Author Topic: Good time for Rondo for Irving trade  (Read 10155 times)

Good time for Rondo for Irving trade
« on: November 22, 2014, 01:43:07 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Good for both teams. Cavs are currently on a 3 game losing streak and there is a bad chemistry between Love + Lebron and Irving.  I'm not the biggest fan of Irving but he is the kind of player (able to score 30 at any game) that the Celtics need.   He is right now putting on the brakes alot of times bc he has to try to work with Lebron and Love.  Might be a bad thing for his development, reaching potential.  I think BS can help him become a better player and a change of scenery is what he needs. Good 4th quarter player that can help a team close out games.

The "desperate to win now" Cavs on the other hand , can use a pass first pg like Rondo. 

Trade

To Cavs: Rondo, Bass, 2015 1st pick (non lotto), multiple 2nd round picks
To Celtics: Irving, Thompson, fillers

Celtics lineup

KO
Sullinger
Green
Smart
Irving

Bench

Zeller
Thompson
Thornton
AB
Turner

Extra

Young
Powell
Pressey
Wallace
Fav

Smart and Irving looks like a nice defensive/offensive backcourt pairing.  Like the KO, Sully, Thompson, Zeller upfront mix and match option for BS. BS will put out the best two performers at the 4th quarter.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 01:52:37 PM by triboy16f »

Re: Good time for Rondo for Irving trade
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 01:57:55 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't think that Rondo would be a great fit next to Lebron, who wants / needs the ball in his hands.  Rondo is borderline useless offensively off the ball.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 02:01:09 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
lol

"You guys have a brand new team, lost 3 games in a row and have a 4-8 record?  Clearly you need to immediately dump the guy in whom you just invested $90 million!"

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 02:05:16 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
No chance.  Irving is way more valuable than Rondo.  It also doesn't make as much sense for the cavs as people here like to think.  Cleveland doesn't actually need a pass-first PG.  They have Lebron.  They are way better off having an elite shooter like Irving.

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 02:09:16 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I don't think that Rondo would be a great fit next to Lebron, who wants / needs the ball in his hands.  Rondo is borderline useless offensively off the ball.

Lebron has never played with a pass pg before.   These days if you see him play he does not want to bring up the ball unless he feels like he has to take over the game.  Just like how Pierce was before demanding the ball at any point of the game, i don't think Rondo will have a problem giving up the ball to Lebron anytime he wants it , especially in the 4th quarter

Right now the issue with the cavs is that Irving brings up the ball but alot of times does not know "naturally" what to do with it.  In the 4th quarter he wants to score but this is also where guys like Lebron and Love want to shine. There is a struggle

Irving on the Celtics team can rely on guys like Green, Sully, KO , Smart's passing to get the offense working and also jack up 20-22 shots without worry and get the team the points it needs. Most importantly score those less than 5 min points to close out the game

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 02:11:06 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Lebron has never played with a pass pg before.   These days if you see him play he does not want to bring up the ball unless he feels like he has to take over the game.  Just like how Pierce was before demanding the ball at any point of the game, i don't think Rondo will have a problem giving up the ball to Lebron anytime he wants it , especially in the 4th quarter

Right now the issue with the cavs is that Irving brings up the ball but alot of times does not know "naturally" what to do with it.  In the 4th quarter he wants to score but this is also where guys like Lebron and Love want to shine. There is a struggle

Irving on the Celtics team can rely on guys like Green, Sully, KO , Smart's passing to get the offense working and also jack up 20-22 shots without worry and get the team the points it needs. Most importantly score those less than 5 min points to close out the game

How much better do you think the Celtics would be right now if they exchanged Rondo and Bass for Irving and Thompson?
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 02:11:35 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
No chance.  Irving is way more valuable than Rondo.  It also doesn't make as much sense for the cavs as people here like to think.  Cleveland doesn't actually need a pass-first PG.  They have Lebron.  They are way better off having an elite shooter like Irving.

So why are the cavs mediocre then?   Love looks crappier than we have seen him before, Lebron looks tired to have to do more work than he has before and Irving looks confused to try to hold back his game. 

Just bc you have three all star calibre players, does not mean it will workout brilliantly.   

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 02:17:39 PM »

Offline puskas54_10

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 13
Irving >>> Rondo

If you love Rondo so much, then pay him his max money, and be happy with him. I mean If he's that good why would you want to trade him. Rondo can't and do not even want to score. His defense is plain bad (just watch the games, this is not Rondo 3 years ago on defense, now he thinks he's the star, let the other players scrap on d). Cavs will be fine. Probably not win the championship this year, but Rondo is so overrated here. He's a blue chip role player. He will never take control, and scoring 20-25 a game. He can't shoot. Irving is way better than him. He just needs to give effort on d, until then the cavs will not be at its best, same with Love.

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 02:17:42 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

How much better do you think the Celtics would be right now if they exchanged Rondo for Irving?

Better. The team will have a chance to win more close score games.  Backcourt defense will be better

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 02:19:48 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I put this in the "that phone call needs to be made" territory, but I also think you still end up with Marcus Smart, Bradley, and Irving crowding things. Nice problem to have.

I'm not a fan of Irving's health or competitiveness. But he's pretty good

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2014, 02:20:49 PM »

Offline CelticsBR

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
I wonder if Bradley would have a positive trade value in a deal that would also include Rondo and Irving. The Cavs are struggling on D and have changed their starting line up to address this issue and Bradley is still a heck of a player on this side of the ball.

I don't think a Irving-Rajon swype would ever be accepted, but what about a Bradley+Rondo (+ end of the lottery picks) for Irving and fillers?

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2014, 02:21:54 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

How much better do you think the Celtics would be right now if they exchanged Rondo for Irving?

Better. The team will have a chance to win more close score games. Backcourt defense will be better

I seriously doubt that's true.  Irving is a worse defender than Rondo. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2014, 02:28:54 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Better. The team will have a chance to win more close score games. Backcourt defense will be better

There are some things Rondo is better at the defensive end, but Irving is younger and is a better 1 on 1 defender right now. Anyways it's not defensive needs that we would be getting Irving. It's his ability to score, maximize the passing abilities from guys like KO, Sully, Green and have him be the "finisher" for the team.

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2014, 02:35:27 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

There are some things Rondo is better at the defensive end, but Irving is younger and is a better 1 on 1 defender right now. Anyways it's not defensive needs that we would be getting Irving. It's his ability to score, maximize the passing abilities from guys like KO, Sully, Green and have him be the "finisher" for the team.

I disagree.  I don't think Irving would make the team better offensively.  As a matter of fact, I believe he would hamper the play of Olynyk, Sully, and Green, as opposed to maximizing their abilities.  The fact that those guys play with a pass first PG is good for them as scorers. 

If you think just giving the ball to Irving and asking him to take all the shots would improve the team's chemistry or offensive production, I think you are mistaken. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2014, 02:37:20 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

I disagree.  I don't think Irving would make the team better offensively.  As a matter of fact, I believe he would hamper the play of Olynyk, Sully, and Green, as opposed to maximizing their abilities.  The fact that those guys play with a pass first PG is good for them as scorers. 

If you think just giving the ball to Irving and asking him to take all the shots would improve the team's chemistry or offensive production, I think you are mistaken.

On the flipside, having a player that can create his own looks, will cause double teams, and subsequently open looks for teammates.