Author Topic: Good time for Rondo for Irving trade  (Read 10154 times)

Re: Good time for Rondo for Irving trade
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2014, 02:40:20 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I don't think that Rondo would be a great fit next to Lebron, who wants / needs the ball in his hands.  Rondo is borderline useless offensively off the ball.

Lebron has never played with a pass pg before.   These days if you see him play he does not want to bring up the ball unless he feels like he has to take over the game.  Just like how Pierce was before demanding the ball at any point of the game, i don't think Rondo will have a problem giving up the ball to Lebron anytime he wants it , especially in the 4th quarter

Right now the issue with the cavs is that Irving brings up the ball but alot of times does not know "naturally" what to do with it.  In the 4th quarter he wants to score but this is also where guys like Lebron and Love want to shine. There is a struggle

Irving on the Celtics team can rely on guys like Green, Sully, KO , Smart's passing to get the offense working and also jack up 20-22 shots without worry and get the team the points it needs. Most importantly score those less than 5 min points to close out the game

How much better do you think the Celtics would be right now if they exchanged Rondo for Irving?

Better. The team will have a chance to win more close score games. Backcourt defense will be better

I seriously doubt that's true.  Irving is a worse defender than Rondo.

There are some things Rondo is better at the defensive end, but Irving is younger and is a better 1 on 1 defender right now. Anyways it's not defensive needs that we would be getting Irving. It's his ability to score, maximize the passing abilities from guys like KO, Sully, Green and have him be the "finisher" for the team.

I disagree.  I don't think Irving would make the team better offensively.  As a matter of fact, I believe he would hamper the play of Olynyk, Sully, and Green, as opposed to maximizing their abilities.  The fact that those guys play with a pass first PG is good for them as scorers. 

If you think just giving the ball to Irving and asking him to take all the shots would improve the team's chemistry or offensive production, I think you are mistaken.

On the flipside, having a player that can create his own looks, will cause double teams, and subsequently open looks for teammates.

On the double flip side, Rondo almost always draws multiple defenders when he gets into the lane, thus creating open looks for teammates. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2014, 02:41:11 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
No chance.  Irving is way more valuable than Rondo.  It also doesn't make as much sense for the cavs as people here like to think.  Cleveland doesn't actually need a pass-first PG.  They have Lebron.  They are way better off having an elite shooter like Irving.

So why are the cavs mediocre then?   Love looks crappier than we have seen him before, Lebron looks tired to have to do more work than he has before and Irving looks confused to try to hold back his game. 

Just bc you have three all star calibre players, does not mean it will workout brilliantly.
They'll win at least 50 games this year.

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2014, 02:41:34 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
This is one Rondo trade I definitely make.

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2014, 02:48:51 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I don't think that Rondo would be a great fit next to Lebron, who wants / needs the ball in his hands.  Rondo is borderline useless offensively off the ball.

Lebron has never played with a pass pg before.   These days if you see him play he does not want to bring up the ball unless he feels like he has to take over the game.  Just like how Pierce was before demanding the ball at any point of the game, i don't think Rondo will have a problem giving up the ball to Lebron anytime he wants it , especially in the 4th quarter

Right now the issue with the cavs is that Irving brings up the ball but alot of times does not know "naturally" what to do with it.  In the 4th quarter he wants to score but this is also where guys like Lebron and Love want to shine. There is a struggle

Irving on the Celtics team can rely on guys like Green, Sully, KO , Smart's passing to get the offense working and also jack up 20-22 shots without worry and get the team the points it needs. Most importantly score those less than 5 min points to close out the game

How much better do you think the Celtics would be right now if they exchanged Rondo for Irving?

Better. The team will have a chance to win more close score games. Backcourt defense will be better

I seriously doubt that's true.  Irving is a worse defender than Rondo.

There are some things Rondo is better at the defensive end, but Irving is younger and is a better 1 on 1 defender right now. Anyways it's not defensive needs that we would be getting Irving. It's his ability to score, maximize the passing abilities from guys like KO, Sully, Green and have him be the "finisher" for the team.

I disagree.  I don't think Irving would make the team better offensively.  As a matter of fact, I believe he would hamper the play of Olynyk, Sully, and Green, as opposed to maximizing their abilities.  The fact that those guys play with a pass first PG is good for them as scorers. 

If you think just giving the ball to Irving and asking him to take all the shots would improve the team's chemistry or offensive production, I think you are mistaken.

On the flipside, having a player that can create his own looks, will cause double teams, and subsequently open looks for teammates.

On the double flip side, Rondo almost always draws multiple defenders when he gets into the lane, thus creating open looks for teammates.

yes for some parts of the game but in the 4th quarter or against smart teams, they won't be dumb to double Rondo.  You dare Rondo to shoot and stay with your man or play zone defense. Thats how you can beat us and how we have lost so many games late now

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2014, 02:52:42 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
No chance.  Irving is way more valuable than Rondo.  It also doesn't make as much sense for the cavs as people here like to think.  Cleveland doesn't actually need a pass-first PG.  They have Lebron.  They are way better off having an elite shooter like Irving.

So why are the cavs mediocre then?   Love looks crappier than we have seen him before, Lebron looks tired to have to do more work than he has before and Irving looks confused to try to hold back his game. 

Just bc you have three all star calibre players, does not mean it will workout brilliantly.

how are you coming up with this prediction  the way things are going now?

The Rockets, Spurs, Memphis are on their way to win 50. Not the Cavs.

Imo its not a "we need time to gel" , "patience" kind of thing.  The key parts Love + Lebron and Irving don't really work well together.   The cavs will have the best chance to get far with an experience pg like Rondo and trading for a mobile shot blocker.   

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2014, 03:24:24 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
The funny thing is that Irving has probably been the Cavaliers most consistent player this season. Anyway, they wouldn't trade him for Rondo. He's signed long term, he's young, and he's obviously very good offensively (for himself). Although I do think the Cavaliers would be better this season with Rondo.

I'd make the trade, because Irving fits this team's timeline better and he's a closer too. Hopefully in a few years, once the C's are good again, he'll be able to create for others too.

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2014, 03:27:34 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

how are you coming up with this prediction  the way things are going now?

The Rockets, Spurs, Memphis are on their way to win 50. Not the Cavs.

Imo its not a "we need time to gel" , "patience" kind of thing.  The key parts Love + Lebron and Irving don't really work well together.   The cavs will have the best chance to get far with an experience pg like Rondo and trading for a mobile shot blocker.
Common sense.  I don't overreact to some early-season struggles for a brand new team.  They'll win over 50 this year.  THey have LeBron James, Kevin Love and Kyrie Irving.  Are you going to be at all surprised when they go on a 10 game win streak?

To be fair, I said the same thing last year when everyone lost their  mind over Brooklyn's early season struggles.   Granted, they didn't go on a 10 game win streak (though they did have a stretch where they won 10 out of 11), but they predictably finished the season over .500 with a playoff seed. 

Come on... King James can win 50+ with Boobie Gibson and Delonte West as his best teammates... if you seriously think that team is going to continue to struggle all year, you're kidding yourself.  I mean... unless James gets injured.

Rondo doesn't make sense for that team.  He's a bricklayer.  He'd be a liability out there every time LeBron controlled the ball (which he should... he's the best player in the world and one of the top passers in the league).   Kyrie is going to be gold long-term once that team figures out what they are doing.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 03:32:41 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2014, 03:39:28 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I don't think either PG is the right "type" for playing alongside of Lebron. Cleveland would be better off with someone who doesn't need the ball in their hands so much to be effective, but is also a solid spot up perimeter shooter, as well as a solid defensive player. Someone like Derrick Fisher in his prime.

Kyrie could be closer to that, simply because he shoots the ball far better than Rondo, but I think Rondo would actually be better for that team simply because he knows how to get teammates involved in the offense better. There is also the issue of Kyrie's mentality. He thinks score first, score second and score always. He also doesn't have the ability, at least not so far, to humble himself and defer to Lebron as he should be.

Regardless of whether or not Cleveland trades Kyrie for Rondo, which they won't and shouldn't, they probably would be best served by trading him for other needs.

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2014, 04:00:16 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
In terms of the Cavs being mediocre, remember that Lebron's first Heat squad started 9-8.  It's probably lucky that they didn't blow it up after 11 games.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2014, 04:20:33 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
In terms of the Cavs being mediocre, remember that Lebron's first Heat squad started 9-8.  It's probably lucky that they didn't blow it up after 11 games.

Different situation.

I don't think anybody ever questioned whether or not Wade would be able to subdue his game for the betterment of the team. Wade had already proven himself to be a leader and was far more mature at that stage of his career.

Kyrie on the other hand still seems to be very immature and out to 'get his'. I question if he is ready to do what it takes to be a team player. He has a lot to prove in this area. This isn't uncommon for players as young as Kyrie.

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2014, 04:42:17 PM »

Offline Hawkeye199

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 131
 First of all, Irving is way better then rondo because he is younger,signed long term and has a better health history. i would do rondo and a celtics 1st round 2016 pick for kyrie irving. Another idea would be rondo and bradley for kyrie irving and waiters

2nd of all, the celtics don't need scoring. we actually have a lack of defense. once we have kyrie irving we should trade him for a big defensive center. that is our biggest hole. then we need a strong young sf which we should use our 2015 draft pick on. then we come out 2015 with a great young team
zach lavine-jeremy lin-tyus jones
jeremy lamb-tyshen prince-Andre miller
will barton- beljina-
Kevin love-kevin garnet-payne
Karl anthoney Towns-JJ hickson

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2014, 04:52:21 PM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
Irving is a star and Rondo is a role player. It would probably take all of Boston's picks plus Rondo to make the deal work. Then you have to realize that Kyrie isn't going to be happy and then Boston will have to trade Irving. No one wants to play in Boston if they can help it.

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2014, 05:03:04 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Irving is a star and Rondo is a role player. It would probably take all of Boston's picks plus Rondo to make the deal work. Then you have to realize that Kyrie isn't going to be happy and then Boston will have to trade Irving. No one wants to play in Boston if they can help it.

Lots of great hyperbole here. Congrats -- it's difficult to prioritize which is the most hyperbolic.  Maybe others will take a crack at it.  I'll provide the choices here:

1. Rondo is a role player.
2. It will probably take all of Boston's pick.  Not sure what this means exactly -- Boston's 2015, Clips 2015, two of Boston, Brooklyn and Cleveland 2016, Brooklyn's Swap pick in 2017, Brooklyn's 2018.  Yeah, with Rondo I think probably that would do it.
3. NO ONE want to play in Boston if they can help it.

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2014, 05:13:06 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Any other all stars in the league that are role players?

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2014, 05:20:09 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I can see this as a possibility or one outcome to the Rondo soap opera.

Swapping Rondo for Irving might be good as Danny gets ..  Player wise...if he isn't planning on paying Rondo or keeping him., or watch him walk.

I'm on the fence about it myself.   It's obvious LeBron needs him to distribute the rock .  Irving is a shoot first guard ...... He might play better with Smart .....I don't know .

Irving would be the closest to a super star player , C's would be able to swap for Rondo.

We'd only get a second rate big for Rondo.  Like Monroe .....another non true center.

But......Irving might be worth getting .....to flip for a 1 st or 2 nd Lottery pick to the Lakers. Who want him bad ......then we draft our big man.

I think Irving could be traded for a very high Lottery pick to the right team.....more so than an older Rondo.

All that off my chest .......i d rather keep Rondo ......

I m not sure Danny is though.