Author Topic: James Young - 22 points in Red Claws win  (Read 17480 times)

Re: James Young - 22 points in Red Claws win
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2014, 01:00:35 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
For further perspective, here is a list of D-Leaguers who are currently averaging more PPG than James Young:

Brady Heslip
Manny Harris
Earl Clark
Damien Wilkins
Seth Curry
Patrick Christopher
Elijah Millsap
Alex Kirk
Semaj Christon
Jarell Eddie
Andre Emmett
Adonis Thomas
Eric Griffin
Nick Johnson

Brady Heslip is averaging 34ppg in 26 mpg on 53% from the floor and 58% from 3. In his first game he scored 40 points in 25 minutes.

« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2014, 01:31:25 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
For further perspective, here is a list of D-Leaguers who are currently averaging more PPG than James Young:

Brady Heslip
Manny Harris
Earl Clark
Damien Wilkins
Seth Curry
Patrick Christopher
Elijah Millsap
Alex Kirk
Semaj Christon
Jarell Eddie
Andre Emmett
Adonis Thomas
Eric Griffin
Nick Johnson

Brady Heslip is averaging 34ppg in 26 mpg on 53% from the floor and 58% from 3. In his first game he scored 40 points in 25 minutes.

Wow, that's troublesome. Still like how he looks, esp given he's so young.. but def speaks to the argument that D-league performance doesn't predict NBA performance in the least. Someone must've run a simple regression on this... I'd love to know the predictive power. Given this list and limited knowledge, I'd imagine it's not even significant.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2014, 02:06:47 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Brady Heslip
Manny Harris
Earl Clark
Damien Wilkins
Seth Curry
Patrick Christopher
Elijah Millsap
Alex Kirk
Semaj Christon
Jarell Eddie
Andre Emmett
Adonis Thomas
Eric Griffin
Nick Johnson

Wow, that's troublesome. Still like how he looks, esp given he's so young.. but def speaks to the argument that D-league performance doesn't predict NBA performance in the least. Someone must've run a simple regression on this... I'd love to know the predictive power. Given this list and limited knowledge, I'd imagine it's not even significant.

Most of the time you've got to be good in the D-League in the first place. Being good in the D-League isn't an indicator of success, but not being good in the D-League is a worrying sign (most of the time).

Fab Melo's average? 9.8 points, 6 rebounds and 3.1 blocks.

So young James Young dominating there is a good sign, in my opinion.

« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2014, 05:04:55 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
This is not about Young becoming a ... star in the D-League. The point is that he was moved there because he is a scorer, and it makes much more sense for him to be scorning 20s in the D-League than playing five minutes per game in the NBA.

« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2014, 08:43:27 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
He missed a lot of college .  So the d league will take the place of this , keep him in shape and hone his shooting skill.  On the court confidence instead of watching from he bench . Playing against bad players is still better than not playing and watching from bench when your 19

Just way to soon to even guess what type of pro he ll be.  Anywhere from star to bench player , just no telling

« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2014, 12:36:29 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Brady Heslip
Manny Harris
Earl Clark
Damien Wilkins
Seth Curry
Patrick Christopher
Elijah Millsap
Alex Kirk
Semaj Christon
Jarell Eddie
Andre Emmett
Adonis Thomas
Eric Griffin
Nick Johnson

Most of the time you've got to be good in the D-League in the first place. Being good in the D-League isn't an indicator of success, but not being good in the D-League is a worrying sign (most of the time).

Fab Melo's average? 9.8 points, 6 rebounds and 3.1 blocks.

So young James Young dominating there is a good sign, in my opinion.

I agree with that.

Just to be clear, I really like the limited amount I've seen.

I'm just not reading too much into it.

« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2014, 12:57:44 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Using PPG for this small of a sample size?

He doesn't even play for these guys on the team.  I'm just looking for positives and I see them from some of these plays, combined with his limited time so far.  I think he needs a lot of work on defense but he is showing an aggressiveness going towards the rim that I like to see this early.  He can shoot he needs to be consistent.

That's what I look at for anyone.   Like another person said, I don't want them to be playing badly, that's for sure.  I want him to be getting the ball and scoring a lot and he seems to be doing that.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2014, 01:36:49 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Fab Melo was a crappy college player.  He played in a gimmick system not known for producing bigs who can play man to man

He was an average NBADL player too who had 1-2 good games.

Loose the Big East Bias, Syracuse is part of the ACC now and they will get owned.

« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2014, 03:46:24 PM »

Offline Yenohb

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 73
James "Swish City" Young

« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2014, 07:41:57 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
James "Swish City" Young

Young has one of the best looking shots I have ever seen.

He also has size and athletic ability, plus an in between shot that is very impressive.

The question is, How hard is he willing to work?

« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2014, 11:00:43 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
James "Swish City" Young

Young has one of the best looking shots I have ever seen.

He also has size and athletic ability, plus an in between shot that is very impressive.

The question is, How hard is he willing to work?

See Steph Curry tonight? I've never seen a prettier shot... and he's doing it off the dribble, in tenths of a second.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2014, 11:35:26 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I agree he is super smooth .  From moving into the shot ,  then the shot and the finish .... It's pretty to watch .  Ray Allen always worked his tail off practicing to get where he was.  You had to admire that about him.  He worked hard on his craft .....Young has the same possibility .  Hope he chooses to pull his heart into practice.

« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2014, 11:51:13 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
His three point shot is so smooth.
and thus far his defense has been so absent. i hope he develops all aspects of his game while in maine.

i still think his shot needs to improve. From the waist up, it's butter... but it seems like he's always off-balanced on his shot (except that step-back). Why are his legs always landing at different times
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2014, 11:59:26 PM »

fitzhickey

Gerald Green never starred in a NCAA National Championship game.

F Gerald Green and the horse he rode in on.

Young is going to be a very good player.
Probably because Gerald Green never played in the NCAA.

If young develops into a similar 3pt shooter to Green from last season I will be ecstatic.

« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2014, 01:25:37 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
1. Someone earlier in this thread posted "thats what he suppose be scoring 22 pts, he's a NBA player in the D-League.

2. Someone also talked about how he's getting best of both worlds practicing with the c's and playing big minutes in D-league totally agree.

3. SOMEONE ALSO posted Fab Melo played great in the D-league and supported that with some stats.

Overall the playing time is healthy. At the same time. you can only gauge so much from the D-League. (Kendal Marshal). Theres no way to truly gauge young untill he plays 30+ vs the Spurs ;D <--- (via speaking to Lebron in my dreams) Shooting stroke though ? Some scary ish!!!