Author Topic: What is up with poor KO?  (Read 7959 times)

Re: What is up with poor KO?
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 06:13:21 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
He is such a confidence player ...

I can't remember the last time I have seen a player play as many minutes as KO does and be so up and down dependent on how well or badly game is going for him.

True character of a player is often found when he is playing badly ... and KO's response to bad games is absolutely terrible.

Well,  except the other night against Philly when he exploded in the third quarter after a bad first half.

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2014, 02:12:26 PM »

Offline DesertDweller

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 92
I think these refs are treating this guy unfairly.  I have seen a ton of unnecessary fouls as well as fouls not called on other teams for really roughing this kid up.  he seems to be trying politely to talk to officials but doesn't seem to get treated fairly.

I know he's still pretty young but he should have earned some bones by now.  maybe it's that hair that's got the refs bugged out!!! 

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2014, 03:10:34 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I think these refs are treating this guy unfairly.  I have seen a ton of unnecessary fouls as well as fouls not called on other teams for really roughing this kid up.  he seems to be trying politely to talk to officials but doesn't seem to get treated fairly.

I know he's still pretty young but he should have earned some bones by now.  maybe it's that hair that's got the refs bugged out!!!

The refs treated Perkins the same way until he got a reputation as a good defender.

After that, he could get away with murder.

And yes, cutting the hair would help. Along with using your body instead of your hands.

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2014, 03:20:57 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Stevens should show him tape of Larry Bird and tell him to try to play like that more.  Bird had so much confidence, despite lacking athleticism, because he was such a phenomenal shooter, and had such great court vision. Those are two qualities Kelly possesses, but without the confidence does not amount to a hill of beans.

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2014, 03:29:35 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Some of it is they don't go to him enough. When Rondo is out, the ball should go threw him, he's one of the better playmakers on the team.

yeah that scary huh?

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2014, 03:42:59 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Those are two qualities Kelly possesses, but without the confidence does not amount to a hill of beans.
  He possesses these talents but not even close to the level of Larry Bird.

The refs treated Perkins the same way until he got a reputation as a good defender.

After that, he could get away with murder.

Again, KO is about as soft as wet kleenex,   Perk was tough.   I doubt KO would murder someone in the post like KP.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 03:50:52 PM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2014, 09:52:54 AM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
I hate the way they are using him.  >:(

He has to set picks for other guys that get the shots when he is better then the shooters.  ::)

He is trying to hard to play the system and needs to take shots, stop passing it to the other chuckers on the team, shoot the [dang] ball. Being WAY to unselfish on a bad team.

This here exactly. The way KO is positioned at games, He has an opportunity to be on Ryan Andersons level already with his shooting volume especially with C's I believe one the top 3-point shooting teams (attempt wise). He's trying to hard to make the team flow (Which I do highly appreciate)... Wish KG was there to tell him "stop being a little girl and shoot the dang ball!!!"

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2014, 11:19:31 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Stevens should show him tape of Larry Bird and tell him to try to play like that more.  Bird had so much confidence, despite lacking athleticism, because he was such a phenomenal shooter, and had such great court vision. Those are two qualities Kelly possesses, but without the confidence does not amount to a hill of beans.
You are right, Kelly does possess those qualities.  The post is still cracking me up though :)  Tp for that!

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2014, 12:05:40 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199

Agree.  KO gets screwed on the regular.  Every game he picks up 2 or 3 head-scratchers.

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2014, 12:19:58 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Bird was much more athletic than KO, and much more skilled as well.

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2014, 01:12:06 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137

KO is 7ft. You don think if he was Larry's height, his speed and agility stat points would go up some in NBA 2k  ;D

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2014, 04:44:25 PM »

Offline Johnny Mic

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
Indeed, KO is in a sophomore slump. 

He's become a focal point for opposing teams' defenses, especially in the first quarter.  The word is out that if you can take out Kelly, you can effectively limit the Celtics offense. 

Bother KO by getting physical and he gets frustrated just like good ol' Randy Moss.  Miss a few shots + turnovers he gives up looking for his shot. Sure he'll focus on rebounding and making hustle plays, but when AB and Jeff Green take 2x as many shots per game, good luck.

Add some early fouls into the mix with questionable Stevens substitution patterns (yes lets sit KO and Rondo for most of the 4th quarter again?) and KO's output goes ka-put.

There's also a chemistry issue.  Kelly looks positively out of sync with Sully and Jeff Green, especially in the fourth, since neither of them trust him with the rock.  Bass has played more cohesively with the other starters but with that unit we've been dropping games....meh

On the positive side, anyone noticed how KO's defense has gotten better?  He's bothering shots and fouling less.  His basketball IQ is good for a few steals per game which is Bird-like, for sure and he has a nose for the ball. 

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2014, 08:41:24 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Indeed, KO is in a sophomore slump. 

He's become a focal point for opposing teams' defenses, especially in the first quarter.  The word is out that if you can take out Kelly, you can effectively limit the Celtics offense. 

Bother KO by getting physical and he gets frustrated just like good ol' Randy Moss.  Miss a few shots + turnovers he gives up looking for his shot. Sure he'll focus on rebounding and making hustle plays, but when AB and Jeff Green take 2x as many shots per game, good luck.

Add some early fouls into the mix with questionable Stevens substitution patterns (yes lets sit KO and Rondo for most of the 4th quarter again?) and KO's output goes ka-put.

There's also a chemistry issue.  Kelly looks positively out of sync with Sully and Jeff Green, especially in the fourth, since neither of them trust him with the rock.  Bass has played more cohesively with the other starters but with that unit we've been dropping games....meh

On the positive side, anyone noticed how KO's defense has gotten better?  He's bothering shots and fouling less.  His basketball IQ is good for a few steals per game which is Bird-like, for sure and he has a nose for the ball.
First time poster.  Welcome.  I've also noticed KO's improved defense, but it appears his reputation as a poor defender is something he'll have to grow out of.

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2014, 08:45:34 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Bird was not much more athletic.  Seriously? 

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2014, 10:31:25 PM »

Offline Johnny Mic

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
Yeah, Larry was one of The Greatest, but he was the inspiration for the phrase "White Men Can't Jump".

"....when he first arrived out of Indiana State for the Celtics training camp in 1979 as a player who couldn't run and couldn't jump." -- NBA.com

Bird had the amazing talent to balance his team play with his role as leader and go-to scorer -- he controlled the game, even when he didn't have the ball.

Get Kelly some Bird footage!  Heck, all Avery Bradley does is watch video of Ray Allen  ;D