Author Topic: 3 Team Trade Idea (Boston, Detroit, Phoenix)  (Read 7450 times)

3 Team Trade Idea (Boston, Detroit, Phoenix)
« on: November 22, 2014, 09:05:06 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Boston
Coming
Jennings
Len
2015 1st rd pick from LAL which some protection(L.A. Lakers' 1st round pick to Phoenix protected for selections 1-5 in 2015, 1-3 in 2016 and 1-3 in 2017 and unprotected in 2018 [L.A. Lakers-Phoenix, 7/11/2012)
2015 1st rd pick from Detroit

Going
Rondo
2015 1st rd pick from LAC
2016 1st rd pick from Cleveland

Detroit
Coming
Rondo

Going
Monroe
Jennings

Phoenix
Coming
Monroe
2016 1st rd pick from Cleveland

Going
Len
2015 1st rd pick from LAL

Why for Boston?
We receive a talented 7-1 C in Len. Albeit one who doesn't block many shots, but is athletic, agile, and in only his second season. Jennings has awful shot selection, but his 8M contract is expiring after next season and perhaps Stevens could create value in him as it he did  for Crawford. Similar type of wild/shoot first player. Potentially receive a lottery pick from the Lakers as long as it not's in the top 5 this season, or top 3 next season. Swapping picks with Detroit (giving them our LAC pick for their own pick) means that we could potentially have a 3rd lottery pick depending on how well Rondo adjusts to his new surroundings.

Why for Detroit?
Upgrade immensely at PG, which gives their talented bigs (Drummond & Smith) a pass first player, unlike Jennings, who can set them up repeatedly with easy shots. Would get out of Jennings contract a year early. Receive a 1st rd pick from LAC. They would be in a good position to re-sign Rondo (Smith connection, Bird rights, big city, etc.)

Why for Phoenix?
Just missed the playoffs last season and our currently in the 8th spot.  McDonough has spoken about how frustrating it was to have the best record in NBA history for a team to not make the playoffs and how their goal is to make it this season Monroe would have to waive his no-trade clause, but Phoenix looks like a good for him. A team that could use low post scoring/rebounding and there wouldn't be any others bigs that could take opportunities from him like he currently has (Drummond and Smith). It would be a good place for him to showcase his talents and Phoenix would have the money to sign him outright after a season of selling him on the team, city, and culture. They receive a 2016 1st rd pick from Cleveland, to go along with the Minnesota pick owed to them and their own 1st rd picks.

Re: 3 Team Trade Idea (Boston, Detroit, Phoenix)
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 09:52:37 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Jennings should never be in Green..
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 10:33:19 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Agree....a point guard in name owner, but a gunner at heart

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 10:36:09 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Congrats this is the worse Rondo trade yet.

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 10:51:25 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Jennings should never be in Green..

This is all that needs to be said about this topic.

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 11:18:48 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Congrats this is the worse Rondo trade yet.

Interesting take. Would a better alternative be to overpay Rondo, who's turning 29 in a couple of months, and give him a 5 year max? Do we lose him outright without compensation? Believe it or not, the market for Rondo isn't as strong as you might think. Very few teams need a PG, and those teams couldn't provide the assets the Suns could.

Alex Len was the #5 pick last season and is showing tons of improvement this season.
The Lakers pick would be a lottery pick.
The Pistons pick has the potential to be one too. At worst, it's a pick in the mid-teens.
Jennings would serve as a backup to Smart, who I'd like to see getting major minutes at the PG spot to speed up his development.

How is that not a great return for us considering where we stand in our rebuilding process?

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 12:27:11 PM »

Offline puskas54_10

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 13
So you think the suns will dump Len, who showed against the celtics he can be special at a not so deep position (center) and give up a potential Top 6-10 pick. I don't think it has a real chance.
The suns are deep at PF (Morris twins), they don't need Monroe (PF), who will want a max contract next year, and the Cleveland pick is not a good pick compared to the Lakers pick.

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 12:34:24 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
So you think the suns will dump Len, who showed against the celtics he can be special at a not so deep position (center) and give up a potential Top 6-10 pick. I don't think it has a real chance.
The suns are deep at PF (Morris twins), they don't need Monroe (PF), who will want a max contract next year, and the Cleveland pick is not a good pick compared to the Lakers pick.

Yeah, I don't like this deal for Phoenix. It remains to be seen if they'll pay Dragic, much less Dragic AND Monroe. PHX parlaying their assets and making a move wouldn't surprise me, but not for Monroe.

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 12:43:55 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I think Len Jennings and a pick is pretty good return for Rondo. I am not sure though if Pho would see Monroe as enough of an upgrade even straight up much less with the valuable LAL pick included. Maybe if the Det pick went to Pho and we got the LAL pick.

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 12:57:35 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

One of the Morris twins is actually a SF and Monroe is more of a C, given his weakness defending stretch 4's and wanting to be inside offensively, than a PF. The Suns don't have any low post scoring and Monroe is a good fit for that team and a huge upgrade over current starter (Plumlee). It's more of a win now approach for the Suns, although Monroe is still very young (24) and only 3 years older than Len. Perhaps we'd have to give something else to the Suns (future protected pick, Philly's 2nd this year, etc.), but the parameters would be in place.

Detroit and Phoenix are both looking to win now, and Rondo and Monroe, could be the final piece to get both in the playoffs. Us on the other hand, are still in the beginning to middle stages of a rebuild, and have a player (Smart) that needs to be groomed for the position that he'll ultimately be most effective at.

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2014, 01:05:53 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
I think Len Jennings and a pick is pretty good return for Rondo. I am not sure though if Pho would see Monroe as enough of an upgrade even straight up much less with the valuable LAL pick included. Maybe if the Det pick went to Pho and we got the LAL pick.

Hmmm, interesting. I could see that happening too. Detroit obviously needs to get a pick if they're trading away their pick since they traded away last year's pick to Charlotte and the Stepien rule won't allow it otherwise.

So...

Boston
Len
Jennings
1st (LAL)

Detroit
Rondo
1st (LAC)

Phoenix
Monroe
1st (Det)

I would do that too and think it'll be a great return. We would have a young center in Len and be in position to draft an excellent prospect in the 6-10 range (Justice, Cauley-Stein, Alexander, etc.). Not bad at all.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 01:26:19 PM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2014, 01:41:06 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
If I understand correctly, Detroit can trade their pick this year. You can't trade two future firsts in a row, but you can trade your future 1st every year. Once CHA drafted Vonleh, DET was free to deal this year's pick, I think....

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2014, 02:11:41 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Len's stock is on the rise.  He's played well.  I went to a Suns forum and saw a poll where 78% of their fans thought he should start at center.

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2014, 03:18:33 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I've never liked Len.

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2014, 04:10:12 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
If I understand correctly, Detroit can trade their pick this year. You can't trade two future firsts in a row, but you can trade your future 1st every year. Once CHA drafted Vonleh, DET was free to deal this year's pick, I think....

Yeah, last year's pick is irrelevant to the situation. The only relevant matter in determining whether or not can trade their pick this year is whether or not they own a first round pick next year. Stepein rule deals only with future drafts.