Author Topic: James Young - 22 points in Red Claws win  (Read 17479 times)

Re: James Young - 22 points in Red Claws win
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 05:14:29 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
His three point shot is so smooth.
and thus far his defense has been so absent. i hope he develops all aspects of his game while in maine.
I think it will probably take at least the entire season for him to improve on defense, but he does have the physical tools to one day defend at a high level.

Doubt it. Ray Allen has all the tools to be a great defender. He was very athletic in his prime. Young can be a decent defender though.

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2014, 05:29:23 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Ray Allen was never asked to defend as a prerequisite for playing time, though.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2014, 05:33:33 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Right now he maybe our only chance of having a legit scorer on our team.

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2014, 05:35:06 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Great post Triboy. Thanks  ;D

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2014, 05:42:57 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Talent oozing out of this 18 yr old.  Sky's the limit.  Great NBA body as well.  Keep the development going.

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2014, 07:18:15 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Seriously, I know that it's just a youtube mix, but does he ever hit the rim?  Wow.  Of course, Marshon Brooks put up great numbers in the d-league as well, and everyone wanted to get rid of him, so...I know that Young is 19 and Brooks is 24-25, but still. 

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2014, 07:25:07 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
and thus far his defense has been so absent. i hope he develops all aspects of his game while in maine.
I think it will probably take at least the entire season for him to improve on defense, but he does have the physical tools to one day defend at a high level.

Doubt it. Ray Allen has all the tools to be a great defender. He was very athletic in his prime. Young can be a decent defender though.

I'd argue that he has the potential to be better than Ray on defense, if for no other reason than his superior height.  6'7"-6'8" is a lot different than 6'5", imo.  Just ask Kobe, who posted Allen up wherever and whenever he wanted, and pretty much always came out on top.  Once Posey left, only Pierce had the ability to guard Bryant one-on-one.  I'm not saying that Ray didn't try, but Jordan would do the same thing to Dumars, Gerald Wilkins, and Starks.  As long as the guy was of his height or slightly shorter, MJ would just own them inside, so I guess what I'm saying is that every inch counts ;D.

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2014, 07:31:48 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Short reply - it's D-league.  So I wouldn't get too excited about 22 points against D-League competition.

I mean Fab Melo got us excited by getting a triple double in blocks, points, and rebounds.  But we all know how he turned out.

Not dismissing Young.  But it's way too early to judge based on just 1 D-League performance.  Hopefully he can make the roster by next year.

Unless we move a few people though, Thornton, Bass, Turner, etc., I don't see Young cracking the top 10 yet.  And until that happens, it is best to keep him in the D-League where he is at least seeing regular minutes so that he can develop his game.

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2014, 07:43:23 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2014, 08:01:34 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I expect him to spend all season, and perhaps a good chunk of next, in maine. While he has undeniable skills, his weaknesses are pretty glaring right now: defensive focus, right hand handling/finishing, ability to create his own shot.

Jury is going to be out for a while on this kid.

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2014, 08:12:56 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145

I'd argue that he has the potential to be better than Ray on defense, if for no other reason than his superior height.  6'7"-6'8" is a lot different than 6'5", imo.  Just ask Kobe, who posted Allen up wherever and whenever he wanted, and pretty much always came out on top.  Once Posey left, only Pierce had the ability to guard Bryant one-on-one.  I'm not saying that Ray didn't try, but Jordan would do the same thing to Dumars, Gerald Wilkins, and Starks.  As long as the guy was of his height or slightly shorter, MJ would just own them inside, so I guess what I'm saying is that every inch counts ;D.

tough to criticize Ray based on struggles defending Kobe. That's a rough matchup for anyone. And yes, he'd also struggle with MJ. Young could maybe be better, but I think he's an underdog to be even average based on what we've seen so far.

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2014, 08:56:45 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I like his comfort taking the wing 3 shot, not the corner.  Has great range.  Kid can score. 

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2014, 09:02:18 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

Ray was quicker and played the 2. Young is a bit slower and projected as a small forward. Hard to compare diff positions.

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2014, 10:07:11 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Ray was quicker and played the 2. Young is a bit slower and projected as a small forward. Hard to compare diff positions.

True, but hey, you never know.  Man, he's only 19 years old.  I wonder how Gerald Green would have fared in the d-league if it had existed like it does today back in 2005.  Obviously, both guys are two completely different players, but it would still be interesting to see how Green would have performed.  Me thinks the results would have been mostly, "meh," at best, lol ;D.   

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2014, 10:33:11 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

True, but hey, you never know.  Man, he's only 19 years old.  I wonder how Gerald Green would have fared in the d-league if it had existed like it does today back in 2005.  Obviously, both guys are two completely different players, but it would still be interesting to see how Green would have performed.  Me thinks the results would have been mostly, "meh," at best, lol ;D.   

Oh please don't compare a young Gerald Green to James Young.   :)
He's figured it out now, but he was the most clueless player I have ever seen.