Author Topic: I just want gorgui deing  (Read 4764 times)

I just want gorgui deing
« on: November 22, 2014, 05:06:06 PM »

Offline Hawkeye199

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 131
The celtics have one big gapping hole in their lineup,that can only be filled by a defensive center.
I hear people say they want karl towns because he has great potential in the nba. However there is a
defensive center having great success already in the nba that the celtics can get. His name is Gorgui deing. he is 24 years old and costs less then 2 million dollars.When he starts he averages 12 points,12 rebounds and 2 blocks a game. He is the 4th rookie in the past 20 years to have a 20/20 double double. Don't believe me here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hbot-rwWnRc

from espn http://www.espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2534781/gorgui-dieng

Scouting report
+ Athletic, active 7-footer who excelled on the glass as a rookie
+ Looked overwhelmed by speed of the game early on before thriving as starter late in season
+ Skilled for a big man. Operates well from the high post

Analysis
It's hard to believe the Gorgui Dieng who stumbled through the early season and the one who dominated as a starter in April were the same player. Such is the learning curve for Dieng, who took up the game late in his native Senegal. Timberwolves fans were furious former coach Rick Adelman waited so long to give Dieng regular playing time, but when he did get opportunities in November and December, Dieng looked out of place.

It's unclear whether force-feeding those minutes might have helped Dieng develop more quickly. Either way, Dieng's late-season play was encouraging. He averaged 12.2 points and 12.0 rebounds as a starter, including a 22-point, 21-rebound effort against the Houston Rockets that made him one of 15 players to record a 20-20 game last season. Now the trick is finding enough minutes for him with Pekovic back in the lineup. It's possible that Dieng and Pekovic could play together at times; Dieng is athletic for a 7-footer, and he's effective in the high post because he has good court vision for a center and is a decent midrange shooter (38.1 percent last season from beyond 16 feet, per Basketball-Reference.com). Dieng also flashed some low-post moves late in the season, but is not efficient enough for that to be a regular part of the offense.

Dieng's greater value is at the defensive end. He can step out to defend the pick-and-roll as well as locking down the paint. Dieng's block rate was solid last season, and he really excelled on the glass. His 20.1 percent rebound rate ranked seventh among players with at least 500 minutes of action. Though fouls were a bit of an issue early, Dieng cut his rate from 7.0 per 36 minutes as a reserve to just 3.2 as a starter.

I think we can give up olynyk and a Cleveland 1st round pick for him. We have our future pf in sully, who is quietly having a great year. deing is young and clearly going to have a great career. we still would probably finish with a lottery pick and could draft our future sf and then from there be great.

highlights of rookie season
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCo-fg2WLog
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 05:11:45 PM by Hawkeye199 »
zach lavine-jeremy lin-tyus jones
jeremy lamb-tyshen prince-Andre miller
will barton- beljina-
Kevin love-kevin garnet-payne
Karl anthoney Towns-JJ hickson

Re: I just want gorgui deing
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 05:06:48 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Isn't he starting now?  Minny fans want him too.

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 05:09:06 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
He may not feel the same  ::)

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 05:15:16 PM »

Offline Hawkeye199

• Jaylen Brown

he is starting because pekovic is injured. I really think we need to get him soon before it is to late.
will barton- beljina-

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 05:25:27 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Is Dieng really that good of a defender?

I haven't seen enough of him. Only snippets here and there. Missed nearly all of his play late last season after I gave up on T'Wolves earlier in the seaosn and I have been avoiding Minnesota games of late since Ricky Rubio is out -- I find Minny unwatchable without Rubio there to run the offense.

The defensive stats do not look great for him. Even in the video above where Dieng was having a career-night, he was getting pushed around easily by Asik. On 82games.com, opposition PER is poor which is fairly predictable for someone who gets outmuscled that easily. His on/off defensive stats are bad this year, netural last year (backing up dodgy defender Pekovic). The T'Wolves starting lineup last year with Pekovic had 1.05 defensive rating in 1,000 minutes. Same unit with Dieng at center instead of Pekovic went for 1.13 defensive rating in a fairly healthy sample of 225 minutes. There isn't enough minutes yet this year to compare.

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 06:11:24 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I haven't seen enough of him. Only snippets here and there. Missed nearly all of his play late last season after I gave up on T'Wolves earlier in the seaosn and I have been avoiding Minnesota games of late since Ricky Rubio is out -- I find Minny unwatchable without Rubio there to run the offense.

The defensive stats do not look great for him. Even in the video above where Dieng was having a career-night, he was getting pushed around easily by Asik. On 82games.com, opposition PER is poor which is fairly predictable for someone who gets outmuscled that easily. His on/off defensive stats are bad this year, netural last year (backing up dodgy defender Pekovic). The T'Wolves starting lineup last year with Pekovic had 1.05 defensive rating in 1,000 minutes. Same unit with Dieng at center instead of Pekovic went for 1.13 defensive rating in a fairly healthy sample of 225 minutes. There isn't enough minutes yet this year to compare.
He looks like a decent defender to me, perhaps needs to still get bigger and get some big man coaching. If he can become a better defender than Olynyk I would make that trade. His upside seems higher. What else to throw in that trade to get it done?   

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 06:31:40 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
The new Osik on CB.

Not that we can get him but Minny already has Pekovic for the next four years taking up at least 30 mins a game. No way Deing can properly develop backing him up.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 07:10:49 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Minnesota would give up Pekovic before they give up Dieng.  The Wolves team that re-signed Pek was one that still featured Kevin Love and was actively striving to make the playoffs.  Don't think for a second that because they signed him to that contract a year ago that they aren't willing to change course now that they're in a pseudo-rebuilding phase.  The Wolves also signed Kevin Martin and Corey Brewer last summer to make their team more competitive and both have since been mentioned as being on the trade block.

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 03:14:43 AM »

Offline Hawkeye199

• Jaylen Brown

I don't know where you are getting your numbers but the analyzes i posted of deing is from espn. The link is in the description. I am not like making these numbers up.yes he probably needs to add a little muscle but he still is playing really really well. he has a per of 20.
will barton- beljina-

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 06:00:25 AM »

Offline AidaCelt

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 13
I agree that this is 1 big kid I would make a trade for. Before you jump up and shoot me down, I'm not sure how much I would be willing to give up. But I like what I've seen in limited minutes. He has a lot of improvement to go, but I think he could be a solid starting C for a contender in a few years. The question is, could he be a starting C on a championship team? I think it's too early to tell. But you need to strike before the potential comes out otherwise you'll be over paying.
Expectations, Execution, No Excuses

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 10:10:16 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

he is starting because pekovic is injured. I really think we need to get him soon before it is to late.

It's been too late since he was drafted.

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2014, 10:28:43 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
I want this guy too and did during that draft. Minny won't give up on him. He could be a gem and looks physically a little reminiscent of a young KG in that uniform. Long lanky and athletic. I think we have to draft a guy and get lucky and live with the Olynyk we've got.

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2014, 10:40:49 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
hey, you folks are looking for a...

center?
international?
tall?
skinny?
first pick in second round?

here's your guy... http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Mouhammadou-Jaiteh-6366/
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2014, 10:58:46 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Too late on this one, doubt they move him.

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2014, 11:03:33 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I just want to dance!!