Author Topic: Marcus Smart has been a big loss  (Read 11534 times)

Re: Marcus Smart has been a big loss
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2014, 05:15:59 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
After tonight's game...I am ready to see Rondo get traded...It seems that EVERY team we play, has a Point Guard who can actually shoot and make shots....Rondo for Irving would be perfect for both teams----Cavs need a Pass first PG for their Go To guys Love and LeBron....we need one who can score....we really do not have Go To guys.

Hey wait a minute, Rondo should get the max, he's a leader, he's an all star, he's the best passer since stockton, how dare u talk bad about the great Rondo..

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2014, 05:55:59 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I'll say it before and I'll say it again.

Other than the obvious fact that we have no size, we also have no CONSISTENT scorers.

Nevermind Gasol and Randolph (who played as advertised) but the Griz also had guys like Conley, Leurer and Courtney Lee that were knocking down shots.

Yes Thornton, Bradley, Green and Bass provide offense, but it's just not enough.

We are fourth in the league in points per game and seventh in the league in Offensive Rating.  Offense has not been a problem for the 2014-2015 Boston Celtics.

If we had been playing passable defense up to this point, we'd probably be 7 and 4 as opposed to 4 and 7.

Agreed, defense is a far bigger issue right now than offense.

However, we also don't have a go to scorer right now and a go to guy late in games.

I agree, we are certainly putting points up on the board.

I just wish we had more consistent scorers as opposed to just the hot and cold spurts from Bradley, Thornton, Green, etc.

Don't look now, but Jeff Green has been a fairly consistent scorer so far this season.  He's averaging over 18 points a game, and hasn't had a single game [without] scoring in double figures.

Also, I assume that you are placing Rondo, Sullinger, and Olynyk--3 of our 4 top offensive players--in the etcetera category.  I'm not sure why you aren't mentioning those players, specifically.  Clearly, our offense is much more than just "Bradley, Thornton, Green, etc."

That was a typo.  Thanks, and TP. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2014, 06:23:40 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I love Smaht just as much as the next person but this thread is funny.

Our defense has been garbage all season, with or without the kid!

Edit: Ron Adams...

Guys are getting by Rondo and even AB without much fuss.  That causes so much pressure for the rest of the other guys to try to bail them out (and guys like KO and Sully don't have that capability)

With Smart he usually does not let his man get by. He harasses them until the shot is released.  Makes a bigger difference than you think

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2014, 09:06:37 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
The point isn't that he can't help, the point is whether it's a big loss or not. I'm just saying it's bigger than the players. Losing Ron Adams doesn't get talked about at all. Doing so much running on offense in itself can take energy from what you have left for defense, if you already do that, you're going to have to have a defensive scheme that allows you to overcome that. No, our defense asks our perimeter players to keep these guys in front of them which takes so much energy most of which we already expelled on offense (the PG are most often the best players on teams).

To me, it's not surprising that the best defenders are usually limited players offensively. Look at Melo and Durant, they can score at will but they struggle defensively. LeBron is really good on both sides of the floor but he is an exception, not the rule. Just take a second and think about all the guys in the NBA you would say are good/great defenders, I would bet that most of those guys aren't the better scorers.

I just think there has to be balance, if CBS wants them to perform break neck on offense, he has to expect/accept a decline in defense. I think  before the season he knew we would be sacrificing defense for offense (conceding our bigs weren't going to be good on d anyway), I think the plan is to just outscore opponents, it's just not working.

This type of offense isn't something sustainable in the NBA when it matters anyway. We should dial it back some on offense to have something left for defense. It's fun to watch our offense but our guys look dead in 4th quarters, by the time it's down to stopping someone, the other team is fresher and can turn it up a little.

I think our defense will get better but it won't be what people (who aren't being realistic) are expecting.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2014, 12:12:06 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Other than the obvious fact that we have no size, we also have no CONSISTENT scorers.

Nevermind Gasol and Randolph (who played as advertised) but the Griz also had guys like Conley, Leurer and Courtney Lee that were knocking down shots.

Yes Thornton, Bradley, Green and Bass provide offense, but it's just not enough.

We are fourth in the league in points per game and seventh in the league in Offensive Rating.  Offense has not been a problem for the 2014-2015 Boston Celtics.

If we had been playing passable defense up to this point, we'd probably be 7 and 4 as opposed to 4 and 7.

However, we also don't have a go to scorer right now and a go to guy late in games.

I just wish we had more consistent scorers as opposed to just the hot and cold spurts from Bradley, Thornton, Green, etc.

Don't look now, but Jeff Green has been a fairly consistent scorer so far this season.  He's averaging over 18 points a game, and hasn't had a single game [without] scoring in double figures.

Also, I assume that you are placing Rondo, Sullinger, and Olynyk--3 of our 4 top offensive players--in the etcetera category.  I'm not sure why you aren't mentioning those players, specifically.  Clearly, our offense is much more than just "Bradley, Thornton, Green, etc."

That was a typo.  Thanks, and TP.

I got yo back mang.

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2014, 12:28:45 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
After tonight's game...I am ready to see Rondo get traded...It seems that EVERY team we play, has a Point Guard who can actually shoot and make shots....Rondo for Irving would be perfect for both teams----Cavs need a Pass first PG for their Go To guys Love and LeBron....we need one who can score....we really do not have Go To guys.

Hey wait a minute, Rondo should get the max, he's a leader, he's an all star, he's the best passer since stockton, how dare u talk bad about the great Rondo..

Wow! That's actually an accurate description of Rondo!

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2014, 12:57:52 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

at this rate Rondo will be the 1st player in the long time signed to a max contract (if Danny loses his mind) carrying a team to a bottom 5 record

« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2014, 03:38:22 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

at this rate Rondo will be the 1st player in the long time signed to a max contract (if Danny loses his mind) carrying a team to a bottom 5 record

At this rate, we are not actually a team with a bottom 5 record.  We currently have the ninth worst record in the league. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2014, 10:55:40 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Don't look now, but Jeff Green has been a fairly consistent scorer so far this season.  He's averaging over 18 points a game, and hasn't had a single game without scoring in double figures.

1.)Rondo - Rondo may be showing up on the stat sheet as one of our 3 or 4 top players offensively, but you know as well as I do, he's not a "go to guy" at the end of a game.

2.)Sullinger - I've been impressed so far this season with Sullinger. And again, maybe he shows up on Celtics.com as a top 3 offensive player on the team. However, he also puts up a lot of 3 pointers which he misses.  I'd like to see him translate a lot of that offense in the paint, not putting up bricks outside the 3 point line

3.)Olynyk - Yes, Olynyk can score. But he also misses a lot of shots as well. Seeing how we are going by stats, if you could show me the "hit or miss" ratio on the shots that Rondo/Sully/KO are putting up, I would appreciate it. Until then, as improved Olynyk is, I am not ready to admire him for his offensive prowess. Nor am I comfortable in giving him the ball at the end of a pivotal game

I think you and I are talking about two different things.  I am more concerned with improving our 4-7 record and acquiring the talent to help us win those close games (like the 122-121 loss to Cleveland.)

That concerns me more than who our top 3 "offensive players" are because clearly it's not translating in the win/loss column.

« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2014, 11:44:22 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
The "hit or miss ratio"?  Are you talking about field goal percentage stats?

Those are fairly easy to come by.  I'm sure you are aware that Kelly Olynyk's "hit or miss ratio" is among the league leaders. 

I, too, am concerned about seeing the team improve on their 4 and 7 record.  For me it's a fairly straightforward scenario right now.  Our offense has been very good, while our defense has been abysmal. 

I think that improving the defense should be a much higher priority if Danny and Brad want to improve the team's record. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2014, 11:47:16 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Those are fairly easy to come by.  I'm sure you are aware that Kelly Olynyk's "hit or miss ratio" is among the league leaders.

Ok, didn't realize that.

Thanks for the info.

Then perhaps if we can plug a legit center into the lineup, we'd be a lot better.

« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2014, 11:50:26 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

Ok, didn't realize that.

Thanks for the info.

Then perhaps if we can plug a legit center into the lineup, we'd be a lot better.

I can't tell if that's meant as sarcasm or not, but I do agree that plugging a legit center into the lineup would likely make us a lot better. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2014, 11:57:19 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Would I trade Rondo for Kyrie Irving straight up?  Yes.  Rondo has 1 year left on his deal.  Irving is only 22 and has immense upside.  If you are worried about Irving learning to distribute the ball, yes that's a concern, but that's why we also have Smart. 

To make the money work, we might have to take on a bad salary from Cleveland.  I don't think Cleveland would do the trade, but this trade might make sense for a team, like us, who is rebuilding, and a team like Cleveland who have designs of being a contender immediatly.

« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2014, 01:46:46 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
That concerns me more than who our top 3 "offensive players" are because clearly it's not translating in the win/loss column.

How can you not have Green in that list?   That bombs away at what is a very credible and insightful post.

« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2014, 02:35:45 PM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
We would've won that Cleveland game if smart was out there probably the Suns as well.