Author Topic: 3 Team Trade Idea (Boston, Detroit, Phoenix)  (Read 7480 times)

Re: 3 Team Trade Idea (Boston, Detroit, Phoenix)
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2014, 04:12:56 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
As for this trade, no thanks.

I'm not totally against trading Rondo, but only if we get a comparable talent in return, not drafts picks or prospects with mediocre potential.

And for the love of all that is holy, I do not ever want to see Brandon Jennings wearing a Celtics jersey. Gross!

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2014, 05:13:02 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
If I'm taking on Jennings I want Monroe!!!

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2014, 05:47:41 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
This is not a terrible idea if it's even possible to pry that Lakers' pick away from Phoenix. It seems to me, however, that Len is another Zeller, a center with some ability but ultimately a backup for a deep playoff team. If we're going to move Rondo, let's get a rim protector that is a long term solution at center. Jennings is just filler in this trade. The Lakers will probably do this right and wind up with their own pick by finishing with a really terrible record, maybe second to Philadelphia. Detroit will probably devalue their pick with Rondo's insertion into the lineup and Smith will be a full time power forward. I wish that this deal had more certainty about the picks. I could go either way on this trade. Interesting proposal.

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2014, 06:22:00 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
This is not a terrible idea if it's even possible to pry that Lakers' pick away from Phoenix. It seems to me, however, that Len is another Zeller, a center with some ability but ultimately a backup for a deep playoff team. If we're going to move Rondo, let's get a rim protector that is a long term solution at center. Jennings is just filler in this trade. The Lakers will probably do this right and wind up with their own pick by finishing with a really terrible record, maybe second to Philadelphia. Detroit will probably devalue their pick with Rondo's insertion into the lineup and Smith will be a full time power forward. I wish that this deal had more certainty about the picks. I could go either way on this trade. Interesting proposal.

Good post. Much better than the "Jennings in green? No way!" posts, even though we had similar gunners in the past (Robinson, Crawford), have one presently (Thornton), and reportedly had interest in similar type players in the past (Jamal Crawford, Nick Young). Not like I'm clamoring for Jennings to be an integral part of our team for the future.

C's...Len's floor is probably Zeller. However, he's really making strides and the argument could be made that he's a superior player right now.

Pistons...Yes, Rondo could catapult them into the playoffs. There risk, like ours, is Rondo bolting in free agency.

Suns...there is risk for them certainly, just like with us. The Lakers could very well end of keeping the pick, the Suns miss out on the playoffs, Dragic goes elsewhere (unlike Lowry for example) in order to start making the playoffs, they have to wait until 2016 to acquire the Lakers pick and wait a couple of years thereafter for that player to improve, and Len doesn't develop any better than Zeller.

As with all trades, there is a certain amount of risk for all teams. That said, the trade is solid for all the teams as to where they currently stand in their respective contention/rebuilding process. The Suns and Pistons are both probably a player away from the playoffs. Conversely, we're still a couple of years away from contending and losing Rondo for nothing could set us back a few years more.

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2014, 07:38:09 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
What concerns me most is that Lakers' pick, the real prize in this deal. The Lakers will be 20 or 30 million dollars under the cap (at least) depending upon what they do with Jordan Hill and how much the cap goes up at the end of this season. Their dream scenario is to be very bad this year, keep their pick, and draft one of the talented bigs in this draft. At the end of this season, they could sign one or two big time free agents and be a playoff team again. This totally kills the value of the pick. The variance on where this pick winds up being is so great and completely out of our control while we're trading basically a triple double averaging player. That is incredibly risky.

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2014, 08:08:35 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
What concerns me most is that Lakers' pick, the real prize in this deal. The Lakers will be 20 or 30 million dollars under the cap (at least) depending upon what they do with Jordan Hill and how much the cap goes up at the end of this season. Their dream scenario is to be very bad this year, keep their pick, and draft one of the talented bigs in this draft. At the end of this season, they could sign one or two big time free agents and be a playoff team again. This totally kills the value of the pick. The variance on where this pick winds up being is so great and completely out of our control while we're trading basically a triple double averaging player. That is incredibly risky.

Devil's advocate...Soon to be 29 year old player that will likely command a 5 year max deal, who struggles to score, who doesn't seem to impact the W/L much, and who is shooting an absurd 33% from the FT line (8-24).

Yes, it's risky, but at the same time Rondo's star hasn't exactly been shining since about 2012.

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2014, 10:24:10 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Congrats this is the worse Rondo trade yet.

Interesting take. Would a better alternative be to overpay Rondo, who's turning 29 in a couple of months, and give him a 5 year max? Do we lose him outright without compensation? Believe it or not, the market for Rondo isn't as strong as you might think. Very few teams need a PG, and those teams couldn't provide the assets the Suns could.

Alex Len was the #5 pick last season and is showing tons of improvement this season.
The Lakers pick would be a lottery pick.
The Pistons pick has the potential to be one too. At worst, it's a pick in the mid-teens.
Jennings would serve as a backup to Smart, who I'd like to see getting major minutes at the PG spot to speed up his development.

How is that not a great return for us considering where we stand in our rebuilding process?
Jennings is not an all-star level player neither is Len. And you are giving away the best player of the trade plus a first. I'll pass till something better comes along.

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2014, 10:28:58 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Congrats this is the worse Rondo trade yet.

Interesting take. Would a better alternative be to overpay Rondo, who's turning 29 in a couple of months, and give him a 5 year max? Do we lose him outright without compensation? Believe it or not, the market for Rondo isn't as strong as you might think. Very few teams need a PG, and those teams couldn't provide the assets the Suns could.

Alex Len was the #5 pick last season and is showing tons of improvement this season.
The Lakers pick would be a lottery pick.
The Pistons pick has the potential to be one too. At worst, it's a pick in the mid-teens.
Jennings would serve as a backup to Smart, who I'd like to see getting major minutes at the PG spot to speed up his development.

How is that not a great return for us considering where we stand in our rebuilding process?
Jennings is not an all-star level player neither is Len. And you are giving away the best player of the trade plus a first. I'll pass till something better comes along.

I agree Jennings is not, no argument there. Len could develop into one, we still don't know, but the potential is there. Yes, we give up give up a 1st rd draft pick, but it's a very late one at that. However, you forgot to mention the real prize in the return, potentially speaking, which is the 1st rd pick from the Lakers.

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2014, 10:55:04 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
Lakers will tank next two years before they allow those picks to amount to anything just like Philly is doing with their protected owed pick. Protected picks are horrible now a days.

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2014, 11:01:58 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Mediocrity here we come, is how i would sum up this trade.

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2014, 11:10:57 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Lakers will tank next two years before they allow those picks to amount to anything just like Philly is doing with their protected owed pick. Protected picks are horrible now a days.

It's lightly protected. Top 5 this year, top 3 next year. Philly's protection is much more . Plus, you can't even compare rosters between the two.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 11:16:24 AM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2014, 11:15:02 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Mediocrity here we come, is how i would sum up this trade.

Mediocrity would actually be an upgrade. Have you seen our record? Perhaps you liked the trade idea and that's what you meant.

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2014, 11:19:58 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

It's lightly protected. Top 5 this year, top 3 next year.
Well we know they are top 5 this year so assuming it's

Mudiay
Kobe
Young
Randle
Max FA

You think the pick will be any good in 2016? I don't. C's be lucky if it's a top 15 pick.

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2014, 12:00:32 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Mudiay
Kobe
Young
Randle
Max FA

You think the pick will be any good in 2016? I don't. C's be lucky if it's a top 15 pick.

How do we know they'll be top 5 this year though?

What FA C will sign with that team that you have them making the playoffs next year? Especially not in the west, with what will still not a good lineup. A lot of reliance on 2 rookies (Randle will basically be a rookie), Kobe who would be 37, and the erratic Young.

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2014, 12:18:17 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

Mudiay
Kobe
Young
Randle
Max FA

How do we know they'll be top 5 this year though?

What FA C will sign with that team that you have them making the playoffs next year? Especially not in the west, with what will still not a good lineup. A lot of reliance on 2 rookies (Randle will basically be a rookie), Kobe who would be 37, and the erratic Young.
This is exactly the point. Basing things on "how can you/I know" is that what good return is? We don't know what will happen with that pick given the variables and possible outcomes. It's value isn't good. Len and Jennings value isn't good. We know Rondo is a very good, all star level pg. Let us get something very good in return.