Author Topic: Start Zeller and move Turner to the two guard  (Read 6160 times)

Re: Start Zeller and move Turner to the two guard
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 10:29:32 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
[insert Ferrari video here]
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2014, 10:32:39 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Zeller also didn't cover himself with glory last night either, got pushed around a lot.

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2014, 10:39:25 AM »

Offline heldthemhanging

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 2
It doesn't seem to matter who we have out there right now. We just can't get stops when we really need to. I still think the future for this team is bright but we're still a long way away.

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2014, 10:46:29 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
I'm beginning to realize this is a a lost season.
Any line up shuffling just amounts to rearranging the deck chairs on as doomed ocean liner.
We have 3 players capable of starting on a good team.
RR, Sully, Green.
All others are back ups with potential or backups for life.
Oly could be a good 6th man but kid needs to get his mean on.
Smart looks look he could be a difference maker but he needs time.
Young is intreaging but it will be a while before we can even start to assess his potential.

With out a #1 option and a difference maker at center we're going nowhere.
Problem is, getting these pieces in the draft means years in purgatory.
Landing these pieces through FA is dependent on the right players being available.
MG is so unlikely to leave the Griz.
No 2015 FA looks like a franchise #1 option.
And to top it off I can't think of any players that meet these requirements who could be available for our spare parts, prospects and picks.
Only possible instant turn around tradeing partner I can think of is Indy. And there's so little chance they give up PG and/or Hibbart that I shouldn't even have mentioned it.

Finally, this team is so young, so far from contention and so booooooring to watch that it strains my fandom to the point of disinterest.

Rainy day fans blues #12 & 35.

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2014, 11:02:30 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
After Turner's lovely defensive work on Steve Blake people want him to start?

I'm not a fan of Turner at all, its even worse when he's playing off the ball, then he provides no positive value.

Disagree -- you can't turn the ball over if you don't have it.
Its a trick or treat value, but at least he can do something on the ball occassionally.

He's not a 3 point shooter or a catch and shoot type player. Just doesn't do much for you off the ball.

And he isn't consistent or good enough with the ball for you to want to give it to him much.

Once Smart comes back I hope his minutes go way down.

I wish our team was better on defense like I think everyone but Turner is not better on defense or offense for the team.  We need to space the floor with shooters and he is certainly not that.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2014, 11:10:47 AM »

Offline Joe Green

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 25
I'm beginning to realize this is a a lost season.

With out a #1 option and a difference maker at center we're going nowhere.

I would suggest a slightly more optimistic view.

1. We do not need an "allstar level" center to be very good. We need someone who can rebound and alter some shots. Ideally, we would have landed Omer Asik (remember all those guys who didn't want to trade a draft pick for him.. ?) but there are most likely 10-15 guys we could get that would fit that bill.

2.  Acquiring such a Center will alter the whole function of the team. The presence of a defensive anchor can alter the defensive contribution of each and every other player on the team. Most notibely, our perimiter players will be able to apply more pressure knowing that if their man gets by, there is someone waiting. Also - they could funnel penetration to the blocker.

3. Sully is currently tasked with guarding a guy 3-4 inches taller on a nightly basis. This is taking a huge toll on his defensive and offensive performance. Shifting to defending the PF will allow him to lose a little more weight - becoming a devastating scorer, inside and out.

4. Rondo more than anyone needs a big guy he can pass to. We could get another 3-4 buckets on 80% FG if we had a guy who could finish a lob pass. That is a HUGE bonus...

I think Danny will swing a trade for a Larry Sanders/John Henson type guy before this year is over and we end up making a run for the 8th spot in the east.

Or this could all be wishfull thinking and we blow it all up for draft and cap and s#ck balls for another couple of year.......

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2014, 11:12:51 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Im on board into starting Tyler Zeller. I think he has earned atleast a shot in the starting lineup. Not sure about Turner though...
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2014, 11:16:33 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Kelly cannot play a lick of defense. He makes 1 out of 10 good defensive plays but his one on one defense still blows. We need Zeller to get more minutes. At this point he is the only center we got. Sully needs real center help and not another power forward. Rondo, Green and Sully all shows up to play. I don't want Bradley any where near a ball in the last 2 minutes

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2014, 11:57:13 AM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
I would like to see us start Zeller and move Turner to the two guard.

Let Pressey run the second unit of Pressey, Turner, Wallace, Bass, and Olynyk.

I could get on board with that until Smart returns and takes over Pressey's minutes. Regardless of a rebuild or not I would love to see Wallace get more minutes. In his short spurts he has done a great job running the offense and letting people know where they need to be. He won't be a stat monster but his presence on the court is actually really good for the young guys.

I'd let Olynyk get the same amount of minutes, just play a majority of it with this second unit and let him be the focal point.
Second this.  Wallace has been good in spurts and is still disruptive on defense.  He plays mistake free and adds some needed composure.  I'd like to experiment with Rondo, Smart, Wallace, Green, Zeller.

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2014, 02:07:03 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Zeller and KO are backups, and starting neither is ideal.   But it is who we have to play at this point I'd be willing to try El Hombre.

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2014, 01:40:26 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I like starting Rondo and Smart together, once Smart establishes himself as a stronger player than Bradley (if he does). Despite the negs, Bradley has become (for better or worse) a major part of our offense.

I do like Zeller and Sully to start, though. Both have proven they can compete with first units. And Olynyk would be more effective offensively against 2nd units. Same with Turner... and with Turner, he's as fit as any one I have seen as a second unit guy. He's hit or miss... you can feel him out early, and then decide to let him go or yank him, depending upon what he's bringing that night.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2014, 10:10:33 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I like starting Rondo and Smart together, once Smart establishes himself as a stronger player than Bradley (if he does). Despite the negs, Bradley has become (for better or worse) a major part of our offense.

I do like Zeller and Sully to start, though. Both have proven they can compete with first units. And Olynyk would be more effective offensively against 2nd units. Same with Turner... and with Turner, he's as fit as any one I have seen as a second unit guy. He's hit or miss... you can feel him out early, and then decide to let him go or yank him, depending upon what he's bringing that night.
I think Olynyk would also be more effective defensively on the second unit.  He would not have to face the top talent and might appear more effective. 

Guess I don't detest Turner as much as some around here.  He is a mid-range shooter and an 'opportunist' on offense. As long as he doesn't try to do too much, he is a very solid backup SG (not SF please!).

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2014, 01:36:50 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137

I think Olynyk would also be more effective defensively on the second unit.  He would not have to face the top talent and might appear more effective. 

Guess I don't detest Turner as much as some around here.  He is a mid-range shooter and an 'opportunist' on offense. As long as he doesn't try to do too much, he is a very solid backup SG (not SF please!).

Other than Parker. I've never seen a player shoot the midrange shot as frequent as Turner does

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2014, 02:04:51 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Eventually  ::)

This team is going to have to play with a center at some point sooner or later I don't see LeBron coming to Boston.

Might as well put Zeller in and get people used to playing with a center.