Author Topic: 3 Team Trade Idea (Boston, Detroit, Phoenix)  (Read 7496 times)

Re: 3 Team Trade Idea (Boston, Detroit, Phoenix)
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2014, 12:21:05 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Lakers will tank next two years before they allow those picks to amount to anything just like Philly is doing with their protected owed pick. Protected picks are horrible now a days.

It's lightly protected. Top 5 this year, top 3 next year.
Well we know they are top 5 this year so assuming it's

Mudiay
Kobe
Young
Randle
Max FA

You think the pick will be any good in 2016? I don't. C's be lucky if it's a top 15 pick.

How do we know they'll be top 5 this year though?

What FA C will sign with that team that you have them making the playoffs next year? Especially not in the west, with what will still not a good lineup. A lot of reliance on 2 rookies (Randle will basically be a rookie), Kobe who would be 37, and the erratic Young.
This is exactly the point. Basing things on "how can you/I know" is that what good return is? We don't know what will happen with that pick given the variables and possible outcomes. It's value isn't good. Len and Jennings value isn't good. We know Rondo is a very good, all star level pg. Let us get something very good in return.

Would you pay him a 5 year max? Would you risk losing him without compensation?

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2014, 12:42:29 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'd do 5 years 16 million per. No problem with that. It's basically same $ he will get on market but one extra year that only C's can give. I'm not afraid of letting a guy walk when we have more cap space because of it and a backup plan in Smart.

Edit add: I also want to be clear that I am all for trading Rondo but it has to be for something good.  If we don't get a good deal I keep him. We could get lucky in FA after all.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 01:07:51 PM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2014, 12:46:46 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Congrats this is the worse Rondo trade yet.

Interesting take. Would a better alternative be to overpay Rondo, who's turning 29 in a couple of months, and give him a 5 year max? Do we lose him outright without compensation? Believe it or not, the market for Rondo isn't as strong as you might think. Very few teams need a PG, and those teams couldn't provide the assets the Suns could.

Alex Len was the #5 pick last season and is showing tons of improvement this season.
The Lakers pick would be a lottery pick.
The Pistons pick has the potential to be one too. At worst, it's a pick in the mid-teens.
Jennings would serve as a backup to Smart, who I'd like to see getting major minutes at the PG spot to speed up his development.

How is that not a great return for us considering where we stand in our rebuilding process?
have to agree that it's one of the worst I've seen posted.  your deal is basically giving away Rondo for a player that's a crappy PG and a project center that if we're lucky becomes a quality backup as well as slightly improving on 2 draft picks we own provided we would ever get that pick from the Lakers.

as for your perspective of having to either pay the max or lose him for nothing--neither will happen.  rondo will sign for less than max or Danny will end up doing a S&T but I see nothing that would prevent Danny from resigning Rondo.  Say Danny does pay him the current max, with the rise in the cap the following year, it still won't be a contract that prevent Danny from signing a top FA (or 2).

only purpose of this deal is to make the team horrible for years to come

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2014, 12:50:01 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Jennings should never be in Green..

Yeah, I agree.

I wouldn't touch Jennings with a 10 foot pole.