Poll

Would you do it?

Yes
24 (50%)
No
24 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: Sully for Nerlens?  (Read 7677 times)

Sully for Nerlens?
« on: November 23, 2014, 12:11:29 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I'm not making any claims about this trade's realism, just asking if it were on the table would you do it?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 11:08:33 AM by Celtics18 »
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

Re: Sully for Nerlens?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 12:40:17 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
not sold on him yet.  I get it from the standpoint of Sully is one of several PFs we have and Noel would be our new Center where we're thin but in terms of overall talent, Sully's much better.  Noel didn't do much to impress me so far.

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 12:46:09 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
not sold on him yet.  I get it from the standpoint of Sully is one of several PFs we have and Noel would be our new Center where we're thin but in terms of overall talent, Sully's much better.  Noel didn't do much to impress me so far.

Well, we'd definitely be much thinner at center if we traded Sully for Nerlens.

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 12:46:14 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I wouldn't do it.

Would rather keep Sully and/or hang onto him for a better return.

I am not that high on Noel.

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 12:59:13 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
That is a harder one for me. I really like Sully.

I am happy to trade Marcus Smart for Noel. I love Smart but we already have Rondo at PG and I think PG is Smart's best position.

I do not know what to make of Olynyk. He does some wonderful things and he does some terrible things. He makes me nervous. Maybe I undervalue him - I don't know. But if I have a chance to get a high quality prospect like Noel for Olynyk, I am happy to make that trade.

Sully, though. That is tough. I think he is already a top 15 PF in league and can be a top 10 PF in near future. I don't know whether to hang onto Sully and try to acquire a different C further down the line or take Noel and replace Sully down the line. Hmm ... seems largely like a lateral move. Replacing one set of problems and advantages for a comparable albeit different set of problems and advantages. Is there any overall gain?

Edit: If one were really high on Olynyk and convinced he was long term above average starting PF material, I think this Sully for Noel trade is a great idea.

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 01:28:50 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

I am happy to trade Marcus Smart for Noel. I love Smart but we already have Rondo at PG and I think PG is Smart's best position.

I do not know what to make of Olynyk. He does some wonderful things and he does some terrible things. He makes me nervous. Maybe I undervalue him - I don't know. But if I have a chance to get a high quality prospect like Noel for Olynyk, I am happy to make that trade.

Sully, though. That is tough. I think he is already a top 15 PF in league and can be a top 10 PF in near future. I don't know whether to hang onto Sully and try to acquire a different C further down the line or take Noel and replace Sully down the line. Hmm ... seems largely like a lateral move. Replacing one set of problems and advantages for a comparable albeit different set of problems and advantages. Is there any overall gain?

Edit: If one were really high on Olynyk and convinced he was long term above average starting PF material, I think this Sully for Noel trade is a great idea.

Guilty of being that one.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 01:43:38 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
If I was DA, I would hold onto both Sully and KO at least til the end of this season so we can better see their long range value.  Both will be getting major minutes and will hopefully improve their trade value throughout the year. 

It would have to be some kind of combination homerun trade that brought back a alpha dog to make me trade either this year.

I like Nerlens, but I like him a lot more on our roster with both KO and Sully.

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 03:04:13 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

I agree.  I love what Sully is doing and I know there are plenty of people who aren't yet sold on Nerlens after like 8 games or whatever... but I've seen enough to believe the kid is going to develop into an elite impact interior defender.   I think his ceiling is much higher than Sully.  I don't think Philly even considers trading him.

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 03:39:10 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Boston would not do it.
Philly would not do it.
Why are we discussing this?

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 03:58:27 PM »

Offline fandrew

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 25
I think that KO for Noels would be good for both teams. We desperately need the interior defense, and they would get a great perimeter stretch 4 to put next to Embiid when he is playing. I think that KO/Embiid would be a better frontcourt than Noels/Embiid because the defense would be great but on offense the paint would be crowded. Embiid would mitigate the defensive woes of KO, and the offense would flow much better.

Sully and Noels would be a strong interior, and with Zeller off the bench, we would have a good front court defensively, though perhaps crowded. If Sully's 3 pt shoot ends up in the 33% range like I think it will by the end of the year (I think he is much better than his current clip) it would allow a lot of room on the offensive end. And Noels/Zeller frontcourt would give use a combination of Zeller's nice footwork and finesse/passing around the basket, with Noels athleticism and ability to finish around the basket, especially with Rondo pounding the ball on the inside.

So to sum up:
Sully for Noels... not my wheelhouse.

KO for Noels... Yay!

Will it happen?

NOPE!!
"It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care." - Peter Gibbons

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 04:02:57 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

I agree.  I love what Sully is doing and I know there are plenty of people who aren't yet sold on Nerlens after like 8 games or whatever... but I've seen enough to believe the kid is going to develop into an elite impact interior defender.   I think his ceiling is much higher than Sully.  I don't think Philly even considers trading him.

I think you're right in that they won't consider trading him, but I think it's more as a backup plan for Embiid. The question is if they can really play together (Embiid and Noel) since they're both natural 5's instead of 4's. And with the league trending towards smaller ball with stretch 4's, I don't think it will work.

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2014, 04:46:52 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Boston would not do it.
Philly would not do it.
so that when danny reads cb for advice he will know what to do incase it does happen.  ;)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2014, 05:09:30 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Let's wait until Noel gets tired of the tanking plan and bolts out after his rookie contract expires.

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2014, 05:31:49 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Boston would not do it.
Philly would not do it.

I disagree. Boston probably would do it, but doubt Philly would, not until they see how Nerlans and Embiid play together, which won't be until next year.

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2014, 06:22:53 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Consider that this year is Noels first year, plus he's coming back from a serious injury. He didn't play last year at all.
This Sully's 3rd year, so yes, he is further along at this point.
Long term...tough call, Noels will be a fine rim protector, and will get better on the offensive end. Sully has a bit more up side left, but not much on the defensive end.