Poll

Would you do it?

Yes
24 (50%)
No
24 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: Sully for Nerlens?  (Read 7674 times)

Re: Sully for Nerlens?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2014, 02:13:54 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
Boston would not do it.
Philly would not do it.
Why are we discussing this?
so that when danny reads cb for advice he will know what to do incase it does happen.  ;)

+1

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2014, 02:21:41 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Let's wait until Noel gets tired of the tanking plan and bolts out after his rookie contract expires.
i've been saying the same thing.  figure one of Noel or Embiid (if not both) will bolt that franchise as soon as they can

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2014, 02:48:35 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Negatory!  Sully rocks.  It would be a tank move.  We can't afford to reduce our girth in the paint.  The way to deal with our Sully Kelly problem is to add to them not to trade one.  Kelly has great potential as a sixth man at pf and center.  The defense will be fine with the right starting center.  Let's face it, you could start M. Gasol at center alongside Sully or Kelly with the other off the bench (I vote Kelly off the bench).  KO's passing is great for Brad's system and Sully is a stud.  We need to add to our frontcourt not swap.  If there were lots of stud pf's in the upcoming draft I might change my opinion.  As it is I'd rather trade Jeff green for a center and draft Justice Winslow or Stanley Johnson than trade Kelly or Sully.  Dreaming of a Towns, Sully, Kelly frontcourt.  Or sub Okafor or Gasol, etc. for Towns.

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2014, 03:46:51 AM »

Offline DesertDweller

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 92
WHY???  why are all you people so hell bent on breaking this team apart???  Ainge and Stevens have put together some really good young shooters that given time will learn the importance of playing these games consistently and for 48 minutes.

everybody is always asking why Ainge doesn't make that one move with a big guy that would put us up over the top. well, I think he's waiting because he wants  to make sure it's the right move for years to come!!!

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2014, 08:57:33 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I'd do it in a heartbeat, even if a pick were involved. Philly would need some convincing, but it might be in their best interest ultimately. Can Noel play alongside Embiid?

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2014, 09:59:41 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We need to add to our frontcourt not swap. 

If we can upgrade our D in the post and help defense, I would consider it and I disagree with you.

Sully is a good player on the offensive end and he can rebound.   But his D is subpar.   KO is a good passer and decent offensive player but he can't play a lick of D.  As help defense goes these guys are terrible.  You can only have one  porous defender on a good team and they both can't be in the frontcourt.

Sully has a bit more up side left, but not much on the defensive end.

I disagree and think that he has no upside left.   Good player in many aspects already but almost the same player he came into the league as a rookie.   Guy was skilled and from the get go, his three point shooting is worse, shot selection needs much to be desired.   But a deft rebounder and post scorer and not bad at mid range.   The area he could improve most in, his body, is something he has shown zero desire to do so.

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2014, 10:40:20 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I disagree and think that he has no upside left.   Good player in many aspects already but almost the same player he came into the league as a rookie.   Guy was skilled and from the get go, his three point shooting is worse, shot selection needs much to be desired.   But a deft rebounder and post scorer and not bad at mid range.   The area he could improve most in, his body, is something he has shown zero desire to do so.

Sully's improved significantly since his rookie year, and there's no reason to think he's done.

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2014, 10:50:29 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I think Noel's current value isn't that high, neither is Sully but I think Sully has a better upside currently. I would do a Kelly Olynyk for Nerlen Noel.

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2014, 01:24:54 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Sully's improved significantly since his rookie year, and there's no reason to think he's done.

Playing time is what has improved, not his skillset.  What new skills has he added?   Better body?  Better shot?   More in shape?   Better shot selection?   He is playing more hence more production but I have not seen improvement in skill levels.

Sully came into the league pretty developed skillwise.

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2014, 01:46:10 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
Boston would not do it.
Philly would not do it.
Why are we discussing this?
so that when danny reads cb for advice he will know what to do incase it does happen.  ;)

LOL
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2014, 02:22:52 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Playing time is what has improved, not his skillset.  What new skills has he added?   Better body?  Better shot?   More in shape?   Better shot selection?   He is playing more hence more production but I have not seen improvement in skill levels.

Sully came into the league pretty developed skillwise.

His per36 scoring is up by about 75% from his rookie year. He's a much better scorer than he was as a rookie. He gets about 3x the number of assists that he did as a rookie. His turnover rate has been cut in half and so has the number of fouls he commits. He may or may not have added skills, but he's clearly improved the skills he already had.

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2014, 02:45:56 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Not sure if Philly is interested.
Would rather send Olynyk+Philly ' own 2nd rounders. They'd probably want at lleast a first round pick like the clippers or cavs pick though.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2014, 02:58:18 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I think Noel's current value isn't that high, neither is Sully but I think Sully has a better upside currently. I would do a Kelly Olynyk for Nerlen Noel.
I really don't think it's close.  Noel has far more potential than Sully.  Philly wouldn't do this.

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2014, 03:41:37 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
We need to add to our frontcourt not swap. 

If we can upgrade our D in the post and help defense, I would consider it and I disagree with you.

Sully is a good player on the offensive end and he can rebound.   But his D is subpar.   KO is a good passer and decent offensive player but he can't play a lick of D.  As help defense goes these guys are terrible.  You can only have one  porous defender on a good team and they both can't be in the frontcourt.

I don't mind upgrading PF, but then you're suddenly asking for an awful lot.  Can the Celtics add a stud Center and still find a PF better than Sully/KO in order to replace one of them?  That won't be easy and or will take a lot of time. 

I'd prefer to get a do everything center, especially defense but also offense.  If the Celtics can get a really good center then Sully is easily good enough to be the Celtics starting PF going forward.  And KO is easily good enough to be a backup (unless he fell off the edge confidence wise or something). We'd still have Zeller too so if you needed defense he's there.  Kelly would still have to earn his minutes with good play even as a backup, but I think he could do that with no problem. 

Then, what if the center we get is purely a defensive stud?  Then we'll absolutely need both Sully and KO or someone else who can put the ball in the hole. 

I'd love an all star at both center and power forward but an all star center will solve most of the Celtics big man issues all by himself.

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2014, 03:51:17 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I'm not making any claims about this trade's realism, just asking if it were on the table would you do it?
Nope