moved it will be for a slight down grade at SF and future assets (picks or unsigned 2nd rounders). Examples would be prince from memphis, Carrol from ATL or MKG from bobcats.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 07:41:37 AM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 09:31:33 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Of those trades Charlotte makes the most sense. Id actually like idea of getting Vonleh in here to develop with the bigs since he is so athletic.

That would stop Cody Zeller from having to look over his shoulder and sends Vonleh home to Massachusetts. I still would have drafted Smart or Randle ahead of him, but if we can get Noah Vonleh in a fair trade sign me up.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 11:53:21 AM by Smartacus »

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 10:08:44 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I never though about the Grizzlies as a destination for Green. That is actually pretty interesting. They've got plenty of good wings with Carter, Lee, and Allen. But could probably use some forward depth behind Randolph and could definitely use an upgrade over Prince.

Not sure what picks they have or if they'd offer any youth. Trading Bass or Green for Prince's contract doesnt make much sense since Bass is expiring already and theres a good chance Green opts out to sign a lengthier contract.

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 01:11:15 PM »

Offline scotto1205

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
  • Learn to be you and only you
I wouldn't mind this trade with the Grizzlies

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=k2zpklg
"Maybe there is hope for us afterall

I post a lot of stuff on my phone autocorrect sucks.

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 01:15:51 PM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
as far as green goes, bulls make sense. they need another shot creator. if they're smart they'll try to upgrade this roster further, they are close. they also have plenty of assets to trade.
charlotte needs serious wing help, they also have lots of assets.
houston looks OK at wing, but that team is a fraud and needs all the help they can get. ditto for the blazers and raps.
brooklyn desperately needs an energy guy. they have little to give, though.
wiz could trade pierce and get younger.
lakers could trade nash + rockets 2015 pick, a mediocre return at best unless there are more injuries on houston. in theory the lakers should be tanking to keep a bottom-5 pick.... but jim buss isn't too bright, so who knows.

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 01:18:21 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
as far as green goes, bulls make sense. they need another shot creator. if they're smart they'll try to upgrade this roster further, they are close. they also have plenty of assets to trade.
houston looks OK at wing, but that team is a fraud and needs all the help they can get. ditto for the blazers and raps.
lakers could trade nash + rockets 2015 pick, a mediocre return at best unless there are more injuries on houston. in theory the lakers should be tanking to keep a bottom-5 pick.... but jim buss isn't too bright, so who knows.

If Lakers tank and get a top 5 pick, it goes to PHX from the Nash trade. So no they shouldn't.

Ariza is a better SF in terms of what fits their system. Since doesn't see anyone on that roster worth trading for. Only team that really needs a SF is CHA or LAC. Only CHA has something worth of value to us.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 01:19:49 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
OKC probably needs Jackson's ability to create offense a lot more than they need wing help, especially since it seems that Perry Jones is now emerging this season.

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 01:26:53 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743

If Lakers tank and get a top 5 pick, it goes to PHX from the Nash trade. So no they shouldn't.

Ariza is a better SF in terms of what fits their system. Since doesn't see anyone on that roster worth trading for. Only team that really needs a SF is CHA or LAC. Only CHA has something worth of value to us.

if top 5 then lakers keep pick this year

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 01:52:42 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
OKC probably needs Jackson's ability to create offense a lot more than they need wing help, especially since it seems that Perry Jones is now emerging this season.
I was thinking he'd be redundant after Westbrook came back.

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 02:22:57 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
He's not redundant in the least; he's been the sixth man and will likely retain that role this season.  He's literally the only reliable creator off the bench.  Telfair is an emergency option who cannot shoot.  Lamb is falling out of favor.  Outside of Jackson, no one else other than KD and Westbrook can consistently create offense except for Jones, who's only good at creating for himself.

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 02:30:38 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
I'll try to be respectful about your trade proposals. I don't think that Atlanta would trade Horford and filler for that package, much less including Payne to make the contracts work. Charlotte would only consider that proposal if Vonleh were subtracted from the deal. As far as the Detroit proposal goes, I don't believe that Detroit would trade Drummond for our entire roster if that were permitted. About the OKC trade proposal, I think that Reggie Jackson is just too much of a bargain for them to move him even though he is an expiring contract and will be looking for a healthy pay bump. The Milwaukee trade is interesting because of Rondo. The first reaction to the proposal is that Rondo would never agree to extend there so Milwaukee would never agree to the trade. However, Milwaukee has the ability to remove over $40 million in contractual obligations to a talented but highly risky player like Sanders and may say: If he leaves we still get cap relief from a guy with substance issues, and if he stays that's just icing on the cake. From the Celtics point of view, they should do the deal if they believe that Rondo has his bags packed already. Under these circumstances, I'm willing to take a chance on someone who could anchor our defense. The Milwaukee proposal is quite interesting if Rondo is leaving anyway.

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 02:51:16 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Bobcats, just go to their stats page and look at their wing production. Neal is only one averaging double digits.

Hawks, add Green to a front line of Milsap and Horford and ATL may have enough talent to make a deeep playoff run.

Grizz , they are really good. Green could make them great. He would add the athletism they lost in trading Gay without the headache. Prince is an expiring deal and could be a stating point of a trade. Cs also have recent history trading with them.

Warriors, i doubt it but maybe they unload some youth for a super 6th man / stretch 4. Curry, Thompson, Iquodala, Green would be scary to match up against.

Pelicans, Green is a perfect fit. With Gordon hurt they need wing players. They dont have many movable parts but maybe a deal centered around Gordons bad deal for Wallaces get a trade started. Overpaying Gordon next season while he tries to save his career may not be as bad as overpaying wallace to just get old.

Nice work here. I quoted the ones I think are most sensible. Having poked thru the Trade Machine a couple of days ago on this, I'd be willing to bet Green ends up on one of these teams if he's traded this year, with Memphis, NOP and the Bobcats in the lead. Hawks and Clips' assets don't really shake out well for a Celtics deal with Green.....

Grizz deal makes sense:

1) Simple version ~

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=pyyplhc

or

2) A little more value version ~

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=n2hstu5

In this one, if the Cs waived Pressey and he was claimed, they'd get under the lux tax, I believe.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 03:09:12 PM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 03:40:42 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney

Nice work here. I quoted the ones I think are most sensible. Having poked thru the Trade Machine a couple of days ago on this, I'd be willing to bet Green ends up on one of these teams if he's traded this year, with Memphis, NOP and the Bobcats in the lead. Hawks and Clips' assets don't really shake out well for a Celtics deal with Green.....

Grizz deal makes sense:

1) Simple version ~

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=pyyplhc

or

2) A little more value version ~

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=n2hstu5

In this one, if the Cs waived Pressey and he was claimed, they'd get under the lux tax, I believe.
Why would Boston do this deal?  For Jordan Adams?  I like Jarnell Stokes in the second deal, but Tayshaun would have no future here.  Why give up Green?

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2014, 03:14:51 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
These proposals are really truly awful. You basically have the other teams trading us either their best players or their young prospects for our veteran role players. In the case of the Pistons trade you have them trading us Drummond AND taking on Wallace. I don't even know what to say to that.

No way any of these trades happen. Green might net us a young prospect and some salary (ala the MKG+Henderson deal) but that's assuming Rich Cho panic trades MKG to make a playoff push before Jefferson gets better offers. Bass will probably only get a 2nd round pick.

Our guys aren't world beaters. They are role players on a 4-8 team in a pitiful conference.