Author Topic: Marcus Smart has been a big loss  (Read 11554 times)

Re: Marcus Smart has been a big loss
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2014, 11:15:12 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
His versatile defense , ability raise his game when things get ugly and leadership.

Hope he is back soon and glad we got to draft him

Not really.

The big loss is the Celtics are getting pulverized in the paint because we have no competent center.

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2014, 11:15:35 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Big loss because it means we have to see Phil Pressey out there.

This 1000 times.

That kid is awful!!

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2014, 11:30:18 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
I'll say it before and I'll say it again.

Other than the obvious fact that we have no size, we also have no CONSISTENT scorers.

Nevermind Gasol and Randolph (who played as advertised) but the Griz also had guys like Conley, Leurer and Courtney Lee that were knocking down shots.

Yes Thornton, Bradley, Green and Bass provide offense, but it's just not enough.

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2014, 11:50:10 AM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
It only takes games against good teams in the West to show how abysmal our team is!  No go to players, no dominating center--nothin! 
Danny needs to start taking some chances with his chips NOW, because there's not a single player on this team to build around!  Maybe Marcus Smart one day, if all the stars line up, but that's about it.  Either try something, anything now, or just go full, all out tank!  What good does it do to eek out a win here and there against weak Eastern C. teams, only to be crushed by anybody decent from the West.
Nobody wants the players we have, individually---even Rondo, who right now is the best we have of our good to decent players.  The draft, or an overpay in a trade is the only way we're gonna get anything done!  Aquiring more picks, or waiting til next off season to try and convince a top FA to come to this mess , is just not going to work!  C'mon Danny!!!

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2014, 12:03:57 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
After tonight's game...I am ready to see Rondo get traded...It seems that EVERY team we play, has a Point Guard who can actually shoot and make shots....Rondo for Irving would be perfect for both teams----Cavs need a Pass first PG for their Go To guys Love and LeBron....we need one who can score....we really do not have Go To guys.

overreaction much? I expected going in being destroyed by the Griz. They're the hottest team right now in the NBA and has the best record and we suck. What did you expect? Rebuilding phase #2, our team still sucks and that SHOULD be expected. Rondo doesn't need to be traded, he needs HELP. Get him a #1 guy and defensive center and even then we may still be looking at how to improve THAT roster with role players. This team is FAR from being done, if anything I would say this team is only 20% there.

We need a go-to-scorer and a defensive big. We have none of those. Jeff Green has improved and became more consistent than last year and his defense stepped up a notch but he isn't an elite player. Neither Sully, Kelly, or Bass are centers and Zeller is the only center we got. Kelly isn't a starter on a contender and neither is Bradley. Most of our bench won't even see playing time on regular playoff teams. Like Pressey. Do you think he will see minutes on a contending team. Rondo is not our problem.

Hey, I didn't even mention Defense....Rondo has played ZERO defense this year...I don't know what happened to him---he was great his first few years---but he is either lazy or cannot do it anymore....time after time, he loses his man---and it ends up being an EASY hoop, because one of our bigs has to cover for him--leaving their bigs Wide open.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2014, 01:43:09 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Other than the obvious fact that we have no size, we also have no CONSISTENT scorers.

Nevermind Gasol and Randolph (who played as advertised) but the Griz also had guys like Conley, Leurer and Courtney Lee that were knocking down shots.

Yes Thornton, Bradley, Green and Bass provide offense, but it's just not enough.

We are fourth in the league in points per game and seventh in the league in Offensive Rating.  Offense has not been a problem for the 2014-2015 Boston Celtics.

If we had been playing passable defense up to this point, we'd probably be 7 and 4 as opposed to 4 and 7.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2014, 01:59:05 PM »

Offline AngryAndIrritable

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29

This 1000 times.

That kid is awful!!

Oh great, here comes the 'Pressey is awful' smokescreen.

The fact that we are even mentioning Pressey's (in) ability - he's trying to make the most out of his limited talents - indicates to me that none of us have realistic feasible plans to make this team better.

We will stumble to about three dozen wins, but improving this team to the point of contention is going to be a long uninteresting process.

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2014, 02:13:06 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

We are fourth in the league in points per game and seventh in the league in Offensive Rating.  Offense has not been a problem for the 2014-2015 Boston Celtics.

If we had been playing passable defense up to this point, we'd probably be 7 and 4 as opposed to 4 and 7.

Main reason the defense is so bad is the Sully / Olynyk starting big man pairing.

I wonder how much the offense would drop off if one of those two was replaced with your standard fare offensively limited center.

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2014, 02:18:17 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

Main reason the defense is so bad is the Sully / Olynyk starting big man pairing.

I wonder how much the offense would drop off if one of those two was replaced with your standard fare offensively limited center.

Good point.  I wonder if there's any way the defense can improve to at least close to average with the current starting lineup?

An average--or even slightly below average--defense and a top level offense should be good enough to make the playoffs. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2014, 02:21:38 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

This 1000 times.

That kid is awful!!

Oh great, here comes the 'Pressey is awful' smokescreen.

The fact that we are even mentioning Pressey's (in) ability - he's trying to make the most out of his limited talents - indicates to me that none of us have realistic feasible plans to make this team better.

We will stumble to about three dozen wins, but improving this team to the point of contention is going to be a long uninteresting process.

Huh?

We have to mention Pressey's inability because he is being forced to play and his talent is indeed limited. Smart playing in his place would be a feasible step towards making this team much better despite all the flaws we have, especially in our team defense.

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2014, 02:46:34 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Agreed, defense is a far bigger issue right now than offense.

However, we also don't have a go to scorer right now and a go to guy late in games.

I agree, we are certainly putting points up on the board.

I just wish we had more consistent scorers as opposed to just the hot and cold spurts from Bradley, Thornton, Green, etc.

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2014, 03:22:48 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

However, we also don't have a go to scorer right now and a go to guy late in games.

I just wish we had more consistent scorers as opposed to just the hot and cold spurts from Bradley, Thornton, Green, etc.

Don't look now, but Jeff Green has been a fairly consistent scorer so far this season.  He's averaging over 18 points a game, and hasn't had a single game without scoring in double figures.

Also, I assume that you are placing Rondo, Sullinger, and Olynyk--3 of our 4 top offensive players--in the etcetera category.  I'm not sure why you aren't mentioning those players, specifically.  Clearly, our offense is much more than just "Bradley, Thornton, Green, etc."
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 05:55:13 PM by Celtics18 »
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2014, 04:15:01 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Don't look now, but Jeff Green has been a fairly consistent scorer so far this season.  He's averaging over 18 points a game, and hasn't had a single game [without] scoring in double figures.

Also, I assume that you are placing Rondo, Sullinger, and Olynyk--3 of our 4 top offensive players--in the etcetera category.  I'm not sure why you aren't mentioning those players, specifically.  Clearly, our offense is much more than just "Bradley, Thornton, Green, etc."

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2014, 04:57:07 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I love Smaht just as much as the next person but this thread is funny.

Our defense has been garbage all season, with or without the kid!

Edit: Ron Adams...
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2014, 05:11:34 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
It won't hurt having a good defensive player on the floor who brings a lot of energy.  That is what he has been so far.

He won't turn the defense around by himself but I think we can certainly use him.   His minutes are being taken by Turner who I like less on both sides of the court.

Early on his was making an impact in games near the end.  We have really been dropping off at the end of games.  I don't think it would hurt having him out there.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford