Author Topic: Batum worth multiple picks?  (Read 1873 times)

Batum worth multiple picks?
« on: November 24, 2014, 08:01:02 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Bass/Thornton/Picks for Batum/TRobinson?

What would it cost as far as picks?

Re: Batum worth multiple picks?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 08:59:15 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Might as well try to get Aldridge.  If the Blazers trade their best wing when they've got one of the best records in the West, there's no way Aldridge isn't out the door in July.  As it would cost a ton in draft picks for the Blazers to be willing to give LMA every reason to leave, why not just give them up for Aldridge, and give them their choice of Sully or KO instead of Bass.

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 09:21:06 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Might as well try to get Aldridge.  If the Blazers trade their best wing when they've got one of the best records in the West, there's no way Aldridge isn't out the door in July.  As it would cost a ton in draft picks for the Blazers to be willing to give LMA every reason to leave, why not just give them up for Aldridge, and give them their choice of Sully or KO instead of Bass.

The logic to move from one silly trade idea to an even sillier one.

Neither one is getting traded.  Batum is very much like Green, don't even get the idea behind it.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 09:27:32 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Neither one is getting traded.  Batum is very much like Green, don't even get the idea behind it.

My point is that it's as absurd to think they'd trade Batum as it is to think they'd trade Aldridge.  The Blazers have a superstar in a walk year on a winning team -- they're not trading any of their top players for expirings and picks.

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 09:30:51 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

My point is that it's as absurd to think they'd trade Batum as it is to think they'd trade Aldridge.  The Blazers have a superstar in a walk year on a winning team -- they're not trading any of their top players for expirings and picks.

Oh I agree but Aldridge is even sillier.  He is an elite player who will almost certainly play out his career there.

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 09:39:49 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I think what saltlover's saying is that if they trade Batum they're effectively getting rid of Aldridge, since the two complement each other very well.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 09:51:51 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
The lesson here is I should just continue to not press the "post" button when I try to reply to these trade idea threads.

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 09:52:06 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
I think what saltlover's saying is that if they trade Batum they're effectively getting rid of Aldridge, since the two complement each other very well.

Yes, that and that trading a player who helps you win now for future draft picks is a great way to alienate your superstar player in the prime of his career who's on his first real contender ever.  Essentially the logic is this:

A) Trading Batum will almost certainly cause Aldridge to leave in free agency.
B) Therefore most of the cost of Batum will be to compensate the Blazers for the loss of Aldridge.
C) If you're going to pay the Blazers for losing Aldridge, you might as well get Aldridge.

Note: I do not think the Blazers are going to trade Batum or Aldridge.  I just think if you're a Celticsblog poster interested in paying the Blazers umpteen draft picks for Batum, it makes more sense to think about giving up those draft picks for Aldridge.

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 10:28:43 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Bass/Thornton/Picks for Batum/TRobinson?

What would it cost as far as picks?
If you had to tailor-make a player we don't need, you probably couldn't do better than Nicolas Batum: good but not great, plays both forward spots, is not a go-to scorer, and is on a relatively sizeable contract.

I'm also unsure why Portland will trade him, given that he actually fills a need for them, whereas Bass, Thornton, and all the picks in the world don't.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 10:38:50 AM by kozlodoev »
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 10:33:08 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Is he worth multiple picks? Probably

He is a great glue guy that does a little of everything. At this point in the rebuild we should only be trading multiple picks for bonafide star.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 10:56:04 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Is Batum worth multiple picks?  Sure.  Multiple 1sts?  Depends on how high they are, but in theory, yeah.

Would it be worth our while to trade multiple picks for Batum?  Nope, he's a high-end complementary player, and we're stocked with complementary guys.  Would it be worth Portland's while to trade Batum for multiple picks? Nope, unless he's selling crack to his teammates or something. 

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 10:57:54 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
The Celtics might as well just hold on to Green if they were to float a Batum trade that Portland wouldn't consider for reasons already mentioned.