Author Topic: So where will the C's end up in the lottery if they stand pat ? if they sell?  (Read 2320 times)

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I was looking at the standings, and from what I see

PHI
LAL
MIN

Are the worst teams in the league .

The C's are in the next level

Bos
NYK
Utah
Den
Mil
Ind
Orl

That would be the top ten picks in next years draft .  So C's are pretty much guaranteed a top 10 pick if they just play the season out with any trades, right ?

But what if there is a few trades ? Say we could get a 1st and expirings for Bass and Green ? I would much rather do this than trade Rondo for a low ball package .  We would be able to clear Green off the books for sure , rather than wondering if he will opt out or not at the end of the year , and pick up a draft pick to add to the stockpile . A lot of contenders could use Bass as a Solid big man off the bench .

If we trade Bass and Geeen, I think we easily fall into the top 5 in the lottery, but still have Rondo(and his bird rights) along with picking up a few picks and falling into the top 5 in the lottery .

Then we could use a few of our picks to move Wallace(or stretch option) and clear even more cap space , So we could re-sign Rondo, add another max , and still have some cap room left .

Roster

top 5 pick
Max contract
Rondo
Sully
Smart
KO
Zellar
Bradley
Turner
Young
clips 1st rd pick
I think this is the way to go .
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 03:48:12 PM by rondohondo »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
about where they were last year, I'd guess.  Maybe a little better.  7-10 range.

I think one big swing (Kelly or Sully + picks) for a defensive big man would instantly transform this team to borderline playoff team, but I'm not sure who that player could even be at this point.  Who are the top defensive bigs in the league?  Are any available?

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

PHI
LAL
MIN

Bos
NYK
Utah
Den
Mil
Ind
Orl

That would be the top ten picks in next years draft .  So C's are pretty much guaranteed a top 10 pick if they just play the season out with any trades, right ?

But what if there is a few trades ? Say we could get a 1st and expirings for Bass and Green ? I would much rather do this than trade Rondo for a low ball package .  We would be able to clear Green off the books for sure , rather than wondering if he will opt out or not at the end of the year , and pick up a draft pick to add to the stockpile . A lot of contenders could use Bass as a Solid big man off the bench .

If we trade Bass and Geeen, I think we easily fall into the top 5 in the lottery, but still have Rondo(and his bird rights) along with picking up a few picks and falling into the top 5 in the lottery .

Then we could use a few of our picks to move Wallace(or stretch option) and clear even more cap space , So we could re-sign Rondo, add another max , and still have some cap room left .

Roster

top 5 pick
Max contract
Rondo
Sully
Smart
KO
Zellar
Bradley
Turner
Young
clips 1st rd pick

It's far from a guarantee. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
about where they were last year, I'd guess.  Maybe a little better.  7-10 range.

I think one big swing for a defensive big man would instantly transform this team to borderline playoff team, but I'm not sure who that player could even be at this point.  Who are the top defensive bigs in the league?  Are any available?
agreed

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

PHI
LAL
MIN

Bos
NYK
Utah
Den
Mil
Ind
Orl

Roster

top 5 pick
Max contract
Rondo
Sully
Smart
KO
Zellar
Bradley
Turner
Young
clips 1st rd pick

With the way our defense plays it is .....

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

I think one big swing for a defensive big man would instantly transform this team to borderline playoff team, but I'm not sure who that player could even be at this point.  Who are the top defensive bigs in the league?  Are any available?
agreed

Disagree.

Highly unlikely, and the fact that no one is able to mention who that "defensive big" is makes it more unlikely. Add to the fact most defensive bigs are poor offensively would IMO just be a lateral move. It doesn't fix the fact our PG can't shoot (and I'm a Rondo fan), our SG has tunnel vision, can't dribble or pass and our SF is slightly above average.

As for the question, we will get the worse pick possible as usual.  :'(

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

PHI
LAL
MIN

Bos
NYK
Utah
Den
Mil
Ind
Orl

Roster

top 5 pick
Max contract
Rondo
Sully
Smart
KO
Zellar
Bradley
Turner
Young
clips 1st rd pick

With the way our defense plays it is .....

It's still very early.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
We've had the second most difficult schedule so far (and it's not any easier the next 3), so let's just see how things play out in December before we start calling this season a loss.  ;)

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

I think one big swing (Kelly or Sully + picks) for a defensive big man would instantly transform this team to borderline playoff team, but I'm not sure who that player could even be at this point.  Who are the top defensive bigs in the league?  Are any available?

There's a Center in Denver that fits the bill. Saying his name out loud would derail this thread though.

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

There's a Center in Denver that fits the bill. Saying his name out loud would derail this thread though.

Said player would probably make this team worse not better. Plus I'm not giving KO or Sully and picks up for him.

The only center who I could see being available during the season would be Hibbert and I think that's a long shot. If we could add Hibbert by trading 2 firsts, an expiring, and a young piece (holding onto Sully and Smart) we would instantly turn into a playoff team (granted a low seed).

My plan would be to try and pry Hibbert out of Indy with the above package. And use Bradley and a first to Denver for Afflalo.

Rondo/Smart/Pressey
Afflalo/Turner/Young
Green/Wallace
Sully/Powell
Hibbert/Zeller/Fav

Bench needs work but the starting lineup becomes legit and we'd still have 7 firsts over the next five years.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Said player would probably make this team worse not better. Plus I'm not giving KO or Sully and picks up for him

I actually think Hibbert would be a good C to pair with Sully.   Covers up his weaknesses and Sully covers his problems as he is a superb rebounder.   I doubt Bird would take said package though.